Author Topic: Ready Player One trailer  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Ready Player One trailer

I'm sure HLP'ers are thrilled to see this.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Ready Player One trailer
It's going to take major talent to turn the complete crap that is Cline's book into anything approaching mediocrity.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Of course, it's a shame that funds are being wasted to turn into something we don't like.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

I'm... I'm looking forward to it...  :nervous:

That is an amazing trailer, and I'll fight IRL anyone who says otherwise  :pimp:

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I RECOGNISED THINGS AND I CLAPPED.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm... I'm looking forward to it...  :nervous:

That is an amazing trailer, and I'll fight IRL anyone who says otherwise  :pimp:

It's a terrible trailer, fyte me

Thing is, does this look good for you because you recognize a lot of the elements being mashed together, or because it seems like a genuinely interesting story? RPO (the book) consistently mistakes making references to good things to making good things; I fear that similar things will happen in this movie, where the shallowness of the story gets papered over by "Oh look it's the Iron Giant from The Iron Giant/look, BTTF's DeLorean/That Ork is holding a HALO pulse rifle!!!".

Offline Luis Dias

Come on but think of the possibilities! There's never been a movie about alternative realities enabled by VR technology, the movie is gonna be a watershed moment!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Come on but think of the possibilities! There's never been a movie about alternative realities enabled by VR technology, the movie is gonna be a watershed moment!!

1999 would like to have a word.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Check the batteries in your Sarcasmotron™
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Luis Dias

Can't wait for the part where he fights alongside a dashing black suit woman HALO style against some bugs and eventually a green beam into the sky.

Or, just imagine, like a Lord of The Rings kind of fantasy scenario where they have Elf ears and ****, or they could, like, have butterfly wings in their backs! And fly! Bending buildings! Kaleidoscopic nightmares! The endless possibilities of original things that may appear!!

Or.... just imagine.

Sentient AIs.

*shivers with ecstasy*

Well, The E (if that is your real name), the joke's on you. Because while you were helping to preserve the greatest space combat sim of all time, I studied the blade.

Seriously though, the trailer made me want to see the movie. As a trailer, that's all it's supposed to do. Setting aside any knowledge or opinion about the book, how would anyone here really think about it?

There is a feeling I got just a few times at the movies, and I've been chasing it ever since:
Who's seen Jurassic Park, the first one? You know the scene when the jeeps drive onto those rolling hills and you see a wide shot of brachiosaurs and all the other critters and the John Williams kicks in and Dr Grant stands up and looks dumb? I felt that.
And after watching and rewatching A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back dozens of times on VHS, and then sitting in the theater in 1999 to watch the opening crawl of The Phantom Menace, I felt it again.
And in, of all places, Iron Sky, when the camera pans over and reveals a frikken fleet of secret space ships going to fight space nazis, I felt a little bit of it.
And when I saw the Iron Giant standing there, it hit me again, and when the DeLorean flipped its wheels out and took off, I felt that again.

Am I a witless victim of this focused attack on my nostalgia? Probably! But I don't care if I can just get completely lost in an awesome adventure again.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, I can understand that (sort of), but I would rather have my nostalgia bone tickled by something that is also new and has something more to say in its chosen genre than "old things were cool! Remember old things?". Pacific Rim, for instance, did exactly that: It was clearly inspired by and makes references to its predecessors in the super robot genre, but it also does new things. It is also infused with style; From the first frame, you know that this is a Guillermo del Toro film. Ready Player One can only develop its own style in the spaces between styles borrowed from other films or games; this makes it challenging for me to figure out just what this film (and the book) actually are when all the references are stripped away.