Author Topic: thruster optomiseation  (Read 7295 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
thruster optomiseation
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_3-12-05.zip

I would like someone to make/find a model with the most absurd number of thrusters on it posable, then fill a mission with as many as you can, and then run any of the recent (last week or two) builds, note your framerate, then run this build, note your frame rate, finaly come back here report your findings.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
By thrusters to you mean engine subsystems or actual enging glowpoint thrusters?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
glowy things
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I didn´t do exactly, what you said (wrote), but i just  tried "surrender bellisarius", which gave me 100 - 120 FPS most of the time using "older" builds like your WM-build. With the new one i have 25-30 FPS each time i have two or more ships in my reticle. This means a framerate drop to 25%. I am using Cat 4.3. Maybe it´s really an ATI specific problem. Aren´t there any NVidia guys out there, who can confirm this?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the wepon model build isn't recent enough.

try useing this one
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/C03122005.zip

an actual mission with fighting and stuff is going to have too many things going on to tell if this specific change is working or not, and if there arn't a lot of ships the diference will be too small to notice.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 07:06:00 pm by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
pf chimera has 10 thrusterpoints. id sugest making a mission for nukemod with about 50 of the little suckers. the way the things handel should make for an intresting furball :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
the wepon model build isn't recent enough.

So does that mean that the weapon model bulid is included in the recent "Tri-Build"?
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

But the weapon model build is fast an stable, much faster than all recent builds i´ve tested in the last four weeks. Ah...ok.. i think you opened this thread to test your new feature, so don´t take care of me ;-)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
HENCE ME TRYING TO MAKE THE NEWR BUILDS FASTER
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Mhhh... i really know what you´ve done (and you are doing) to the community. So what i´ve said was not to critizise you, it is just my opinion. I meant it, when i said "don´t take care of me" or maybe better "don´t take attention of my post" (english is not my native language)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok first off I didn't realize that was in caps when I wrote it out, so I didn't intend to yell, the point of this thread is an atempt to address the recent slowdown that has been plageing recent builds, so your telling me that the weapon model build is better doen't help me any, becase I know this, I'm trying to corect the problem in all recent builds.

second, I just want someone to do a simple couple of tests, to see how much if any benefit my new geometry batcher is dooing. just someone, anyone who has a working version of Fred plop in about a hundred (/*thinks of a ship with a lot of thrusters*/) tritons all lined up in the same general direction and in a positon were you can see all of them at the same time from behind. use my new build and tell me what the diference between it and any other build relesed in the last week or two (like this one) is, imy new build should be faster at least by a bit.

further, I have another new build
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_3-14-05.zip
wich should have better performence in combat (made some improvements with the laser rendering code.)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

This latest build crashes at start up for me. Missing vorbis er somthing/

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Make sure you're not using OGL, Bobb's builds often dislike it.
-C

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no it's those damned vorbis dlls he's haveing problems with.

I have yet another build, this one has particles sped up quite a bit, this should make for far more reliable framerates in mission, it isn't perfict though. but do tell me if frame rates seem to be moveing in the right direction.
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_3-14-05a.zip
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
try these dlls.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Bobboau
no it's those damned vorbis dlls he's haveing problems with.

Can't remember if anyone else asked or not but why don't you just static link it?  There's no license issue with that and it saves you from giving out the dlls.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, I sure do hope what I did helped things cause its'a go'n in.

thanks alot guys, realy. nice to know you can be depended on :).
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I would have tested this sooner, but i was flooded with work. Finally got to test it and i have only one thought on the matter:
:jaw:

I put 30 high poly tritons into one mission - which adds up to 179070 polys visible at one point in time, and 510 glowpoints all visible to the player. The triton also uses a 2048x2048 res texture, along with 1024 res glowmaps and shinemaps.

The C03122005 build managed to average about 10-15FPS. This would drop right down to 2FPS when particles are displayed in force (strafing a hull).

Your 3-14-05a build managed to average 80-90 FPS. Even with particles. That's a hands down success right there. :D

Congratulations man. :yes:
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well then, good :)
thank you!
this is in CVS, so you can look forward to this in all future builds.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Wow, that sounds...amazing. Gotta try this.