Author Topic: Cast for Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (unfortunately, merely hypothetical)  (Read 8760 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: Cast for Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (unfortunately, merely hypothetical)
For me, I think Michael Fassbender must play Thrawn.

Not seeing it... :p

[attachment deleted by nobody]
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Luis Dias

Fillion as Han Solo is just crossing the beams. I mean, Firefly was basically "Star Wars without Luke Skywalker", and Fillion playing Han Solo.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
I maintain Clancy Brown as C'Baoth.  Check out recent pics of him with beard and all.

Gregory Peck would be almost perfect as Thrawn is he was in his 40's today.  I just keep coming back to the notion that his voice will be almost more important than the actor's appearance.

Vince Vaughn as Niles Ferrier--neato combination of bumbling oaf and threatening mercenary.

William Hurt as Garm Bel Iblis.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage

LMAO!

I think that actually looks quite convincing! We have never had a true representation of Thrawn brought to life, so there is a lot of room for various holes that can be plugged. His hair on IMDB looks slicked back and I think it could work!
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I maintain Clancy Brown as C'Baoth.  Check out recent pics of him with beard and all.

He'd have to manage to ditch the military-esque demeanor he has in everything I've seen him in at least... C'baoth needs to be regal, crazy, and ancient all at once. I don't see any of that in Clancy Brown.

Gregory Peck would be almost perfect as Thrawn is he was in his 40's today.  I just keep coming back to the notion that his voice will be almost more important than the actor's appearance.

Whenever I get a picture in my head of Thrawn, I imagine someone with a vaguely rectangular head, rather than rounded. Am I the only one?

Vince Vaughn as Niles Ferrier--neato combination of bumbling oaf and threatening mercenary.

All of my yes!

William Hurt as Garm Bel Iblis.

Yeah yeah yeah!

Also: Hmmm...

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:09:23 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Luis Dias

O_o How didn't I ever noticed that? o_O

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Heh... I was trying to see if Google had indexed my Fassbender/Thrawn thing, and found this instead (sauce):

Looks about right.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Soo...... I'll just leave this here.

(point of interest starts at around 1:43)

In case the significance of the above video isn't clear, I'll spell it out:

Spoiler:
After Disney bought Lucasfilm and thus Star Wars, they decided that everything they produced, across all forms of media, would be considered "canon", on the same level of canonicity (?) as the films themselves. Video games, TV shows, books, comics, and of course the movies - all canon. Everything from the Expanded Universe (EU) that went before that point was relabeled "Legends" and allowed to continue to exist, but not be considered canon.

The appearance of the heretofore purely EU/Legends character of Grand Admiral Thrawn in this trailer for the fully-canon Star Wars Rebels series makes the character of Thrawn fully canon. That does not necessarily include any of the stories that have been written around him, but with the references in the trailer to studying a species' art to learn about them, and to him being a superior tactician, and even the calm and cultured voice they have for him, it's clear that the core essentials that made Thrawn such a superb antagonist in the books are fully intact.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:53:38 am by Sandwich »

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Ha, now can we have a reimaginign of Tie Fighter in the new SWEU canon?
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

This is a show I really NEED to begin watching.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Oh, Rebels is nothing.

Timothy Zahn is working on a new Thrawn book.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Oh, Rebels is nothing.

Timothy Zahn is working on a new Thrawn book.

That too.

EDIT: Wait, does that mean that NuThrawn in the book would be new canon, as well? Or does that thing just apply to the media like movies and TV?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Wait, does that mean that NuThrawn in the book would be new canon, as well? Or does that thing just apply to the media like movies and TV?
New novel is new canon.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I think I saw a YT-2000 in there near the start . I guess we can expect a Dash Rendar cameo too seeing as though they are digging up old characters..
They've already said we won't be seeing Dash Rendar and that the ship was just a reference.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I think I saw a YT-2000 in there near the start . I guess we can expect a Dash Rendar cameo too seeing as though they are digging up old characters..

It's a YT-2400, the YT-2000 is a differend kinf of ship.

They've already said we won't be seeing Dash Rendar and that the ship was just a reference.
They said the ship was the same model, the YT-2400, just not the Outrider but a random YT-2400.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor