Author Topic: Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)  (Read 31224 times)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Re: Interplay IP being sold (including Freespace)
(Hell, even Nintendo allowed Project M to exist unmolested.).
Since this is no longer the case (PMDev was forced to disband after receiving a legal threat from Nintendo), I want to point out that (essentially) the shutdown of Project M was the turning point for Nintendo ignoring mods to C&Ding them. Fortunately they only seem to pay attention to released fangames and mods as opposed to those in development, whether because of resources or intentional.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Wow.

Even if I could contribute, by the time I actually opened up the necessary accounts and the like, I'd be damn well broke and it would have all gone to waste, lost in a battle to a richer rival by then.

Well my worthless cents' worth, I damn well do support the idea of someone buying the FS IP for the sole purpose of keeping it free/libre forever, or at the very least for some of the reasons the SCP coders have stated, but this world isn't a freedom fantasyland... recouping costs is more than clear enough...

Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
For what it is worth, I have placed my bid in.

0% chance of success, but it was an exercise worth trying.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
For what little it's worth, you did a good job Singh.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

For what it is worth, I have placed my bid in.

0% chance of success, but it was an exercise worth trying.
No success without at least trying, eh? Thank you Singh! Would have loved to see some crowdfunding action here but I guess the deadline was just to class for this kind of action.

Just wondering, would this deal cover the rights for distribution of FS1 and FS2? I don't think it did when THQ bought and sold the IP since the publisher/distributor of the FS games has always been Interplay.

Offline CT27

People here have been worried about Derek Smart hypothetically getting these rights.

On another thought, what if Chris Roberts hypothetically decided to buy the rights and try his hand at Freespace?

On another thought, what if Chris Roberts hypothetically decided to buy the rights and try his hand at Freespace?
Good gods no !
This gets about as many nopes as Smart.

In all actual honesty I would be much more scared if Derek got it because I can definitely see him suing us out of spite.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mikes

Good gods no !
This gets about as many nopes as Smart.

Why doesn't HLP start a Kickstarter and sell JPG Spaceships to fund it? Would have a hundred Million in no time, right ? ;-)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
In all actual honesty I would be much more scared if Derek got it because I can definitely see him suing us out of spite.
I think current derek wouldn't. He seems to have mellowed out a lot.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Kinda like the Donald Trump of the PC gaming industry then?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
As anticipated, my bid attempt failed. No real surprises there.

However, unsure who were the successful parties. We'll have to find out in the next couple of weeks I believe.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Gamasutra probably would be the most likely to know.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Hey Singh, it was worth a shot, the fact that you actually had a chance to try, that to me does at least mean something.

Probably me being cynical, but no matter who is the big name who gets the rights now, I don't see how any of them can be trusted that easily. Gaming is just so corporatised to the max nowadays.

Going off on a hypothetical tangent here, I don't know what would, say e.g. a Chinese or Korean buyer do with those rights, but if it went to another US company like Bethesda (FNV > FO4 in my opinion) or GBX (umm ok the whole HW:R situation, I don't know and am too lazy to think too much about it, plus I'm a terrible HW player) or EA (omg NFS 2015 felt so damn empty at the end! 8-gear cars with horrible ratios and a VERY frustrating car handling model) or Squeenix (ZOMG DXMD INGAME STORE etc etc etc) some other bigshot... ughhh  :banghead:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If they were smart they'd do some other spin-off, hiring both :v: and some modders here to contribute.  You can call it FS3 without it being a sequel involving all teh answeres!!11elevenone. 

Example, another situation entirely in which the Shivans either don't play a part, or they're just part of another plot which doesn't involve another incursion. Say, a small group of Shivans that can cause major havoc, [see FS1], and let's also say a terrorist group managed to manipulate an isolated group of Shivan survivors, and it just happens to coincidentally raise support for a politician's position who is getting reelected, now is it coincidence, or is the politician in league?  Opponents to the politician disappear mysteriously.  But then in the end, it's actually said politician's opponent doing it, to make the opposition look corrupt!  No one is ever prepared for Spanish Inquisition Grammar Inquisition Inception  whatever, you get the idea.

Yeah, scatter brained idea, but Batts would be able to do something amazing with it, and :v: would have the resources to make it polished (the community could too, but RL gets in the way so it'd be a long time..)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
So it's the 17th (here, at least.. barely... ;) )... when do we find out who won? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
So it's the 17th (here, at least.. barely... ;) )... when do we find out who won? ;)

Or lost, depending on whether or not their purchase nets them in the black or red
"No"