Author Topic: Stereoscopic Mod Possible?  (Read 5566 times)

Stereoscopic Mod Possible?
I know very little about how the "FreeSpace" application works (and I apologize in advance for not doing the research) but I figured after a few google searches and forum searches for 'stereoscopic' I would come directly to the source. From what I gather, the application does not use DirectX, so using NVidia's built-in stereoscopic software is not an option....
but can the images be rendered twice (side-by-side with a different degree of camera separation)? If that is practical mod I would love to see it happen. I have the HMZ-T1, and it has the possibility of forcing into Side-by-Side quite easily, so sending the processing signal would not need to happen. Those unfamiliar can check out the product below.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=HMZT1

Can only imagine seeing BSG is such a realistic perspective!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Stereoscopic Mod Possible?
It is definitely possible to do this, however the problem is that in order to really develop this, us developers need hardware with the necessary capabilities. It's definitely something we're interested in, given the whole Occulus Rift thing, just not something we have a real timetable for. Making sure the game is stable and fast is our first priority right now.

Unfortunately, changes like these are not something a mod can do, as they require changes to the engine itself.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
AFAIK Meant to be seen Community are working on an software that convert all games in SbS stereoscopic view, just for Oculus rift support.

I'm noob about those things, but it should work for FS2 too.
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
It is possible, and it is not possible. Let me explain.

I have the necessary hardware. I use my 3DS Max and Archicad in shutter-glass full stereoscopic 3D mode.

I can play FS2 in 3D when it is in DirectX mode. Diaspora is using full OpenGL mode, and the OpenGL in the game somehow does not contains the necessary binds for the stereoscopic drivers to make the angle separation. The nvidia card enters into stereo mode, everything works, but the view is not stereoscopic.

So, the answer is as I wrote above: everything is full 3D in the game, so it is possible to play it in full stereoscopic mode, but R1 with the actual build just cant do it right.

However maybe there is a way around this technical obstacle, and one of the many thousands of players will find it, but right know I just cannot do it no matter what tricks I tried... and believe me, I tried.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
However maybe there is a way around this technical obstacle, and one of the many thousands of players will find it, but right know I just cannot do it no matter what tricks I tried... and believe me, I tried.

As someone who knows a bit about the code side of things, I am fairly confident in my assessment that there are engine-side changes that have to happen for this to work.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
What ! You can play Diaspora or any Freespace open mods on 3D ? When you say, the view is not stereoscopic, do you mean images doesn't converge ? there some ghosting effects and so on ? Or, just the game aren't rendered in 3D. I have a 3D Vision 2 monitor (Asus VG278H) but since 3D Vision works only on Direct X game, I give up on Freespace or to any game using Open GL.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
It is definitely possible to do this, however the problem is that in order to really develop this, us developers need hardware with the necessary capabilities. It's definitely something we're interested in, given the whole Occulus Rift thing, just not something we have a real timetable for. Making sure the game is stable and fast is our first priority right now.

Unfortunately, changes like these are not something a mod can do, as they require changes to the engine itself.

If you have a nVidia GPU (6600 series and later), you can install 3D Vision driver and use 3D Vision Discovery. 3D Vision Discovery can be used in whatever monitor (CRT, LCD, etc...). You only need a red/blue glasses.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't have an nvidia GPU. The one that I do have struggles to maintain stable framerates in FSO as it is, I don't see how adding a second render pass for everything on screen would help that issue in any way.

Offline Meleardil

When you say, the view is not stereoscopic, do you mean images doesn't converge ? there some ghosting effects and so on ? Or, just the game aren't rendered in 3D. I have a 3D Vision 2 monitor (Asus VG278H) but since 3D Vision works only on Direct X game, I give up on Freespace or to any game using Open GL.

I say that I can force it into stereo mode, and I have the illusion of real 3D and depth, but there is no parallax and convergence, no real depth. Therefore there is no point using it. I am sure it is possible, and I think it would add a lot to the gameplay and atmosphere, but right now it is not working with the actual binaries.

(For the SCP coders... I have some very nice 3D hardware, so if they need some trying, testing, adjusting while developing it, I would be very happy to assist. )
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Could you tell me how you do that ? Forcing the FSO/Diaspora to run in 3D. I wanna try.

Offline Meleardil

I did it with a beta stage nvidia driver. There was a switch in it to force stereoscopic view whenever the 3D engine was called. Until Max 2012 has arrived that was the only way for me to use stereoscopic viewport inside Max and Archicad without having a quadro card with FireGL. (I have quadro cards, but those are older ones...the new ones are crazy expensive compared to their capabilities.) Also, I had a hack for my previous nvidia card. It is possible to convince the driver that is in fact a quadro card, only that few features are turned off. I really hate when manufacturers software lock features for financial reasons. Long live the hackers and modders!
Speaker for the Dead

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Thank you very much. I'll look into it. I hope the feature is still here. I'm using the 304 beta driver.

Offline Meleardil

It is erratic... in the beta drivers features come and go, mainly as a reason of what is under development at that very stage.
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Cerebus

Id like to get surround vision setup.  I use a triple monitor setup and it makes flying much more immersive

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
People done that, usually using Eyefinity.