Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 306864 times)

Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Been watching DB:Super. It's getting better. Zamasu was kinda one note, started interesting but got super old.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
(CLAMP didn't work on SEED though, so I'm not sure where that came from. The art styles are totally different.)

Whatever the art style, they're portraying the same lanky, spiky species of humanoid with huge widely spaced eyes.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Luis Dias

The Expanse was boring as ****. Incredibly irrelevant that it is a sci fi show. It could perfectly had been written as a detective noir, apart from a few shuttle scenes that were quite good.

I've also watched Re:Zero. Very entertaining. I recommend it. The ending is a bit subpar, and I bet it has to do with some lack of decision whether if there would be a second season or not til the production ending.

I've tried to watch Gantz. I really tried. Horrible. Despicable. Awful. Couldn't go beyond episode 2.

Watched first episode of Trigun. Immediate thought: "this is like pre-BeBop right?". Too silly, but still fun enough. I'll probably check out further episodes.

Also seen first episode of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Thoughts: very well produced, very straightforward, but I kinda am "meh" about it. There wasn't really anything that would grab my attention or interest.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Watched first episode of Trigun. Immediate thought: "this is like pre-BeBop right?". Too silly, but still fun enough. I'll probably check out further episodes.
Trigun actually came out the same year as Cowboy Bebop, as did Outlaw Star.  Needless to say it was a pretty ****ing awesome year for western-esque sci-fi.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I've also watched Re:Zero. Very entertaining. I recommend it. The ending is a bit subpar, and I bet it has to do with some lack of decision whether if there would be a second season or not til the production ending.

It's because they wanted to tie down Season 1 without ending it in a massive cliffhanger.

Having been spoiled about it already, I can tell you that in my opinion it was the right decision (I considered adding the specific reason in spoiler tags but I know people sometimes automatically select spoiler text so I dare not).

Now I'm just hoping there will be a Season 2 within next five years or so...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Luis Dias

Yes, exactly. And the subpar-ishness of it is most probably due to undecisions until the last minute, for they should have written themselves out of the setups they created from the very first episode.

I didn't notice anything unsatisfying about the ending to Re:Zero. It seemed like the arc wrapped up nicely. Sure, there're a lot of threads left, but I presumed those were for the future.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Yes, exactly. And the subpar-ishness of it is most probably due to undecisions until the last minute, for they should have written themselves out of the setups they created from the very first episode.

I don't think it's that, rather the source material doesn't really allow this because pretty much the very next thing that comes up in Emilia and Subaru's talk is

<MEGA SPOILER DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU READ THIS>

Spoiler:
Who's Rem?

</MEGA SPOILER DON'T BLAME ME IF YOU READ THIS>

So, yeah, it's a natural point for a season ending, but in the source material the story continues rather relentlessly and that's why they had to cut it at that point - regardless of it being "unsatisfying" at this point.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Luis Dias

I didn't notice anything unsatisfying about the ending to Re:Zero. It seemed like the arc wrapped up nicely. Sure, there're a lot of threads left, but I presumed those were for the future.

I'm not mentioning some few "threads" missing the punchline, I'm talking about the biggest setup in the whole anime (the very setup of it, ffs) being completely left out and ignored and exchanged for a love story.

So, yeah, it's a natural point for a season ending, but in the source material the story continues rather relentlessly and that's why they had to cut it at that point - regardless of it being "unsatisfying" at this point.

We're disagreeing merely on form. Even if what you're writing is meant to be unfinished, you should be able to close the threads you setup'ed in a satisfying manner. And if there are threads missing, you should at least make mention that these things are still unanswered. Rather, it seems to end in a way that signals that "Hey, this is the really great ending you waited for", without any mention of those setups and questions. It's cruel, from a writing standpoint. You can't just lay around BIG DEAL questions on the air and then pretend it doesn't matter, forever.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

This looks bizarre as hell but I think I will need to give it a shot.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

GOD. MY. OH.

I am intrigued as well.

Blue's Clues, because my 9 month old daughter adores it. LOL
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I am in search of a series, which actually has a plot which goes somewhere and is somewhat interesting.
I've seen mr. Robot, which seemed to be about a hacker group fighting the huge corrupt corporation and world order in general, but turned out to be about being high & going crazy & characters getting killed.
I've also seen Westworld, which was just shallow.
The search continues.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

I am in search of a series, which actually has a plot which goes somewhere and is somewhat interesting.

If you aren't averse to anime, watch Psycho Pass

Offline Luis Dias

I enjoyed WestWorld immensely. I must fight my own shallowness...

Been watching something called "Sword Art Online" due to a recommendation. First thought, this is for kids. Fragmented writing, loose threads, lazy writing here and there. But something was interesting, which I would like to share or discuss. Romance is usually treated casually or ironically or comedically in western animation or shows. It's crazy rare to find something like "true love" even in movies nowadays. But in this kids' show, they go full True Love. They depict a thing about growing old together, they depict a sense of "family".

I've noticed something similar in other animes. And I like it. It seems to me that the western world has abandoned true romance. We've become too cynical to allow it? Even Bond movies don't have sex anymore... IDK, I just found it surprising and remarkable, especially in contrast to what we have here in the west.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

GOD. MY. OH.

I am intrigued as well.

Saw the first two episodes and its definitely has some potential.

Spoiler:
The second Ep reincarnation reveal certainly ups the bizarreness ante.  Depending on how well things unfold this could be a gem.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Why has no one mentioned Little Witch Academia? The series is airing.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

I just finished Part 4 of Jojo. For a Shonen anime, the villain in this surprisingly interesting. Even if he comes in later on in the story. Or has no complex machinations. I just find him to be a breath of fresh air. I liked it even if it wasn't as over the top crazy action and adventure hjinx as Part 3. Don't know where I'd put it on a list of the Parts I liked the most.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:49:20 am by Mammothtank »

Shojo anime are things like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura. Jojo is pretty much the complete opposite of that.

Why has no one mentioned Little Witch Academia? The series is airing.
Did I miss something? The first movie aired ~4 years ago. The 2nd movie finished airing over a year ago.
Did they make a 3rd movie of Little Witch Academia?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Shojo anime are things like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura. Jojo is pretty much the complete opposite of that.

:nervous: Y-You... uh appear to be mistaken. I said nothing of the sort. :nervous: