Author Topic: Shin Godzilla (2016)  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Shin Godzilla (2016)
So I just finished watching this film and I really, really enjoyed it. Was not expecting to enjoy it quite as much as I did.

Without going into spoilers, the film reimagines Godzilla's origin and first appearance in Japan. The film puts quite a heavy emphasis on the response of the government and various agencies to what is effectively portrayed as a huge national disaster. The film has minimal characterisation, everyone effectively serves to move the plot(s) along.

This film is quite weird and very, very Japanese. It's really not suitable for general audiences, at least in the West. That being said - nerds, Weebs and Godzilla fans like myself will probably enjoy it. There are themes throughout the film regarding Japan's reluctance to take action without deferring to international partners, particularly the US. This is something that probably resonates much more strongly with a Japanese audience or someone who is familiar with their politics. I found it quite interesting if a little difficult to follow at times.

The effects are a mixture of minimal cgi shots (a couple of which are sadly, but forgivably tv-quality) and good-old fashioned practical effects. The monster itself is not cgi, save for some touching up in a few shots here and there. The monster is cgi with motion capture. Some of the early parts of the film make the monster look almost corny, but it has a really strange, unsettlingly quality to it which creeped me out.

Apart from the often dense dialogue and lack of meaningful characters, my only major criticism of the film is that we don't actually see an awful lot of Godzilla.

But, what we do see is used to really great effect. There's a scene where ol' Gojira fires up his atomic breath and it's really quite terrifying.

I definitely recommend giving it a watch. If you saw hollywood's Godzilla 2014 and like me were disappointed then you'll find this to be a welcome salve.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:54:19 pm by Buckshee Rounds »

Re: Shin Godzilla (2016)
So, I just spend close to an hour total writing a reply with my thoughts on the movie and why I enjoyed it as much as I did, but unfortunately the antiquated piece of **** version of Firefox we're allowed at work crashed on me and erased the painstakingly written 4-5 paragraphs putting my thoughts into words. So rather than going through that again (for the moment anyway), here is the 1-paragraph abridged version :

So I just finished watching this film and I really, really enjoyed it. Was not expecting to enjoy it quite as much as I did.
This sums up my initial thoughts on the film. I thought it was alright, but thinking about it a bit more afterwards, I realized I actually really liked, in part due to how un-hollywood-esque it is. I liked how it pays tribute to the franchise while being its own thing, I like how it's more political satire than monster action movie, I like how it's got something to say, I like how it's shot, I like how the handle the international aspect despite only having 1 supposedly foreign character, I don't mind the minimal characterization as the film moves along quite nicely despite that, I don't mind the early corny Godzilla as the rest of the movie makes up for it, I don't mind the not-blockbuster level special effects as they make good use of what they have.

I'll just finish by saying that I'm in no way a fan of Godzilla of japanese live action movies (good gods the AoT movie was disappointing), and that so far : Shin Godzilla (2016, 15M US$) >> Godzilla (1998, 130M US$) > Godzilla (2014, 160M US$).

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
The first 'form' of Godzilla I liked because it looked like some weird-ass thing that crawled up off the floor of the bay. 

The movie overall, I thought was excellent, and I enjoyed it throughout.  I was a big fan of their CG compositing.  Sometimes it's not about looking right, but looking less wrong.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
I saw it a little while back and had a good time watching it, though I was a little disappointed by some of the directions the plot and filming style went in.  I suspect my expectations were in the way.  That said, it was fun to watch the first time through.  I've always found the Toho Godzilla movies to be kind of a guilty pleasure and this was about just right.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.