Author Topic: Back to the rat race  (Read 15308 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Hmm. i had some problems with that c20050520.zip, it loaded all fine and the weapons loadout looked very good but:
 - Vasudan vessels used old thruster effects
 - Vasudan afterburner trail thingyes didn't start where they should have
 - Multipart turrets didn't bother to turn (with Stratcoms Sparta) if turrets even fired at all.

I moved back to old 3.6.5 build and all these problems disappeared.

BTW. How can i stop the reciting in the Tech Room?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
You mean Microsoft Sam?  In the launcher, go to the "voice" tab and deactivate the simulated voice in the techroom.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Unfortunately, p4 builds have started to CTD for me, so I can't test it out.

Can you describe unselectable? I haven't touched the pilot screen or code at all in awhile, certainly not in the time between these two builds.
-C

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
At least for me, the "undetectability" meant that my pilot didn't appear at all on the selection screen.  It was as though it didn't exist, even though the pilot files were still in the correct folder.  This was as of the 4/15 P4 build.

Offline Solatar

You can press enter and it'll let you pass, though if you try to go into the mission simulator there are no missions present. Crashing ensues.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've just been trying to play Fall of Epsilon Pegasi with the 4/20 build, and I receive a CTD whenever the first mission starts loading.  I was able to load the second mission, so I restarted the campaign to see if that would resolve things; now I can't even play it.  I've also experienced crashes in other missions, both when the mission is loading and upon hitting "Commit" (that one required a Ctrl+Alt+Del).  I don't know if it's related to the new mv_music.vp you released or not, although I do know that it seemed to crash at different points depending on whether or not I used the mod folder (the one I was using  contained the FS2 cutscenes and Fall of Epsilon Pegasi files; the SCP VPs are in the main FS2 folder).

Offline WMCoolmon

Do debug builds clear anything up?
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

Okay, new build. Originally wasn't going to post it, but since I have the EXEs compiled and spent several hours tonight poking through the code, I figured I'd post it.

Umm:
- Made engine washes dynamically allocated
- Unnoticeably faster engine wash indexing
- Unnoticeably faster image drawing
- Figured out an easy fix for that lab problem people have been complaining about.
- Minor fix to lab window caption code, as well as some changes to make less chance of skinning bugs arising (Mainly forcing all top-level objects to have different names, although I need to add checking at every level)
- Fixed spelling of "mulitplicative" in armor.tbl :rolleyes:
- Minor changes throughout the code to prepare to get rid of the ships.tbl limits
- Disabled parsing of $Player Ship Precedence, since nothing else in the code references it.
- Updated code to latest CVS code, so turrets should be working now (according to phreak)

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/C20050423.zip

Mostly I'm interested in the reliability factor of this build - does it crash more?

Added to the website.//redmenace
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 03:36:31 pm by 887 »
-C

Offline KyJelly

Got this when trying to run the P4 verion of 4/23 build:

Error: trying to set invalid bitmap as render target
File:.\graphics\grd3dbmpman.cpp
Line: 652

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
 regular version does not give this
P4 3ghz
6800 Ultra

Offline WMCoolmon

When/where?
-C

Offline KyJelly

when loading the game from the launcher. the screen goes black then i hear a low pitch beep then it crashes with that error.
P4 3ghz
6800 Ultra

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This latest build helped solve a problem that's been bugging me for the last week or so.  I loaded up a mission with it, and just like the past few builds have, it crashed around the third loading bar.  I had had problems related to not hearing music in-mission in a recent build, with or without the mv_music.vp.  When I started using your recent update to this VP, that's when the crashes started.  I had tried removing the VP file earlier, but I still experienced crashes; this time, when I got rid of it, the build ran fine, and I could still here the original low-quality music in-mission.  Looks like the problem is related to that VP file, not the builds.

I did experience one trivial problem with this build; the cursor is distorted, and a strange orange box appears around it.  This only happens in OGL; it still works fine in D3D.  Here's a screenshot:

Obviously, this isn't a big issue, but it does look weird. :p If it helps, I'm using a Radeon X300 with what I believe are the 4.12 Catalyst drivers.

P.S.  Good work on the lab; it's nice to finally be able to see all of the ship classes. :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I have already mantised this, sort of.  That's where it goes though, moreso than here anyway.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
hey, wmc, where's the new table?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline WMCoolmon

If you're talking about armor.tbl, look on the first page of this thread, I posted an example there. I still haven't gotten around to completely testing it, although I do know it seems to parse with my current codebase.
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i thought you updated the table when you updated the build. sorry. :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Originally posted by StratComm
I have already mantised this, sort of.  That's where it goes though, moreso than here anyway.

I just Mantised it myself.  I figured it was high time to get over my apprehension at using it. :p

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I dont mean to pry, but artent the armour indexies a tad redundant. Wouldnt

Code: [Select]
#Armor Type
$Name: Happy Armor factors
$Type: multiplicative
;;This means that all values in the table will be the product of the damage times the number entered

;;Lasers Projectiles Fireballs Missiles
$0: (0.2 1.0 1.3 1.0 ) ;;Mirror armor
$1: (1.2 0.5 1.5 1.0 ) ;;Hardened armor
#End

#Armor Type
$Name: Happy Armor bonuses
$Type: additive
;;This means that all values in the table will be added to the damage entered

$0: (-20.0 0.0 0.0 10.0 ) ;;Mirror armor
$1: (0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 ) ;;Hardened armor
#End

Ships.tbl

$Name: MirrorShip
$Armor Type: Happy Armor factors   ;;Factor things first
$Armor Type: Happy Armor bonuses ;;Then add the bonuses (so bonuses will not be scaled)
$Armor Index: 0 ;;Use the mirror armor row

$Name: HardenedShip
$Armor Type: Happy Armor bonuses ;;Then add the bonuses (so bonuses will not be scaled)
$Armor Index: 1 ;;Use the hardened armor row

be the same as

#Armor Type
;;This means that all values in the table will be the product of the damage times the number entered

#End

#Armor Type
$Name: Happy Armor bonuses

#End

#Armor Type
$Name: Happy Armor hardened factors

$0: (1.2 0.5 1.5 1.0 ) ;;Hardened armor
#End

#Armor Type
$Name: Happy Armor hardened bonuses

$0: (0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 ) ;;Hardened armor
#End

Ships.tbl

$Name: MirrorShip
$Armor Index: 0 ;;Use the mirror armor row

$Name: HardenedShip
$Armor Type: Happy Armor hardened  factors ;;Factor things first
$Armor Type: Happy Armor hardened bonuses ;;Then add the bonuses (so bonuses will not be scaled)
$Armor Index: 0 ;;Use the hardened armor row
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline WMCoolmon

Yeah, but if you want the same type of damage for all weapons it's a bit more convenient.

That way may be a bit easier for people to understand though.
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Hmm, i just had a n idea somthing along the lines of this...

If you cant tell each subarmour acts in the original armour in the order they are listed so youds only need to reference one armour in ships. Usefull for complex armour types.

#Armor Type
$Subarmour: multiplicative

$Subarmour: additive

#End

actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."