Author Topic: New FS2 and FRED build (2005-04-25)  (Read 7587 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
New FS2 and FRED build (2005-04-25)
What needs to be done about the herc is make FSO accept more LODs.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
TP: Careful with that build. I made some changes to the medals code, so if you're using it I'd suggest you back up your pilot/campaign save files. Before I got it fully tuned, I accidentally wiped out my main FS2 campaign progress + score + medals. I uploaded it for the testers, as if it turned out to work fine I was going to post it here.
-C

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Warning accepted.  I'll stick with your 04/23 build for now then.  Too bad about Goob's CTD.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by StratComm
Whatever is wrong with the Herc (that gets picked out EVERY TIME it shows up in a mission :doubt:) really should get fixed.  I think it's that it has 5 LODs + debris, where the game expects only 4.

actually thats a table problem.  the old herc is ok, but if you're using bob's herc which has 5 LODs, then there are 5 LODs but only 4 defined in the tables.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I guess FSO does support more than 4 LODS.  On a whim, I added another distance entry for the Herc and FRED debug stopped complaining about it.

BR's STL crashes at 2 'blocks' of loading, every time.  Works fine with older builds.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Here comes the old mantra of FS2 SCP testing:

What's your configuration (CPU, G-card, RAM, S-card, OS, joystick ect.)?
What flags did you use?
What mod did you use (anything beside main FS2 counst as a mod)?
What vp files were loaded?
Where were the files?
Did you use the mod function of the launcher?
What mission did you load?
What's inside the errorlog?
If it wasn't a CTD (Cut to Desktop) what errormessage did you recieve?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Also,

What did a debug build say?

I'm not singling you out, lots of people don't use or don't mention debug builds. A computer can go through over 10,000 lines of code in a second; narrowing down which line is causing the problem is made a lot easier if there's a debug build error that can be followed up on.

What we need in the launcher is a bug-reporting tab that has fields/says all this. :)
-C

*grin*

Y'know, when I posted that, my admin soul thought 'This is so useless.  Noone can do anything with this: it's almost spam'.  But everyone else was doing it! :)

Rerunning the 0425 debug build, it complains about not having Lightspeeds nebulas (which I was sure I had, but I guess normal builds don't complain about it) and it worked fine.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It's actually quite interesting that you can even see the second loading block.  For most everyone it jumps from the first to the last instantly.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Really?  For me, it usually takes quite some time to progress through all of them, with some pauses in between.  Granted, my machine's not the fastest around, but it's not a fossil, either.

On my crappest machine (2100xp,256Mb,5500) it can take almost a minute to go through the loading, with most of it being the first few bits.  I thought that was normal for low spec machines?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Also,

What did a debug build say?

I'm not singling you out, lots of people don't use or don't mention debug builds. A computer can go through over 10,000 lines of code in a second; narrowing down which line is causing the problem is made a lot easier if there's a debug build error that can be followed up on.

What we need in the launcher is a bug-reporting tab that has fields/says all this. :)

I'm surprised this bug hasn't recieved more attention.  Basically, under release builds, FSO will crash during the 1st 2 loading bars.  On the other hand, if one uses the debug build and attempts it, it will work properly (assuming the user has no outstanding table errors).  There is no error message related to the crash under the release builds.  This occurs both under Goober's 23rd and 25th builds.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
I'm surprised this bug hasn't recieved more attention.  Basically, under release builds, FSO will crash during the 1st 2 loading bars.  On the other hand, if one uses the debug build and attempts it, it will work properly (assuming the user has no outstanding table errors).  There is no error message related to the crash under the release builds.  This occurs both under Goober's 23rd and 25th builds.

I'm getting that one too. Happened on Snyc and some MG missions I tried testing it on.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
try WMC's newest builds.  I think i fixed something that probably caused it.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord