Author Topic: TBP on Linux Deux (again)  (Read 1415 times)

TBP on Linux Deux (again)
Hello,

Sorry to create another thread as one exists already but it got kinda long and a Linux newbie will simply get lost before he find the proper answer on howto install The Babylon Project.

So first, let's try to make it simple and do that install in a few steps only... no compiling necesary, just your knowledge of downloading torrents, files and copy/paste!!!

I will post no links here as I did not kept all of them myself. I run an old AMD64 with Slamd64 on it, so it is not the most maintream distro. All worked first try!

1 - torrent on your favourite torrent site something like "Babylon Project No Install" You will get some results... there is one of about 1.1GB - GET IT!!!
2 - google FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar - Download it!!!
3 - Hope you have java installed already, otherwise install it then do java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar. PS: you must be in the folder where you downloaded the file!
4 - As FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar opens with a nice and simple GUI, press NEXT, then create a  folder where to install the game and then NEXT again. Choose "Yes to All and then NEXT. This brings you to a nice choose menu. Well, leave the choices intact except for the "executable" options. There choose the Linux executable you are interested in (32 or 64 bits depending on your distro and CPU but not both of them). Click NEXT and it will start fetching files.
5 - Once your torrent is downloaded and your FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar downloaded all the files, you are set. Almost!!!
6 - Uncompress the torrent file and copy its contents someplace (I moved mine to /usr/local/games/TBP)
7 - Move/copy the folder FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar created to someplace (I moved mine to /usr/local/games/FS2Open)
8 - Go to wherever folder FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar downloaded its files (mine is moved to /usr/local/games/FS2Open.
9 - from here copy the lib folder and the folowing 4 files fs2_open fs2_open-debug fs2_open-debug.bin fs2_open.bin to the TBP folder
example: 
cp /usr/local/games/FS2Open/fs2_open* /usr/local/games/TBP/
cp -R /usr/local/games/FS2Open/lib /usr/local/games/TBP/
10 - go to your FS2Open folder and execute (sh fs2_open) fs2_open. This will start Freespace2 game!!!
11 - go to your TBP folder and execute (sh fs2_open) fs2_open. This will start TBP game!!!

Voila! C'est tout!!!

PS: I know this is a very long process and I just described the way I did my install as I wanted both games. Actually I wanted FreeSpace2 first as I played it many years ago then reading on it I doscovered the TBP and once I got my files, I simply copied the game executable over. So if you do not want the standard FreeSpace2 and only the TBP then use the FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar to only download the Linux executable for your platform.