Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918388 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
I would also recommend updating the GPU drivers.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Logrus

With GLSL support disabled the textures are back. But the picture does not look too good overally now. Is it possible to make it work with the shaders somehow?
Attaching another log with NO SSE

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Then the only other possible option is to update your GPU drivers.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Logrus

Indeed updating drivers helped:) The shadows work too. Thank you!
I have another couple of irrelevant questions:
1. How do I enable the FPS counter?
2. What are Framebuffer Shockwaves?

Indeed updating drivers helped:) The shadows work too. Thank you!
I have another couple of irrelevant questions:
1. How do I enable the FPS counter?
2. What are Framebuffer Shockwaves?
1. Should be somewhere at the bottom of the advanced settings tab in the launcher
2. Enabling framebuffer shockwaves adds a distortion effect to shockwaves

Offline Logrus

Are there any cockpit mods for AoA and WiH compatible with Complete edition?

Offline Doko

Just a bug report:

I created a new pilot to play AoA, started reading the entries but found that "The rift I" and "The rift 2" are both available, marked as new but totally empty.

Really looking forward to the updated release. Great work putting this all together! I finally got a chance to give it a try this evening, and I've used the FSO installer to make sure I have the latest release, but I'm still having trouble getting to any gameplay. I'm using a nightly build and I'm able to begin a campaign, but the loading screen before the initial cutscene ends up freezing up the game. I'm not really sure how to proceed. I've attached the logfile. Any suggestions? I have disabled the shaders and other flags as suggested in any previous posts. Thanks for checking this out.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wait a long time. It's caching models.

That was it. Should have been more patient!  :)  Can't wait to get through this. So far, it looks awesome!

Offline Kolgena

Congrats team on the rerelease! I'm excited to replay these campaigns after so long.

Few questions: Did glowpoint lights get disabled? I don't see them anymore with deferred lighting on. Additionally, I see colored squares around glowpoint sprites that look like this |o|, as if the background for the sprite is somehow made visible. I remember seeing this same bug on the forums like a year ago. In the tech lab, things look fine.

Did the MediaVPs 2014 get updated since their original january release? The post was edited in october 2015, but nothing is said about how recent the files are.

Soooo.
Just finished the newest version of WiH1. first of all I would like to congratulate you all guys for all the new things you prepared for us. I'm not going write poems about how awesome it was. etc.. we have tones of this already. Nothing new to add here. The current content is a huuuggee improvement since the firs release :) What I admire the most is your attitude towards gameplay and mission design. You think of every little detail. Playing classic freespace campaigns and BP are totally different experiences. Shows how much potential this game has.

Ah. And the thing I enjoyed the most. New Mainhall music in WiH rocks :) Perfect choice.

I'd also like to congratulate the Team for the voice acting. It must have been a titanic struggle to put it all together. It added life to the whole narration. Many voices were chosen and acted perfectly like Brie, Simms (combat related lines during missions), Steele, Calder. However. I'm gonna throw a few sour pills to that sweetness. There were many things that I did not enjoy in WiH VA at all.

First fundamental question. Did all the VA participants played the game? (please don't lash me if that has been explained already. I don't have time to read and track every thread here :P)

-In many stages of various briefings the roles were acted/ read in such a rush (GTVA reporter?) that I had problems with understanding some of the sentences. "Captain Telfer" played it well. Balanced speeches like he was really talking to the pilots giving them proper instructions. Can't say the same thing about Simms. Too emotional.

-Indus tactial. Nice voice and tone. Really. But for an airline worker. Actress was talking about naval warfare stuff in the middle of a fierce firefight like she was talking to the liner passengers to buckle up before take-off. Definitely not a tone that I would expect from a professional military officer in a heat of battle.

And finally something that made me feel like I was slapped in the face with wet towel. These flirtatious talks between Laporte and Simms, especially in the middle of battle. Before the VA I simply didn't care about that, ignored it. But now it's been exaggerated. In a very infantile tone. Lines about "feeling a lady welcome" in "Pawns on the board of bone" was it's apex. I was near facepalming. In that part instead of pilots I was hearing a schoolgirl chatter. I had a feeling that my ears and eyes are receiving two different stories from two different worlds. Of course I don't blame the girls acting here :) That's a script thing. I never liked the way the relations between these two were designed. Not at all. "Sweetness overkill" in their voices doesn't help it either :/

< mah I almost feel guilty for saying this :sigh: I know. That was not a professional production with high qualified actors and I'm an as***e with exaggerated expectations ;)>

Overall I had a feeling that male roles were played much better (that's the reason I asked a question about everybody playing the game :)).
Boys put less unnecessary emotions into their parts and that makes these roles more convenient and um.."realistic".   

But for the record. It was a great pleasure to play this campaign once again with such amount of new content. The whole story became more lively and I must admit that I was drawn much deeper into the whole BP Universe. The whole adventure made me want more :)

Once again. Congratulations on successful release. To all of you.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
The new release seems to be a little too much for that piece of junk I'm proud to call my computer. Aristeia was lagging hard as do all missions that involve more than a hand full of cap ships. Removing the advanced.vps didn't do too much. Any suggestions which features to switch off to make the thing run a little smoothier?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Have you disabled shadows, or used a very recent nightly build?  If you have, you could also try disabled deferred rendering?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Shadows, env mapping, soft particles, post processing, framebuffer shockwaves. If that still doesn't help try lowering the detail level in-game which will cause ships to switch to lower-poly models sooner.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Turn down lighting to 4 or 3 pips, especially if you haven't turned off deferred rendering.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Kolgena

Shadows is the big one. It eats FPS like mad.

Deferred lighting almost feels like it runs faster than default lighting, but could just be me.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Deferred is supposed to be faster as it batches up a bunch of object-renders and submits them in one OpenGL call rather than in individual calls, but some people have reported faster framerates from disabling it. Having said that adjusting the lighting pip per Phantom Hoovers post could be a better solution.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Congrats! Major congrats on the new release! Great work to the whole team. :)

I played AoA: Director's Cut for all it was worth (I wasn't terribly interested in WiH, but I do want to know what happens next).

Can someone tell me - when they say "new story content and hidden secrets" for Age of Aquarius, does that mean that there's enough new stuff to be worth another playthrough? Like, since I really loved the original AoA, is this really a full enough "revamp" that I'd be missing something not to try it out? Does the same go for "Freespace Blue"?

Offline -Norbert-

I just had a funny experience with the Sathanas and the Phoenicia.

The invul script fired and made the Hecate immune to damage, but only after it lost it's engines. And so the Sath continued to happily beam it until it lost it's forward guns, leaving the disabled Phoenicia at 1% hull behind.

Any chance you could add a condition into the invul-sexpt to check if the engines are still online, or alternatively protect the engines from being destroyed? It makes little sense to have the Pheonicia survive at 1% hull and be beamed for 2 minutes without being destroyed or warping out.