Author Topic: BattleTech Short Film  (Read 992 times)

Offline Meldric

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Good Morning!

I am not really new to FS2 / FSO, but I re-found it, because I am looking for a possibility to add BattleTech space assets to a short film we (ClanWolf.net) are about to produce. I have models of a McKenna, Sovetskii Soyuz and a Leopard and what I need would be this:
Warship coming out of a jump sequence, drifting a little bit, Dropship released (Leopard) from the docking bay, turning towards camera and beginning to burn towards a planet. Not much more than that (for now).

We have one guy who actually has some experience in FRED, but I was wondering if someone could point me to BattleTech content for FSO that might be helpfull to our project. I know of Eiswolf's Aerospace, but there the last activity was in 2014. And we are not aiming for a mod or a conversion. We would "only" need the ships in the game for this short sequence to film.

I am impressed by FSO and the mods! Incredible what a dedicated community can do! To be very honest, I just deinstalled Star Citizen to replace it with FSO!
:)

Anyone interested or know where I can start looking for assets?

Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:07:29 am by Meldric »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Unfortunately, I am unaware of any BT-related content apart from Eiswolf's aborted project.

There are of course hundreds of ancillary effects that the community has produced which would be usable for this sort of thing (I'm thinking mostly of skyboxes and backgrounds here), which you are free to use for your project, but I kinda have to ask if it wouldn't be simpler to render such a cutscene using a dedicated modelling/animation/rendering program like Blender or 3ds MAX. Doing these things in FSO requires so much additional setup (because, in order to make a cutscene like this, you'd have to turn your ship models into game-ready assets, meaning converting them to the proprietary format FSO uses, setting up tables to use them as objects in the game) and comes with some restrictions (like having to grapple with FSO's slightly idiosyncratic camera code) that you could handily avoid.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Meldric

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Of course we considered that. Checked on Unity as well. Unfortunatly, we would need to set up all else around it. And we do not have too much know-how about it. In contrast we have one guy who readily shouted: I have used FRED and FSO (long time ago though)... why not check that out... Well, we just did. We did not abandoned the other approaches completly, but we check out all possibilities. Other scenes will be recorded in MW:Online and MW:LL as well as some self made webcontent assets. And of course the reason why I asked here... I thought it might very well be possible someone already created those BT ships for FSO and might be willing to share.

I love to see a BT Mod for FSO... maybe someone would like the approach as well. Hope always dies last.
:)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:35:54 am by Meldric »