Author Topic: My "little" WIP Topic  (Read 109881 times)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Big thumbs up man!  I never dreamt of ever seeing that finished and yet there it is, finished!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
That tells us how much IceFire had faith on this project :snipe:

( :D )
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

thanks guy, very kind of you!

anyway, now that the geo is finished, it needs to be put ingame :)
some work for me on this one, as this would be my first complete ship.

but does anyone know if it is possible to get this kind of weapon effect? i mean the one where you see 3 beamweapons to the nose and then one very big beam gets to the target.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If the ship is stationary you could probably fake it quite easily by placing an invisible, invincible, untargetable neutral ship in front of the Victory and getting it to fire the big beam a second after the victory fires at it.

With a moving ship you'd need to make the ship jump in, in front of the victory and I'm not certain FRED would let you place the ship close enough to make that work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

i dont know much about the weapons at all in fs2, but would it be possible to do some kind of special sprites for that weapon? some that would fit the ship so that you can fire this weapon while moving

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's not look of the weapon itself that is the problem. I'm leaving that to the artists (I'm just a mission maker) but that shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

The problem is getting the Victory to fire all three beams at something that isn't an enemy ship and then have a beam come out of that location. Freespace will only allow you to fire at an enemy ship at the moment. What the Victory does would be classified as the ship firing on itself. It also won't let you fire beams from a turret that can't be targetted meaning that there would be a big invisible box you could target on the Victory in front of the ship called Turretxx (unless untargettable subsystems have finally be implemented).  

At the moment faking it using an invisible ship is the only thing I can think of that can get around those problems.

The way I mentioned could probably be made to work for a moving ship as well as a stationary one. You'd just need more testing for the former.

Offline rynadrk

Why not stick a dock point on the front of the ship and dock a an invisible ship to it?  Then it wouldn't matter if the ship moved or not.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Cause FS2 would show the name of the docked ship in the HUD which would look odd. No matter what you called it the Victory would always display as being docked to something.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How's this:

It would require a few code changes though.  1st, the 3 convergence turrets on the wingtips would have an extremely narrow field of fire, and their normals would need to be aimed precicely at the nose of the ship.  2nd, the table entry for those beams would make its beam range so short that it would terminate exactly at the nose of the ship.  The fire duration would also need to be made to last just longer than the main beam, so to give the power-up effect.  3rd (coding required), the fire-beam sexp would need to be altered to include an option for the beam being fired not to target at any specific ship, but rather to fire precisely down its normal.  Then, its just a matter of timed beam-fire commands between the wing-tips and the nose.  There'd also need to be an event to render the fire sequence inoperative if any of the 3 convergence turrets are destroyed.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually that reminds me of something I found when I was experimenting with Mjolnir type beams. If you make the fof too large they'll fire even though the target isn't actually in front of them.

So if you gave some adapted type 4 beam cannons a 180 degree field of vision but add the normals so that they converge in front of the Victory, you might be able to have the effect of all three beams meeting in the middle by simply unlocking them a second before you want the main beam to fire.

that sounds pretty good. i will do some guns with the direction exactly to the nose, just in case :)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Discuss this with me over ICQ before you make changes to the model.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

here are some more WIPs

the first is just a shot of my skybox try with my first ship ingame, the rutarian. it is not fully finished yet, some exporting issues, but mostly finished :)

the second one is the BinTak,but that is no real texture, i just put over the ortho view from which i modeled, i will do a texture from scratch on my own. The model has 1192 polys so far, but some details and the little guns are missing.

special thanks to Nadab Göksu for Ref and especially Lt.Cannonfodder for rendering the ortho views, that was a great help with modeling!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by I_E_Maverick
the second one is the BinTak,but that is no real texture, i just put over the ortho view from which i modeled, i will do a texture from scratch on my own. The model has 1192 polys so far, but some details and the little guns are missing.

I've never seen that design before.  I assume that its semi-cannon and looks to be an upgrade of the Th'Nor or something.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
It's a non-canon, kind a like a Narn version of Warlock...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline tomcat

• Dark Lord of Truespace
it is semi canon... AOG models where according to franchize I think
Truespace is the path of the Dark Side
-----------------------------------------------
Dark Truespace Master Tomcat

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Right... Well. Thats something I did not think about. I stand corrected.

Semi-canon, non-canon, who cares? If it's a good ship... Yes?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Personally I think I like the design more than the G'Quan. It's really grown on me.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

ok, some new stuff, any idea what it is?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Umm...darnit.

Drawing a blank here...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story