Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 187920 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
It's the thing that lowers your rate of fire when you link your primary banks.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Excuse me for my noob-ness, but what exactly is the "link-bank-fire-penalty"?

What Aesaar said - when you link the gun banks in your fighter, the fire rate of each individual bank drops. Total DPS is still higher (IIRC) but not as high as the summed DPS of the individual weapons.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
When you link banks, each bank fire slower.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Thanks! I thought that it was some kind of energy related penalty. Anyway the whole thread makes sense now.
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Excuse me for my noob-ness, but what exactly is the "link-bank-fire-penalty"?

What Aesaar said - when you link the gun banks in your fighter, the fire rate of each individual bank drops. Total DPS is still higher (IIRC) but not as high as the summed DPS of the individual weapons.

Actually depends. Sometimes there is no benefit, or it even lowers your DPS.
Linking a 4+2 bank is the same as firing just the 4 bank in terms of DPS. Thus, there is (little to) no benefit in carrying the same weapon in the 2 gun bank, use it for a support weapon. I say little, as the increased burst damage for the same DPS can be beneficial if you have good aim and need to punch through shields or such, but generally you're better off with RoF over burst damage.

AFAIK, it's a ~33% decrease in fire rate when two banks are linked. Not sure about three. So, linking say, a hypothetical 5+1 would actually give you less DPS than just firing the 5-gun bank by itself (!)

Of course in reference to this thread's discussion 2+2 obviously does give a benefit over just 2, but it is markedly less effective than a plain 4, which is equivalent to say, a 3+3 (or any combination of 6 guns total).

All in all it is an interesting dynamic which is very much so a part of the FreeSpace universe and removing it would throw off a lot of players who expect it, especially in a FS-universe mod.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================