Author Topic: A Freelander Modding team seeks permissions to use Blue Planet Assets  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Gunteen6

• Don't let life get you down! Get up! Go!
    • S31-IKS Parent Boards
A Freelander Modding team seeks permissions to use Blue Planet Assets
So uh, howdy.

A friend of mine is working with a modding group for Freelancer and they, being incredibly impressed at the quality of work put into the models and assets used in Blue Planet, have asked that I ask if they can have permission to use those assets in their mod. Said friend is drafting a document to make something like this official as they have learned not to trust word of mouth agreements and contracts. I can post that here when it gets drafted but I wanted to go ahead and get a feel for the general opinion for the situation.

http://tekagis.de/ is the link for the mod in question.
Gunteen6 is now S31-Syntax! If I could change the name, I would!

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Re: A Freelander Modding team seeks permissions to use Blue Planet Assets
contracts?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Gunteen6

• S31-IKS Parent Boards
The team wants a formal contract to be used, preferably in writing or something. It seems a tad extreme, but they don't want to take any chances.

Basically they want permission to use the assets used in Blue Planet in their mod, but they want it in writing.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
do you freelancers model your own stuff? :)
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You should probably be aware most of the models were not made by the BP team, though some were modified by them.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Gunteen6

• S31-IKS Parent Boards
I am aware that most of the models used did not originate with BP.

And there was a point in time where yes, a lot of Freelancer models were hand-made. But advancements in modding kits and such allowed better ports to be done.

I think the note should be added that what they want to use isn't just the models themselves, they want to use the models, textures, names, lore, weapons, whole shebang. They want the UEF Karuna, not the model it originated from. Adding UEF Hardware is their goal here as that is primarily what they were impressed by.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Whoa, whoa whoa,  let me get this straight... they want a Blue Planet Freelancer mod?

Offline Darius

That sounds pretty cool :) Is it set in that particular universe or is it like a "clash of universes" sort of thing with different technologies?

We're happy with others using mod assets so there's no issue there. I disagree that anything formal needs to be written: you're certainly not going to get into trouble from us for using them. Only trouble you'll run into (if you do at all) will be from outside the team, and if that happens having the formal contract isn't going to solve anything.

There's been Blue Planet ports for other engines like Homeworld 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire which I'm personally looking forward to.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
you should sign, and add bosch beer to the agreement. :p
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ

Offline Darius

Yes, that's the other disadvantage of having a formal contract with us.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
along comes Axem...
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ

Offline Gunteen6

• S31-IKS Parent Boards
Yes, this will be a "clash of the universes" type of thing. its still way early in development and I probably can't show deets without permission from the devs. From what I have heard, the UEF tech will likely be Faction Only tech... and I do believe that I will end up being in that faction. but what that means is in systems owned by this faction, UEF Fighters and Frigates will be patrolling around and such. Don't think that they are going to use the stations... but its to early to tell. So far it looks pretty rad.

Updated my friend on the happenings, he's now interested in getting in contact with the original modellers for the assets... He also wants me to screenscrape the thread here for record keeping. It is nice to hear that so far the BP team is greenlighting the use of these assets though.  :yes:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The community here has always been extremely open about the use of released models and stuff anywhere you want (aside from a very few mods, TBP I'm looking at you). It's usually more than enough to just credit the authors involved, although asking for permission is always nicer and more polite.

Make sure to browse the wiki's User-made ship list for other stuff that might interest you, including the links to mod-specific ship lists on the top. Many of the ships featured here are old, but there are a few gems, and all of them are free to use and should have a download link available (if not, please let us know).
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The models were already released for public use - otherwise BP wouldn't be using them either. What you should do for the models is open up the BP credits.tbl, or look up the wiki entries for the ships, and credit the original modelers and texturers. (Many of these ships have now been revamped by Esarai or Aesaar, who deserve credit too - I believe that applies on the Karuna, Narayana, Kent, Uriel, upgraded Diomedes and maybe a few others?)

For the lore and writing, please credit 'the Blue Planet team'; just a little note such as 'based on the Blue Planet mod for FreeSpace 2, blueplanet.hard-light.net' would be awesome.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To be honest, I can't exactly blame them for wanting something in writing. The older members on here will remember the rather heartbreaking disaster that was DiamondGeezer's Space : Above and Beyond port.

From the sound of it, they don't want a contract, they just want a Gentleman's Agreement that people from the Blue Planet team aren't going to turn up on their forum a year from now screaming "You stole our mod!" Something that they can simply link to and say "Here's the proof we didn't. Take it up with this Darius guy if you believe we did."
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Some guy named 'Liam' working on a Sins mod called 'BluePlanet at War' has a ModDB presence pretty much the size of ours, and while he acknowledges his source material when asked (most of his website is just FreeSpace wiki and ingame tech entries copied wholesale), I don't think he even links to the BP page. If we were going to get snippy at anyone it'd probably be him.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Oh I'm not saying you're going to get snippy. Just that I fully understand the attitude of someone who wants something in writing. No one wants a repeat of the IPA nonsense again, but without something in writing, they are risking it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, definitely.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
No one wants a repeat of the IPA nonsense again, but without something in writing, they are risking it.
And to me, by being all paranoid about it, you're basically cockteasing me into doing it. But that's just me.
(Read, the more afraid of something you are, the more it makes me want to make it a reality for you. BECAUSE I GET OFF ON PEOPLE SUFFERING.)

You know, all I ask for is for people to have a modicum of trust in me if they want me to do something for them.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Many communities are much more serious about asking permissions to convert/modify/port anyone's assets around. HLP is actually one of the most relaxed modding communities I've seen.
I think they're justified in being cautious about it, when it's doubt, it's always good to ask for permission (and when borowing physical objects, it's good to ask even if you're not in doubt).