Author Topic: New FS2 and FRED build (2005-04-25)  (Read 7586 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
New FS2 and FRED build (2005-04-25)
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/20050425-Goober5000.rar

Latest CVS.  The sexp bump should actually be in this one.

Added to the website.//redmenace
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 09:37:55 pm by 887 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
*Dls in the vein hope that it'll be both stable, and somehow fix the shinemap issue :p*
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Have given it a try, but the release build refuses to load any missions. Crashes with memory access violation error. Have saved error log file, once without compatibility, once with win98 compatibility. If needed it can be MantisfiedSame thing. Debug build gave one error when I let my ship get destroyed:

Warning: Null vec3d in vec3d normalize.
Trace out of vecmat.cpp and find offending code.

File:C:\Languages\Visual Studio Projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\Math\VecMat.cpp
Line: 771

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    vm_vec_normalize()    g3_draw_rotated_bitmap_3d()    g3_draw_rotated_bitmap()    fireball_render()    obj_render()    obj_render_all()    game_render_frame()    game_frame()    game_do_frame()    game_do_state()    gameseq_process_events()    WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816d4f()

Other than that, the debug build ran good, but with with about a 35% reduction in frame rate over the 20040414 release build.

I have this same issue with the 20040423 build. Will not load missions. Gets to loading screen and crashes. Doesn't seem to matter what features are enabled, same results every time.

This seems to be a problem for just these builds. Tech room models have glows and shine maps working, and looks great. Just can't play the game.

System:
WinXP Sp2
[email protected] HT
MSI 5950 Ultra, 256mb
1 gb dual ch DDR
Using 1024x768 resolution.
All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
And a laughing yarn from a merry fellow rover.
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i think i found the access violation error.  i'll write a report in mantis once i get home in a few hours.

We also have the window centered on the desktop if you're using the "-window" command line.  additionally, cutscenes should play in windows now.  any problems related to that should be submitted here:

http://mgo.maxgaming.net/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0000361
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Can you make the window centering optional? I prefer it in the corner to be honest. It allows me to watch the debug window/IM client at the same time. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Actually I think we should keep it centered.  You can always drag it to the corner.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Here's a fun feature I added - try putting "$AliveSnd" on a subsystem and/or "$DeadSnd" if it's going to get destroyed.

Note that this uses the new sound parsing stuff, so you can use the sound filename instead of the sounds.tbl index...although the sound still needs to be in sounds.tbl.
-C

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Goober5000
Actually I think we should keep it centered.  You can always drag it to the corner.

Ditto. I have the taskbar on top, and it's a PITA to have to go through the steps to move it every time.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As long as it's dragable that's okay :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Running FRED_d produces following error message (for all weapons)

Warning: $LaunchSnd: sound index out of range on 'Mass Driver'. Must be between 0 and 0. Forcing to -1 (Nonexistant sound).

File:C:\Languages\Visual Studio Projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\Gamesnd\GameSnd.cpp
Line: 287

Call stack:
    fred2_open_d.exe 005608fa()
    fred2_open_d.exe 0056290b()
    fred2_open_d.exe 00563313()
    fred2_open_d.exe 0044f213()
    fred2_open_d.exe 00447711()
    fred2_open_d.exe 00903702()
    fred2_open_d.exe 00903064()
    fred2_open_d.exe 00900c09()
    fred2_open_d.exe 009010a5()
    USER32.dll 77d43a68()
    USER32.dll 77d4a8f9()
    USER32.dll 77d4450d()
    USER32.dll 77d4887f()
    ntdll.dll 77fb4da6()
    USER32.dll 77d48ab5()

Older builds work fine. Same applies to the game exe. Instant CTD on mission loading (no error messages). Older builds work fine as well.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I've been using latest-CVS debug builds and had no troubles...
-C

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
TBP won't run a single mission with this build. I crashed in the loading screen at ~25%. Always.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by DaBrain
TBP won't run a single mission with this build. I crashed in the loading screen at ~25%. Always.

yes, my reports is based on WCSaga dataset. Although a debug build will load a mission. It crashes after ~30 seconds. Again, no error messages.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Originally posted by DaBrain

Seems to be a similar problem for Inferno, SCP edition.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

It does the same for me using the stock 3.6.6 media vps.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I have to second what Tolwyn and the others just said. Though I can load small test-missions (a few ships only, nearly no scripts), but all bigger mission crash upon loading.

This following stands on the end of most debug-logs, maybe you guys reduced some limits again for multi or just in accident ? I hope this here helps :

MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Test results:
Installation type: Vanilla FS, no FSport, no mod, no options enabled:
14th build: can load and play missions, but crashes occacionally, oddly did not produce error log or message.
23rd build: can enter tech room, but when loading a mission crashes almost immediately - memory access violation error.
25th build: exactly same results as 23rd build above.

Top bit of the error log, just before the stack dump:

fs2_open_r_20050425 caused an Access Violation in module fs2_open_r_20050425.exe at 001b:00647300.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 4/28/2005 16:47:32.
C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_r_20050425.exe, run by Malcolm.
2 processor(s), type 586.
1024 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 00000009 caused an access violation.

Registers:
EAX=02d957ff CS=001b EIP=00647300 EFLGS=00010286
EBX=01860df4 SS=0023 ESP=0012f884 EBP=0012f890
ECX=00000000 DS=0023 ESI=00000009 FS=003b
EDX=01860df4 ES=0023 EDI=01860df4 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8a 06 46 8a 27 47 38 c4 74 f2 2c 41 3c 1a 1a c9

I can run debug builds, but not the release builds. I have no problem doing further testing if someone will point out to me what exactly to look for that would be the most helpful. I haven't had any problems with Fred2 though, but again, that is with no mods enabled.
All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
And a laughing yarn from a merry fellow rover.
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Fred2_open_d gives an error message on the $LaunchSnd and $ImpactSnd for every single weapon in the table.  It demands that all weapon sounds fall in the range between 0 to 0 (which obviously fits none of them), and then informs me that it is forcing them all to -1.  

I was trying to use this fred2_open_d to debug my tables, because something is causing a CTD on the first bar of the mission loading screen in fs2_open_r, which fs2_open_d seemed to associate with a misnamed subsystem (a CTD seems like an extreme response to something so minor, btw), but after about a hundred iterations of the sound error, I gave up trying.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Both Goob's 04-23 and 04-25 "r" builds CTD during mission load. Debug versions of these builds will run, but the over-pick nature of debug builds these days makes them inefficient to use.  WMC's 04-23 build works fine in that respect.  He's got a newer build out too, but he just hasn't announced it.  I haven't tested that build fior stability.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Whatever is wrong with the Herc (that gets picked out EVERY TIME it shows up in a mission :doubt:) really should get fixed.  I think it's that it has 5 LODs + debris, where the game expects only 4.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM