Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 306532 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Bureaucracy?
Conspiracy?
Travel?
Baked Goods?

I didn't know I needed the above four items in a single anime but apparently I did.  Plus the style is cool AF.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I really am starting to love Tanya The Evil, it's like a typical anime, but told from the perspective of the antagonist. Imagine if Dragonball Z have been focused on Vegeta and hist adventures enslaving and mass slaughtering entire planets for his own personal gain. In the last episode (trying not to spoil things but maybe don't read if your paranoid) there was a guy who's last name was Sue who had a daughter named Mary, who now has a reason to dedicate her life to opposing Tanya's evil. :lol:
It's especially fun watching this right after having seen Izetta, another anime set in a magical World War 1, with a super goodygood protagonist.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:20:45 am by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Luis Dias

Haven't seen the latest Tanya episode, but I believe you. I was skeptical of that show, but when the real antagonist shows up at the second episode, I became interested.

Legion is still going amazing.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
This Saturday 11 PM EST:

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

Holy ****, Killy talks!
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

NOT ANIME!
/co/ peasants please GTFO this is sovereign /a/ clay

Spoiler:
it was pretty ****ing good though, good to see Jack's back and they are looking to wrap up a loose end from my (not quite) youth
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

omg

omg

omg

Also, I am watching Legion and it's great.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah. Legion is pretty awesome. Needs more of the rock throwing guy from the first episode though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

NOT ANIME!
/co/ peasants please GTFO this is sovereign /a/ clay

Spoiler:
it was pretty ****ing good though, good to see Jack's back and they are looking to wrap up a loose end from my (not quite) youth

:nervous:

Um this thread hasn't been anime specific since page one?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The latest episode of Samurai Jack was pretty nuts.  The art was beautiful and it even had an GBU/Ecstasy of Gold homage.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It was excellent.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
At some point during it I was sitting there thinking, "What on earth did we do to deserve something this amazing?"

Because humanity made Genndy exist.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Nyanko Days! :3
Habeeb it...

So I took a leap of faith on Friday and decided to watch my first anime. I've seen a lot of content online from various shows (definitely here at HLP too) and was rather put-off by the animation style and the over-sexualization of the women in the shows (at least, of the clips I had seen). And as such, I always steered clear of Animes.

But as a Yamato captain in world of warships, that theme song just sounded so good and seeing some clips online certainly did look intriguing.
So I started Space Battleship Yamato 2199...

...And I cried at the ending. In part because of the
Spoiler:
death of the captain and the rebirth of Yuki
and because I had been avoiding such a great show (and I'm sure there are others) for so long.

So I won't be able to start another for quite some time (put off an entire Diff. Eqn. Problem set  :) ) as I have work to do. However, I will ask you all (some of whom I am hoping have seen a good crop of these shows), what would be another great anime to watch? It doesn't have to be space/military, just highly regarded.

I guess I also have no excuse for not playing Wings of Dawn anymore either  :P

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Psycho-Pass
Black Lagoon
Ghost in the Shell (all of it)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
One Punch Man
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team

This is basically my favorites list.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is definitely a top quality anime, you started at a really good spot. 

Unfortunately that makes it tough to recommend anime that matches its visual and story quality, most of the time i can only do better in one category.

Story: Legend of the Galactic Heroes.  This is an amazing story about space fleet admirals and their conflict as the Free Planets Alliance and the Galactic Empire reach the conclusion of their 150-year space war.  The anime follows characters on all sides of the conflict, but mostly within the military.  Its length is the only obstacle, at 110 episodes, but it needs each one.  It's a bit niche and the animation is dated, but pretty much everyone that watches it considers it the greatest anime of all time.

Looks: I might get back to you on that one.  I was gonna say Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, but SBY 2199 looks really good.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Last Exile
Planetes
Log Horizon

That's the short list that dodges the high school and girl-centric shows. I'm not saying those don't have a lot of good shows, but you gotta work up to them.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I wanted to like Log Horizon a lot, but then it ended up being "Not Sword Art Online: the anime". :(

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I wanted to like Log Horizon a lot, but then it ended up being "Not Sword Art Online: the anime". :(
That's actually a pretty high selling point in my book.  SAO was...painful, to put it charitably.

But anyways, Techno, any one of us could probably give you a short list of a few dozen legitimately-awesome series (I'll still vouch for Cowboy Bebop being the best-constructed gateway drug one could ever ask for), but it mostly depends on what you're already interested in.  I think one of the things newbies don't often realize is that, despite certain almost-universal sensibilities, anime is a medium instead of a particular genre, and in turn I think fans often fail to consider than when trying to push things on newcomers that they may have absolutely no interest in.  It'll help if you give a few examples of the sorts of movies or TV series that you enjoy, since odds are decent that there's a good anime series out there that fits a similar niche.  Not that I'm trying to discourage exploring beyond your comfort zones, though, since there are any number of ridiculously-good series out there beyond one's preferred genre.  (For instance, I never thought I"d wind up adoring a show titled "Princess Tutu." :D)

That said, I second Turambar: Legend of the Galactic Heroes is an absolute must, at least at some point.  It's a very long commitment (110 episodes, plus 52 episodes of prequel content to watch later, plus a few movies that get slotted in at various points), but it is easily the most ambitious animated work ever constructed, and it more than lives up to the billing.