Author Topic: Overpopulation(or lack thereof)  (Read 39358 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Overpopulation(or lack thereof)
Fortunately, there's just melding and hybridization. No pushing.

Name it as you want. I don't care about semantics.

There is a very real danger of losing the cultural identity. Some might not think much about it. A pan-global culture does sound nice, no? And it does...but still...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Screw everyone else. I was here first :p

Heh for some reason that reminds me of this bit in Heart of Oak a book about an enlisted sailor's experiences in the RN during WW2, it was pretty cool the kid was in a lot of the major actions in the Atlantic, including when the Duke of York popped the Scharners.  The part in particular I'm thinking of was during some convoy mission the Yank tin cans hauled down their colours which in the Andrew means surrender.  Obviously the Brit sailors where taken aback by this until one of the more educated matelots pointed out it was July 4th and explained it was the US Independence Day.  Sure enough the US ships hauled up fresh ensigns which prompted one of the sailors to ask why Britain didn't have an Independence day, he was promptly smacked in the back of the head and told "We've always been bloody independent!"

I need to read that....   And i heartily approve of that quote :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Unless you count the Romans...or the Normans...or... :p

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Better than "       " which is where your profile says you are :p
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline iamzack

Funny how nobody seems to mind the loss of cultural integrity when it's American corporations profiting off it.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Like Disney and ESPN?

Nike, McDonalds and American Airlines............Microsoft, General Motors and <insert near endless list>
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There is a very real danger of losing the cultural identity. Some might not think much about it. A pan-global culture does sound nice, no? And it does...but still...

Okay. Let's try this: Cultures do not propagate via people, they propagate through memes. If your culture's memes are less infectious than others, your culture will be changed. For example, the "german" meme is less infectious than the "american" meme, which is why german culture gets more and more americanized. But since the german meme is somewhat resilient, you won't suddenly wake up in America (German outpost), you will get a culture that has elements of both. And considering demographic trends, there will probably be a more pronounced turkish or arab influence on german culture some years from now, but this won't mean that we will "lose our cultural identity". It'll just be a slightly different cultural identity than the one our parents had.
Please tell us, what is bad about this? Why do you believe that a culture needs to stay in a certain way in order to stay recognizable?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Culture propogates via the masses. not by mass media, thats just an information medium. People have always been free to make their own choices. It's just a case of the majority being sheep.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Screw everyone else. I was here first :p

Heh for some reason that reminds me of this bit in Heart of Oak a book about an enlisted sailor's experiences in the RN during WW2, it was pretty cool the kid was in a lot of the major actions in the Atlantic, including when the Duke of York popped the Scharners.  The part in particular I'm thinking of was during some convoy mission the Yank tin cans hauled down their colours which in the Andrew means surrender.  Obviously the Brit sailors where taken aback by this until one of the more educated matelots pointed out it was July 4th and explained it was the US Independence Day.  Sure enough the US ships hauled up fresh ensigns which prompted one of the sailors to ask why Britain didn't have an Independence day, he was promptly smacked in the back of the head and told "We've always been bloody independent!"

I need to read that....   And i heartily approve of that quote :yes:

If I'm not mistaken here is the proper tome. 

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Oak-Tristan-Jones/dp/1574090194

Plus it as has a vulgar lower deck song at the beginning of every chapter!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
You don't need immigrants for that. Unless you block all international business and everything but domestic TV shows, you've already lost.

But I think you are barking under the wrong tree anyway. The actual "problem", IMO, lies in the makeup of "modern societies" themselves. That is, you didn't lose an identity, you just didn't have one in the first place. And why is that? It's because, first and foremost, your "identity" in a modern society is to be a "consumer". That's what your're made into, and it's the requirement for the society to function (at least for now). The younger the generation, the stronger the "consumer" identity. And it's not a very rewarding identity to have in the long run, as it's controlled more by the daily situation on the stock market than doings or knowledge of your ancestors.

This is easy to see in countries like Finland, where immigrant population is minimal, but the plague of "rootlessness" ever growing.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
This topic really exploded since a few hours ago. Already 3 more pages.

