Author Topic: This Week's Game of Thrones Finale *All kinds of spoilers*  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Re: This Week's Game of Thrones - The Door *All kinds of spoilers*
How many episodes are left for next season?

Probably 6 or 7 for both 7'th and 8'th seasons. I'm fine with that, at least that will give the show more speed. And I lost hype for the new books, too much waiting already.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Oh it's two more seasons? I only thought it was one. I don't watch the show but I enjoy checking up on the recaps. I read the books and am not really a tv person.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Gotta say, there were no actual surprises in that finale. Pretty much could have predicted everything beforehand, but that's not a bad thing. I think at this point that the viewers and fans knew the majority of where the plotlines were headed, and any major deviation from that would have been more a disappointment than a pleasant surprise.

Actually, scratch that - three surprises, though two are minor:

Spoiler:
1) The King's leap of faith.
2) The Queen of Thorns consorting with Dorne I guess was predictable, but nevertheless I hadn't thought of it beforehand.
3) Varys' teleportation. This actually trumps everything from Dany's dragons to the White Walker horde. Teleportation is an unbelievably powerful superpower - one that Dany's stupid to be ignoring.

I liked how the chandeliers in the library were revealed to be what that intro inverted globe map sequence has been orbiting all this time.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

And a sweet little detail which brought a big smile on my face :)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Spoiler:
1) The King's leap of faith. It's the most literal the city's name has been since Aegeon the Conqueror!
3) Varys' teleportation. This actually trumps everything from Dany's dragons to the White Walker horde. Teleportation is an unbelievably powerful superpower - one that Dany's stupid to be ignoring.  Vary's only transported himself, Yara and Theon teleport'd an entire fleet.  Given their previous sailing performance Dany will be in Westeros 11 months before the next season starts.  The Drowned God is stronk!

Spoiler:
Going back an episode, while it still had some technical faults as student of the sword I really appreciated the Battle of the Bastards doing its level best to portray how random a pitched battle was as well as the very real danger of being trampled under a mass of humanity a la Agincourt
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: This Week's Game of Thrones Finale *All kinds of spoilers*
Changed the title so that people will be expecting spoilers for the latest episode.

Also I made this. Brits should appreciate it.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
LS is coming, mark my words. :D

So yeah. Since the BWB were no-shows the rest of the season, I suspect LSH might be a big reveal next season. I hope... :nervous:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
So yeah. Since the BWB were no-shows the rest of the season, I suspect LSH might be a big reveal next season. I hope... :nervous:

It might! Just like aliens and robots. I hope there will be a big reveal of aliens and robots.  :yes: :yes: :yes:

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I hate to say it, but I'm going to say it:  the show has gotten infinitely better now that it is working only with Martin's plot outlines, rather than his actual writing.  I love the books, but the books did not adapt particularly well to television and 'Meanwhile in Dorne' syndrome was annoying in the books, but utterly pace-killing in the show.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
People have been making all kinds of jokes about Varys teleporting to Dorne and back. They seem to forget that in the shows based on Martin's books he would have left in Episode 1 and we'd still be waiting for him to get back from Dorne.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline zookeeper

I hate to say it, but I'm going to say it:  the show has gotten infinitely better now that it is working only with Martin's plot outlines, rather than his actual writing.  I love the books, but the books did not adapt particularly well to television and 'Meanwhile in Dorne' syndrome was annoying in the books, but utterly pace-killing in the show.

The last episode was certainly the best of seasons 5-6 both, but to me one good episode can't salvage two otherwise bad seasons. I think the show was infinitely better back in seasons 1-4 when they were still actually using Martin's writing. I mean, there's basically no similarities with seasons 5-6 and the books except some of the same plotpoints.

well both the latter books and season 5 of the show had godawful pacing
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Everyone's trying to play Total War and Cersei's sittin in King's Landing playing Tropico
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

cersei's playing little inferno 2: big inferno
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

The last episode was certainly the best of seasons 5-6 both, but to me one good episode can't salvage two otherwise bad seasons. I think the show was infinitely better back in seasons 1-4 when they were still actually using Martin's writing. I mean, there's basically no similarities with seasons 5-6 and the books except some of the same plotpoints.

That's not a bad thing.

Season 1 was pretty close to the books, but they took some big liberties in seasons 2-4 for time and made some decisions I didn't always agree with.  Also, pacing.  Martin's pacing isn't suited to television, and while the show worked around it reasonably well with the material they had, season 6 really shone because they could finally pace out the material in a manner that makes sense natively on the screen.

Book-to-series adaptations are always difficult, but ASOIAF struggles with its pacing and hugely irrelevant forays even in the novel format.  Diverging the books and the show will do nothing but make both better, and I think it already has (Battle of the Bastards being truly exemplary of this).
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline zookeeper

That's not a bad thing.

Season 1 was pretty close to the books, but they took some big liberties in seasons 2-4 for time and made some decisions I didn't always agree with.  Also, pacing.  Martin's pacing isn't suited to television, and while the show worked around it reasonably well with the material they had, season 6 really shone because they could finally pace out the material in a manner that makes sense natively on the screen.

Book-to-series adaptations are always difficult, but ASOIAF struggles with its pacing and hugely irrelevant forays even in the novel format.  Diverging the books and the show will do nothing but make both better, and I think it already has (Battle of the Bastards being truly exemplary of this).

What I mean by Martin's writing is good dialogue, characterization, and plot. Not pacing or whether his writing also involves irrelevant forays; obviously, in an adaptation pacing is changed and unnecessary material gets cut, that goes without saying.

My problem with the show's writing is primarily how there's plot holes everywhere, characterization is inconsistent, valuable time is wasted on tits, stupid jokes and fanservice, how the dialogue gets bafflingly anachronistic at times, there's just plain continuity errors and the focus is so heavily on constantly trying to shock the audience and having big moments at the expense of plot logic.

I'll never complain that they shouldn't have cut this or that secondary character or plotline, except when they're replaced with something that's obviously worse than what the source material allowed for. For example, want to cut Dorne? Sure, fine, there's only a limited amount of screentime per season, you need new locations, quite a few new characters. Perfectly understandable if there just isn't enough time for it. But it's completely inexcusable to have it and then do with it what they actually did. With the same amount of time and resources, they could have just adapted the queenmaker plot and made it ten times better than what we got.

As for the BotB, for me it was basically pointless fanservice spectacle, as the plotlines leading up to it were nonsense. Sure, it was visually wonderful and there were some really pretty shots, but what's the point if the story underneath doesn't make sense? Technically impressive visual spectacle is a dime a dozen these days, and if I had to choose, I'd much rather have a better story with the battle happening off-screen than a bad story with an impressive on-screen battle. Blackwater and Watchers on the Wall were much better episodes, not because the battles were more spectacular (well, the latter was), but because they made much more sense so I was able to actually be invested.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I don't read the books, and I only even saw the show for the first time about a year ago.  I by no means get really involved with this. 

I was pretty bored by this whole season.
I like to stare at the sun.