Author Topic: Britain votes for Brexit  (Read 17449 times)

Re: Britain votes for Brexit
NGTM-1R, you are not the arbiter of who can and cannot participate in this thread.  Stop demanding that Mika "exit this conversation".  If you want to post in an echo chamber, go start a subreddit.

Really? You're looking at a thread where people are literally celebrating terrorism and you go after NGTM?

Sorry for sounding like a broken record here but... What the actual **** is wrong with you?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That quote was directed specifically at NGTM-1R.

If you're referring to your report of Mika's post, Mika was expressing satisfaction that the EU bureaucrats are reaping the results of their own policies: "So they got to live with the results of their own immigration agenda for once."  That is a very far cry from "celebrating the murder of belgian civilians" as you put it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No it isn't, if you are telling the truth it's by definition not bull****.

Except when it is. The problem in this campaign was that the people who were loudest about the economic risks of leaving were the very same bankers and industry fat cats whose downfall people like Mika actually celebrate. Nothing what they said was untrue, but merely the fact of them saying it made some people consider giving them a black eye for it. As such, pointing out the bad things that would happen post-Brexit was counterproductive, as the consequences were not as viscerally real to the voters as, for example, the Leave campaigns' pointing towards the polish people taking away all the jobs was.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

This thread is bonkers. People revelling in the murder of others because that might hammer some sense into their skulls? Yeah, that totally works out. I won't advise anything to Dragon because I don't really wanna be banned here so that's all I'll say, other than aggressively shake my head. ... wait. Now I've this terrible headache.

Anyways, the other bonkers thing I've read here is less inhuman, but way stupider, the notion that market crashes redistribute the wealth. No, it ****ing doesn't. Since 2008, inequality has shot up, not down. And it's easy to guess why. Who has the power isn't going to let the machinery take the wealth from them. If the machinery is gonna bankrupt them, they will fleece everyone around them until they at least manage to not go bankrupt. When they look around afterwards, we see all the poor people completely hopeless, unemployed, without social security nets that had to be cut down because "people were living way beyond their possiblities", and other cretinous propaganda clichés.

So that's basically what happened. When all the german banks survived the Greek crisis (for they were the ones who were "bailed out", not the Greeks), afterwards we get to look at the greek children starving at the school doors. It's so ****ing criminal it makes you want to bomb the **** out of Brussels. Until you get your senses back and realise those are people too.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, exactly. It is never the big banks who suffer, or the people running them. It's always the people at the bottom end of the economy that get hit hardest.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The point when someone says "I'm glad country x had a terrorist attack" is the point when they get to go away for some time. It's merely a question of how long at this point.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Here's Farage in the European Parliament today. Funny how he says the UK wants its fishing rights back, wasn't he supposed to be negotiating that?

(Also, Farage, like Mika in this very thread, has no idea what a trade imbalance means for negotiations)

(comments removed to preserve integrity of goober's fascist safe space)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:45:11 am by Phantom Hoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

That quote was directed specifically at NGTM-1R.

If you're referring to your report of Mika's post, Mika was expressing satisfaction that the EU bureaucrats are reaping the results of their own policies: That is a very far cry from "celebrating the murder of belgian civilians" as you put it.

Considering that mika and dragon consider the murder of belgian civilians a result of their own policies, no. It's very much the same. If my argument had at some point been "I am glad 9/11 happened because it showed the US how destructive their middle eastern politics were" I very much doubt that you would object to any "Get the **** out" response, especially in 2001. It is, quite frankly, the only response that can be expected from someone who is not a complete psychopath.

EDIT: And the middle east politics and 9/11 atleast have some sort of demented connection, whilst Dragon's statement
I wonder what it'll take to make them realize that maybe accepting all those refugees into EU wasn't such a good idea.
is completely idiotic. Unless you'd think that accepting syrian refugees is somehow so enraging to belgian-born muslims that they are justified in bombing airports, in which case the only echo chamber is you.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 07:25:26 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Luis Dias

You can totally see that John Oliver is sooo not sarcastically almost aneurism-levels enraged in here:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Unless you'd think that accepting syrian refugees is somehow so enraging to belgian-born muslims that they are justified in bombing airports.
Well, it enraged plenty of Belgians and non-Belgians already, Muslim or not (admittedly, the most annoyed ones are those who'd been there for a while and might be too civilized to blow things up). It doesn't really justify them (to be absolutely clear, I think that the terrorists in question deserve to die a horrible death), but if that's what it takes to beat some sense into the EU government, so be it. The sinking of Lusitania also ended up benefiting the world in the long run, spurring the US to intervene in a war that could've otherwise gone on for much longer, with causalities far in excess of 2000 or so people on board the ocean liner.