The materialism of USA is enough to push me away, but I can think of almost 10 other reasons, but I won't get into that. I would not want to protect something I'm against, but the military seems to want to protect that. People also think it is easy to leave when it isn't.

Also, I actually find darker women (non-whites) more attractive than whites, especially orientals. Blacks and hispanics are pretty good looking too, on average. I love very dark eyes and dark hair with a brown or yellowish skin. I feel they have better accents too. I also think the oriental and hispanic culture is better than a white man's culture. They seem to have more politeness. On average, they also show more love when in a serious relationship with one of them. Those cultures have tighter families and seem to put husband/wife and certain love ones first before money compared to the white man's culture.

Being attracted to other races actually defies evolution, according to the evolution fanatics. They go saying that you are naturally more attracted to people who look more like yourself. A big hole in that part of the theory right here, since I'm definitely not the only one who finds darker women and women with a flat-bridged nose more attractive. Of course experiences can play a role somewhat.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:27:50 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Leave poor evolution out of this, she was minding her own business on her side of the sandbox.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Being attracted too other races actually defies evolution, according to the evolution fanatics. They go saying that you are natually more attracted to people who look more like yourself. A big hole in that part of the theory right here, since I'm definitely not the only one who finds darker women and women with a flat-bridged nose more attractive. Of course experiences can play a role somewhat.

You are confusing the definitions of race and species. You are attracted to those people because you are hard-wired by your genetics to seek out sexual partners that are different from you, the more different the better. People with a mixed heritage often appear more attractive than people with a "pure" heritage for that very reason. So, no. This preference of yours does not defy evolution. It actually works in evolutions' favor.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline iamzack

High Max, you're not special. Just about damn near every white guy in America prefers Asian chicks. :P
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The actual "problem", IMO, lies in the makeup of "modern societies" themselves. That is, you didn't lose an identity, you just didn't have one in the first place. And why is that? It's because, first and foremost, your "identity" in a modern society is to be a "consumer".

That's a rather blanket statement about having no identity. Do you even know where I live or anything about my country? No? How can you claim that I have no identity then?
Cultural identity exists. It can be changed, it can be destroyed.

Regardless, there's nothing wrong with being saddened by a loss of something.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Being attracted too other races actually defies evolution, according to the evolution fanatics. They go saying that you are natually more attracted to people who look more like yourself. A big hole in that part of the theory right here, since I'm definitely not the only one who finds darker women and women with a flat-bridged nose more attractive. Of course experiences can play a role somewhat.

You are confusing the definitions of race and species. You are attracted to those people because you are hard-wired by your genetics to seek out sexual partners that are different from you, the more different the better. People with a mixed heritage often appear more attractive than people with a "pure" heritage for that very reason. So, no. This preference of yours does not defy evolution. It actually works in evolutions' favor.

What The_E says is correct. Your attraction to exotic women is exactly in line with the predictions of evolutionary theory.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
High Max, you're not special. Just about damn near every white guy in America prefers Asian chicks. :P

You would be surprised how many men here only like other Americans. Plus, it isn't just about looks, it is their culture and personality on average that I like. Looks mean nothing without personality and similar lifestyles.

@Gen B: Of course I don't think I was attracted to them so much until encountering them more and having a serious relationship with a couple. I was into Latino's after having a relationship with one, then got into Asians after having one of them, but I would make an exception to an Asian girl with only my x-girlfriend who is from Colombia, if she could come back here and since she seems to miss the times we had together like I sometimes do.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:39:33 pm by High Max »

Offline iamzack

Well, yeah, what American guy doesn't like a quiet, submissive chick, especially when she's exotic!

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
No, just a girl who treats a man like she loves him and is emotionally stable and strong and can stay calm and be trusted and put the husband and family first, like a spouse should. Not feminazi, as the term goes. :D I too will be faithful and honest in return.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I suppose there's a difference between a woman who is prepared to tell you when she thinks you are wrong, and a woman who finds fault in everything you do.

Took me a while to figure that one out, I must admit ;)