Author Topic: BSG Season 3 premier.  (Read 46677 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The 70's cylons boobs werent as good though........... :wtf:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Everything is more or less fine in hte new BGS series...except for Cylons..they suck..big time.

You, sir, need to take a look at this:
http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/video/index.php?cat=features&vid=35344

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Everything is more or less fine in hte new BGS series...except for Cylons..they suck..big time.

Surprisingly humerous.

Offline Rictor

Important question for you all: Does anyone know what music they have playing at the beggining, right after the intro. The chanting, Middle-Eastern sounding stuff. Jesus, I love that, but I've checked the BSG Wiki and they don't mention it. In fact, does anyone even know what the genre is properly called?
All the music is done by Bear McCreary for the TV show.  There are soundtrack CD's (for Season 1 and 2) available from the record company website: http://www.lalalandrecords.com/

The sequence played at the beginning is an amalgum of themes we've heard before but not together.  He does great work...and no there is no genre name for this music aside from soundtrack.  Its very worldly.

Bravo sir! I just got my hands on the Season 2 soundtrack, and it's excellent. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that it's what I've been craving for a long time without actually being able to put my finger on it.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

Surprisingly humerous.
crap I just checked that
"I love your blueish glow, and your drunk X.O."
:lol:
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

:jaw:

You heard me.

A artificial life from that resembels humans completely, practicly indistinugishable except by some elaborate test?

Please... what a load of bull.

The touch, smell and mimics of a Cylon would haev to be completely liek the humans, as well as hte internal structure.. Waht about blood and otehr stuuf? The Cylons are supposed to be "synthetic" so are they made out of cells or something else?

And last, but by no means least.. the Cylons that get destroyed transfer their memories to a new body..
Now that requires transmitting huge ammount of data over long interstella distances..and last time I checked, a powerfull transmitter was not part of a humans anatomy.

Not to mention that any signals like that could be detected, tracked, jammed, intercepted or modified....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

You heard me.

A artificial life from that resembels humans completely, practicly indistinugishable except by some elaborate test?

The touch, smell and mimics of a Cylon would haev to be completely liek the humans, as well as hte internal structure.. Waht about blood and otehr stuuf? The Cylons are supposed to be "synthetic" so are they made out of cells or something else?

And last, but by no means least.. the Cylons that get destroyed transfer their memories to a new body..
Now that requires transmitting huge ammount of data over long interstella distances..and last time I checked, a powerfull transmitter was not part of a humans anatomy.

Not to mention that any signals like that could be detected, tracked, jammed, intercepted or modified....
Remember that BSG is as much about faith as it is about technology.  Part of the mystery of the story is that we don't know how these things work.  We may never know. We know that the Cylon human varients are practically indistinguishable but with a few extras.   Thats only a problem if you want to know how everything works Star Trek style.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

You heard me.

*shock*  *horror*

It's TV!

Name one sci-fi TV series that's been scientifically accurate.  I mean, get a grip!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
they human cylons seem to be modified human clones, they are modified both genetically and they seem to have some nanoscale technology embedded in them, including data trancevers, and interfaces. and there was an episode that dealt with the fact that the uploading process can't go very far Galactica was being followed by a huge antenna of a ship to gather the signals of the transmitted minds, once that ship was destroyed, any cylons killed that far from there other resurrection ships would actually die.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:54:56 am by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
*shock*  *horror*

It's TV!

Name one sci-fi TV series that's been scientifically accurate.  I mean, get a grip!

Leave him be. When he comes up with nonsense about politics or FS2 canon then he needs to be challenged but if one of Trashman's unassailable assertions is that BSG is too bad for him to watch I say let him talk himself out of watching the best sci-fi drama on TV for years.

His loss.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

You heard me.

*shock*  *horror*

It's TV!

I can stad scientific inconsistency with RL, as long as it's consistent within the series universe itself and doesn't mutialte common sense.

Undetectable data trancivers don't quite make sense in the BSG universe.

But I still like the show.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I can stad scientific inconsistency with RL, as long as it's consistent within the series universe itself and doesn't mutialte common sense.

Why not?  I mean, you realise what makes sense within the BSG universe is, er, defined by the BSG Writers, yeah?  Y'know, the people who wrote the stories of the show?

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Why not?  I mean, you realise what makes sense within the BSG universe is, er, defined by the BSG Writers, yeah?  Y'know, the people who wrote the stories of the show?

You mean consistency like in Star Trek? Where they change definitions of things from episode to episode?
The writters can write everything they want, but that doens't make it compact and consistent - not by a longshot

So if there was a series where a terrorist runs around the city with bombs and a big sign on his chest saying "I'll kill you all!" and people that you saw reading earlier don't notice or comprehend the sign and bomb, you would call that OK, since that's the way they written it?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

You mean consistency like in Star Trek? Where they change definitions of things from episode to episode?
The writters can write everything they want, but that doens't make it compact and consistent - not by a longshot

So if there was a series where a terrorist runs around the city with bombs and a big sign on his chest saying "I'll kill you all!" and people that you saw reading earlier don't notice or comprehend the sign and bomb, you would call that OK, since that's the way they written it?

What on earth motivated you to pick such a ludicrous and irrelevant strawman arguement?

EDIT; so no you're defining the content and consistency of both the Freespace and (new) Battlestar Galactica universe?  Wow, they must keep you busy.

Offline Rictor

Can we drop this? Seriously, the thread is getting clogged up.

Now...episode 3. Is it just me, or is one of Anders' guys who are supposed to be protecting the baby the same skinjob that's with Starbuck? Or am I just seeing things where they don't exist?

Also, the Cylons say that their resources are stretched to the limit, but how could that be? Don't they have, like, a whole fleet, a whole army at the ready? If they're not commiting their full resources on New Caprica, what the hell else are the rest of the Cylons doing?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Also, the Cylons say that their resources are stretched to the limit, but how could that be? Don't they have, like, a whole fleet, a whole army at the ready? If they're not commiting their full resources on New Caprica, what the hell else are the rest of the Cylons doing?

I've long maintained that the Cylons don't really have that much, and that they would never have stood a chance against the Colonies without the compromised Command Navigation Protocol. We've never known just what the total of their forces amounts to. For all we know they are at the end of their tether.

EDIT: Is that video available for download anywhere? I want it as a a keepsake... :p
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 10:52:14 pm by ngtm1r »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Latest episode was good.  Not as fantastic as the previous two...but we're making progress.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
It was a setup for the recovery op.

Pretty good at that too.

Next one's gonna be coolio.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Also, the Cylons say that their resources are stretched to the limit, but how could that be?

Well you see the writers didn't think they had made the parallels to Iraq obvious enough yet, so they decided to use another cliched phrase associated with the Iraq war, next thing you know tigh will be putting together IEDs.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Of course! I mean, it's not like anyone has run low on resources in this type of situation before, right? :rolleyes:

You only see Iraq when you watch it because it's the first thing that jumps to mind. Think about it just a little more and you'll realise that it's an amazingly asinine assumption to make. The writers could be referring to dozens of instances throughout history! Hell, in his podcast RDM states quite clearly that Iraq only came up in passing "once or twice" in the writer's room.

Anyway, what exactly is so bad about alluding to Iraq? Would you prefer BSG slip into cardboard cut-out plots taken right from the big book of sci-fi cliches?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:41:27 pm by Mefustae »