9/11 certainly wasn't comparable. If anything, the US policy in the Middle East got worse after that. Previously it wasn't the best, but afterwards they made an absolute mess of things. Though I do wonder sometimes what would have happened if instead of the towers, the planes hit their intended targets (which seem to have been the US government buildings).
This thread is bonkers. People revelling in the murder of others because that might hammer some sense into their skulls? Yeah, that totally works out.
Would you rather see a bunch people die to open the eyes of the rest, or a lot of people die because someone didn't get sense hammered into his skull? That's the way I see it. It might be cold-hearted and borderline sociopathic thing to say, but ultimately, I see it as a matter of choosing the lesser evil. Most Westerners seem to lack the ability to see that lesser evil is sometimes the only good choice (and unlike in TV, there's seldom a good "third option"), which is a big part of how we got into this fix in the first place.

Offline Luis Dias

It's not "borderline" sociopathic. Your analysis is not only irrational, it is inhuman. Your ideas are fascistic and obnoxious, your rationale pretentious and uncaring, your tone condescending and snobbish, your worldview, regurgitating material.

It might be cold-hearted and borderline sociopathic thing to say

No, Dragon. For all you would like to role-play as the daring, cool, hard-headed realist, your opinion here is as it usually is: sheltered and completely ****ing ignorant.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And the European Parliament has apparently made up its mind and wishes to get this over with quickly:

The European Parliament,

–  having regard to Rule 123(2) of its Rules of Procedure,

1.  Takes note of the wish of the citizens of the United Kingdom to leave the EU; points out that the will expressed by the people must be entirely and fully respected, starting with the activation of Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union (TEU) as soon as possible;

2.  Stresses that this is a critical moment for the EU: the interests and expectations of the Union’s citizens must be brought back to the centre of the debate; the European project must be relaunched now;

3.  Stresses that the will of the majority of the citizens of the United Kingdom should be respected via a swift and coherent implementation of the withdrawal procedure;

4.  Points out that negotiations under Article 50 TEU concerning the UK’s withdrawal from the EU must begin as soon as formal notification has been communicated;

5.  Warns that in order to prevent damaging uncertainty for everyone and to protect the Union’s integrity, the notification stipulated in Article 50 TEU must take place as soon as possible; expects the UK Prime Minister to notify the outcome of the referendum to the European Council of 28-29 June 2016; this notification will launch the withdrawal procedure;

6.  Recalls that the settlement agreed by the heads of state or government in February 2016 stipulated that it would only enter into force if the UK decided to stay in the EU; it is therefore null and void;

7.  Recalls that any new relationship between the UK and the EU may not be agreed before the conclusion of the withdrawal agreement;

8.  Recalls that the consent of the European Parliament is required under the Treaties, and that it must be fully involved at all stages of the various procedures concerning the withdrawal agreement and any future relationship;

9.  Invites the Council to appoint the Commission as negotiator on Article 50 TEU;

10.  Stresses that the current challenges require reflection on the future of the EU: there is a need to reform the Union and make it better and more democratic; notes that while some Member States may choose to integrate more slowly or to a lesser extent, the core of the EU must be reinforced and à la carte solutions should be avoided; considers that the need to promote our common values, provide stability, social justice, sustainability, growth and jobs, overcome persistent economic and social uncertainty, protect citizens and address the challenge of migration requires developing and democratising, in particular, the Economic and Monetary Union and the area of freedom, security and justice, as well as strengthening the common foreign and security policy; considers therefore that the reforms must result in a Union which delivers what citizens expect;

11.  Calls for a roadmap for a better Union based on exploiting the Lisbon Treaty to the full, to be completed by a revision of the Treaties;

12.  Will enact changes in its internal organisation to reflect the will of a majority of the citizens of the United Kingdom to withdraw from the European Union;

13.  Takes note of the UK Commissioner’s resignation and the relocation of his portfolio;

14.  Calls on the Council to change the order of its Presidencies to prevent the process of withdrawal from jeopardising the management of the day-to-day business of the Union;

15.  Instructs its President to forward this resolution to the European Council, the Council, the Commission, the European Central Bank, the national parliaments and the Government of the UK.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions

Seriously disappointed by this sorry state of affairs. Let me start by saying I trust you know who you are when I say…

Some of you need to think long and hard about how you talk about others.

People have died.

Regardless of the political, social, religious or other reasons this is always a tragedy. Show some damn respect. There are users from all corners of the planet on this forum – who knows who may have been affected or knows someone close who has been.

Some of you need to think long and hard about how you talk about others.

This is still a moderated forum and some of the open, personal attacks here are just as unwelcome as any hate-speech or lack of respect for the dead. This place is not 4chan or some other unmoderated hole where people can cuss at each other as much as they please.

If you have an issue with what someone has said, report what they’ve said and see if it is dealt with. If you can’t do anything but make personal attacks then your comments are in all likelihood just as unwelcome as those you’re replying to in the first place.

Keep it clean people. Play nice.

No bans this time, just sort it the hell out okay?

Hell, I’m British and this BREXIT crap and the cultural powder keg that goes with it are bad enough as it is.

Just calm the **** down and discuss it politely, if you want to discuss it at all. Otherwise go someplace else.

Edit / Update: Also, please don't report posts from this thread now that it has been locked. The matter is closed - move on.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:58:41 am by Fineus »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
No bans this time, just sort it the hell out okay?

Actually, I've already said bans are being handed out. The issue under debate at the time was how long. So Dragon and Mika get a week off.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:30:12 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]