Author Topic: New build  (Read 12738 times)

I would use OGL, too, but i don´t want to miss the env-mapping.  This is IMHO one of the largest improvements of FSO.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
additionally, spec lightning in OGL environment can't match the DirectX variant
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I recently simplified the interface used for environment mapping, it should be a little easier for OGL to get it implemented, I hear that taylor is going to try to get it working some time in the next few weeks.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline SA22C

Is it just me, or have the message animations quit looping?

Or did they never loop?  I was sure that they did, so that they would keep playing until the message was done being displayed/played.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I don't think they ever looped
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline SA22C

Originally posted by Bobboau
I don't think they ever looped

That's weird, 'cause the animations themselves are rendered to be looped, so I just assumed they looped in game.  I'll have to install a stock FS2 and see if they do.

The new builds need really more hardware power. I have framerate drops in OGL and D3D compared with older builds. I don´t know what ´s the reason for the less frames, ´cause the game (not the tech-menu!!) looks like it looks in older builds.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by Psychonaut
The new builds need really more hardware power. I have framerate drops in OGL and D3D compared with older builds. I don´t know what ´s the reason for the less frames, ´cause the game (not the tech-menu!!) looks like it looks in older builds.

I second that. And actually I assume that a Radeon 9700 Pro is powerul enough :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I've actually noticed that I seem to be having memory problems with recent builds, too...I'm not sure why though. I haven't messed around with the texture system at all.

However, I have gotten messages from Windows mid-mission that it needed to increase the size of my page file. I've got 512 MB RAM, and I think a 100 MB pagefile.
-C

I have 1 gig and it chews up all of that pretty much straight away.
Taylor's previous does aswell but not as bad, same flags.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I've got a gig too, but FS2 never goes past 400M or so.  Remove -pcx32 from your flags like I told you to and see if it improves.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

the misaligned briefing icons
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Originally posted by StratComm
I've got a gig too, but FS2 never goes past 400M or so.  Remove -pcx32 from your flags like I told you to and see if it improves.
Never used it, flags I use on previous page.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Sorry, I crossed your posts with a different one.  I don't know what else to suggest changing.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

If I run the game in a window I get much more efficient handling of memory with values close to what you specified as having.
Weird.
Oh well as long as I do not run out that is the important thing! :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Every time I attempt to run this build, I get the following error message and a CTD:

Error: Out of memory.  Try closing down other applications, increasing your
virtual memory size, or installing more physical RAM.

File:.\globalincs\windebug.cpp
Line: 1525

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing I have running in the background, besides my firewall and anti-virus, is Folding@Home, and that hasn't caused memory issues for any other programs I run, including previous builds.  The error message appears just after I attempt to select my pilot.  The -pcx32 flag has no effect, either way.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Mongoose
Every time I attempt to run this build, I get the following error message and a CTD:

Error: Out of memory.  Try closing down other applications, increasing your
virtual memory size, or installing more physical RAM.

You said it was after you attempted to select your pilot.  Do you mean that it was when you tried to click on it on the Select button?  Is this your normal pilot or one that's trying to convert from the old format?  Single/Multi?

Just to make sure this isn't build related try http://icculus.org/~taylor/fso/willrobinson/20050310-win32r.zip but be sure to make a backup copy of your pilot files first (they shouldn't break, I'm just testing some techroom data fixes).  If you still get the same problems with this build then the issue is with CVS.

If it's still going on then give us some more info so we can test (this is for everyone).  Include RAM you have, OGL/D3D, mediavps in use, cmdline (anyone that hasn't already), whether you ever viewed a movie (intro or other cutscene), mods in use, missions played, everything you did up to the point it died, release or debug build.

I've been looking the past couple of days but haven't had any issues, other than a strange half-second pause in a nebula mission ever 3 seconds that I don't remember before.  Framerates and memory usage is pretty typical for me so nothing obvious is going on that I can see.

I have 1 GIG Ram, amd64 3200, ATI9800Pro, Cat 4.3. I use the normal vp with some stuff from DaBrain and some stuff from me (explosion), but nothing really special. Also i use most of the HTL-ships. In older builds (at the moment i use Bob´s WM-Build) i have a stable Framerate in D3D in huge battles (example "when pirates attack" from Homesick). The "stuttering", the framerate drops and memory things only appear in newer builds like fs2_open_T-20050212.exe or the WMCool ones. Too bad, ´cause i really like this techroom stuff. I hope this can help. Maybe it´s an ATI related problem (like the shinemaps).

I now tested the B Version of the build and i haven't no problems.. i can use the ogg Music and have no Freezes within Mission and haven't a crash to CTD anymore..

This Build was good for me.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Taylor, the same thing happens when using your build.  It occurs as soon as I click "Select" at the pilot selection screen.  The pilot I'm using is singleplayer and has previously been converted.  I'm running on a machine with 512 megs of RAM and a Radeon X300 64 meg video card; I've never had any performance issues with Open in the past.  I'm running Open in OGL with the following command lines: -spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -dualscanlines -targetinfo -3dwarp -env -alpha_env.  As I said above, turning off -pcx32 doesn't do anything.  I'm running all of the standard SCP VPs except mv_music and including Karajorma's fix.  Before I get to the pilot select screen, I am viewing FS2's intro cutscene, which plays normally.

Edit:  I just got the same error in WMCoolmon's O version of his latest tri-build.

Edit 2:  I think I just figured it out.  I tried creating a new pilot file, and everything worked fine.  Looks like my old one was corrupted.  It's not a huge issue, though; I had recently accidentally deleted my original pilot with all of my completed campaigns. :p
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 04:09:00 pm by 1965 »