Author Topic: My new campaign  (Read 25129 times)

Offline yubyub

After finishing reading your post, it seems our equations are identical now. :blah:  Well its good to see we both came to the same conclusion in different ways, just reinforces that your way WAS correct all along.

the momentum system should be applied to losses the way I wrote
*foot in mouth*  :o

Sorry for the trouble...  The good news is that we know after all this testing that your way will work.  Now the fun part will be for anyone lucky enough to beta this campaign, ingame balancing.  :D

Last edit: So the end equations are:
  • EngagementScore: ((Ship Strength+momentum) * Number of Ships)/Percentage of Fleet commited
  • Losers Losses: (No Of Ships Committed * 10 - (momentum))/10
  • Winners Losses: Losses = (loser losses * loser strength* (10-momentum))/(10*winner strength)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 03:49:53 pm by yubyub »

True, but in all fairness my way did incorporate your momentum suggestion. Anyway now we just have to wait for IPAndrews to code it and see if he can make it work.

Offline yubyub

True, but in all fairness my way did incorporate your momentum suggestion.
That is true, but my momentum suggestion was inspired by the way you set the 10% of ships engaging in battle. ;) Anyways, I'll stop spamming this thread.  I can't wait to find out if IPAndrews can code this. 

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I can certainly code it. Easy peasy. Lemon squeezy even.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
You know what guys, I think the framework is good enough now to start adding missions in (the easy part actually). Happy days my friends. Sincere thanks for everyone's help with the loss calculations.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
To prove to anyone that's interested that work is now progressing. Thanks mainly to Madaboutgames who is throwing together missions. Some random screenies. The first from a battle between a battlegroup full of Victory destroyers (the ISA are pretty lethal). The last two are from a battle between the Drakh and the League and show off the new Drakh destroyer.

nice lightshow :)
i wonder what ships stand againnst that victorys except vorlon or shadow ones :)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Some more pics because I was testing and the print screen key was there on the keyboard, just itching to be pressed! From a base assault on a JaDul using the Minbari.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
i wonder what ships stand againnst that victorys except vorlon or shadow ones :)

Against that many Victories?  :eek2: How about a couple of Vorlon Dreadnaughts? (hint, hint Stithe) :)

again, very cool shots!
jadul looks pretty cool, i havent seen the station ingame in close distance so far, thx for that!

it seems that your campaign is progressing well, good to see :)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
 :yes: :yes: :yes:
Hope we see it all in action pretty soon!

although you should have been more invetive with names   ;)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
    • The Heat Em Up Web site
I think we should go for the end of March as an eta realease, what do you think Ian?
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

Are You Ready?  Find Out!
www.heatemup.co.uk

Visit  -  http://proxima-fleet.com for the heatemup Forums.

Offline Cavane

GREAT work on this, you two, and whoever else is involved.  I can hardly wait for this one to release.  If you need a tester, by the way, I'm there.  madaboutgames can vouche for me.  I did some testing for him on his Heat 'em Up, and I think he was fairly satisfied.  Anyway, you guys have me hyped.  As I said before, I think this will bring a great deal of replay value to TBP, which is the major thing I think it had been lacking in.  I take off my hat to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
although you should have been more invetive with names   ;)

Easier said than done. I don't even think you can change ship names using sexps. Even if you could it'd need one SEXP per name (say 50 to avoid excessive dejavu), per race (10), per ship in mission (up to 20). So that's 10,000 SEXPs. So generic names are one of the compomises we have had to make to get this work.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I think we should go for the end of March as an eta realease, what do you think Ian?

If I had more time yeah that would be reasonable. Being as busy as I am, probably not. I reckon we can have the missions done by then but the voice acting will take some time to arrange. People can take weeks to return finished samples.

Offline berus

Well, the Media Farm voice "bank" is ready and waiting ...  ;)

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
Thats a point, as all the ingame speech will be by voice actors this may take some time to get it all right.  Well at least the trailer should be ready for next week :yes: So that should keep em going for a bit :)
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk

Sorry for this as I know you did the formula calculations on the last page, but what about taking into account fleet build-ups for things like base attacks, where it'd be more likely that the attacker would have put together a much larger attack force than normal. Although this could be offset by base defences, fixed emplacements and such.

Thats probably going into it too deeply and would add an impossible level of complexity by making it even harder for a losing side to regain the initiative.

Well, just a thought.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Easier said than done. I don't even think you can change ship names using sexps. Even if you could it'd need one SEXP per name (say 50 to avoid excessive dejavu), per race (10), per ship in mission (up to 20). So that's 10,000 SEXPs. So generic names are one of the compomises we have had to make to get this work.

Unless we can get WMCoolmon to figure out a way to allow you to do something like that using scripting of course :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
If theres an easier way to do it it will be worth it:)
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk