Author Topic: Home One capital cruiser - WIP  (Read 10789 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Home One capital cruiser - WIP
That's all I had available at the moment, I don't remember much of that ship.  It's not shown in much detail very often.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Extract my ref pics and use IrfanView to browse the ROTJ folder.  ;)  I think there's a few shots in there.  Remember the file name is the pw.  Caps sensitive.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Nice work so far. :)

With mesh editing tutorials and a bit of practice, I think you'll find both adding pods and general greebling to be a lot easier now. :D

On a related note, a while back I discussed the technique to implement rotating multipart turrets for Mon Cal ships with Chief.
One of the ideas was this rotation setup:

Now, this wasn't really practical as there was no way to stop the turret rotating into the hull and shooting through the ship. With Wanderer's new build however, that's no longer a problem:

Code: [Select]
$Maximum Barrel Elevation:
      - defines the maximum elevation in degrees allowed for the barrels of a turret. (integer, 0 to 90)
   $Turret Base FOV:
      - defines the maximum FOV for the turret base. (integer, 0 to 359)
      - forces more complicated turret fov tests.
      - if target is past the turrets rotation limit it turns around via the front direction
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Snaga

Thanks VA, I´ll really need those tutorials.
Now, with that technique you are saying that the turret´s base should move in it´s Y axis and the arms in their X axis? That would be opposite than the regular axis configuration.
At first, I was thinking of making the arms inside the blister pods within a kind of window, and something to act as the moving base that could barely be seen. And for the side turrets, just pods with windows that will be from where it will fire, these would be simple part turrets.  The difficulty here, lays in not to break the calamari hull shape with conventional turret models.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i agree with snaga.  that solution seems to fit best with the source material.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Wait, there's source material for what Mon Cal turrets look like? I assumed it was more just 'shots coming from greebled areas' kinda thing.

The axis rotation stuff is no problem with Bob's off axis rotation feature, so there's no question that turret mechanism can work - just a question of whether or not it fits in with the intended style of the ship as a whole. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think you can save yourself a lot of effort and decide that protruding barrels are decidedly non-Calamari. What's wrong with just ordinary blisters? You can even texture it with little holes that you can pretend are the firing points.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, they didn't have to be protruding barrels, my thought was a slit in which they could move around inside the blister, and any movement would only be visible up close.  I still think it would be cool to at least have stationary turrets modeled inside the blisters, but that could prove too resource heavy.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays