Author Topic: TBP 3.4b beta feedback  (Read 23621 times)

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Oh dont worry. The crusade pack that im planning has two Thundebolt reskins-retools.
One competly black, the other with shadow skins
Currently Im waiting for 3.4b to be released mainstream. If you want, have someone medel it the send it to me. Ill include it
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I'm expecting to hear a smack from IP any time now.... :nervous:

I had a cricket bat around here somewhere  :nervous:.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
So anyway. What do we have so far:

1) Difficult to read text in some parts of the installer.
2) A progress bar that doesn't make people feel all warm and secure but we can't actually fix.

Is that it? No more problems? What about if I ask these questions?

Do the campaign movies (TBP intro, EMW intro, RW logo, RW credits) all play correctly? Are FRED and the game engine working correctly? Is RW behaving itself this time? Have you downloaded Dark Children? (it's great)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I tried the Earth Minbari War a little while ago.  Had a sound glitch (crackling) during and a strange cursor problem (highlighted object turned to blank square) after the second mission.  Exiting and going back in seemed to fix the cursor issue but I didn't play the mission again yet.  Going to give it a try on another computer tomorrow to rule out hardware/drivers since I didn't notice the problem with DC on that computer.  Other than that I haven't noticed anything specific to TBP.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
cursor problem (highlighted object turned to blank square) after the second mission. 

No it's not your drivers. I've seen that one too. It's intermittent and so must be a game engine bug. I don't remember seeing it with the original release 3.6.9 build so I'm guessing it's something that was introduced in the branch Kara used to build those special builds of the game engine used in the 3.4b release. Still, those builds have bug fixes for show stopping big ugly nasty bugs that mean it's worth putting up with an intermittent annoyance. Still a shame it crept in though :(.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Actually just remembered I had the same problem when I first opened FRED.  The ship info box was all white.  Started working as soon as I turned on show ship models.  I've been using the inferno builds for FS2 and FRED if that makes a difference.

I'm wondering if that sound glitch could have caused the cursor problem or been a result of it.  I'll have to give it a try in debug mode to see if it spits out anything.  Too tired right now though.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
No it's not your drivers. I've seen that one too. It's intermittent and so must be a game engine bug. I don't remember seeing it with the original release 3.6.9 build so I'm guessing it's something that was introduced in the branch Kara used to build those special builds of the game engine used in the 3.4b release. Still, those builds have bug fixes for show stopping big ugly nasty bugs that mean it's worth putting up with an intermittent annoyance. Still a shame it crept in though :(.

Thing is that I didn't touch the graphics or interface code at all. So I'm somewhat puzzled how this bug could appear in the BtRL builds. Nor have I heard the complaint from anyone using patch 2 for BtRL (which is basically the exact same code with a different icon).

I'll see if I can get it to happen while playing Dark Children tonight.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
- AGAIN: could the default setting of the launcher be changed to the INF build ?
- sometimes, I get graphical glitches during explosions, you can see some weird texture effect for half a second. (graphical options are the default ones of the launcher)
- the RW Mission1 briefing (last stage) has still a incomplete voice file, but I guess there is no way to fix that but to find the original voice-talent

RaiderWars intro IS played, have not checked about the outro yet (since I am fredding like a maniac instead of playing RW)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 03:48:45 am by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
- AGAIN: could the default setting of the launcher be changed to the INF build ?

No. Sorry bud.

- the RW Mission1 briefing (last stage) has still a incomplete voice file, but I guess there is no way to fix that but to find the original voice-talent

Yeah. Lost forever.

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
-AGAIN: were is the new Epsilon 3 background planet?... is it include?
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline Vidmaster

No. Sorry bud.

But maybe some popup or hint during the installation? ANYTHING? :shaking: :nervous: :shaking: :nervous: :nervous:

There are a lot of pcx files in the core.vp called crimXXX under interface, all cool pictures from the show? Can they be put to any use somehow?

Also, is the nameplate pack in there? I am failing to find it (and FH2260 needs that too)
!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:46:22 am by Vidmaster »

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Vidmaster

more mocking by me, sorry.

Did you changed background bitmaps? P_GAS 10 which was added with 3.4a is missing, but FH2259 AND FH2260 use this planet!!!  :ick:

Offline Yathin

• Order vs. Chaos. Choose one!
Using the jump effect in the jumpgate looks all screwy now :p It shrinked the size of the  vortex in my jumpgate (when I was using the jump effect  :confused: ) This means I will have to redo all jump effects (in the events)  :hopping:

Also, don't all of the ships have the same size as far as vortexes? (or at least, very close to)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJTXbZ7AgRM&feature=related

Notice the White Star's size near the end (vortex wise)

Any way to use the old warp effect?  :drevil:

Another thing I noticed: When you use "glide" it will not use any sound unless you are going backwards! (as far as YOUR ship) - Also, being able to change direction in glide... makes it confusing.

(Any way to make the warp effect not transparent unless its at the edges? because then I could make better looking missions with a proper warp effect. (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYB8RcuKbaw&feature=related )
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 06:26:07 pm by Yathin »
"The main motive for going beyond the rim...there's a heck of a big Taco Bell out there...." - JMS

"In the BETA, mounting the reverse side of the ladder pretty much resulted in you getting a knife in the ass or worse." - Dylan Jobe

WIP : First Strike

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
cursor problem (highlighted object turned to blank square) after the second mission.

Did the same scenario on this computer except used debug build.  Of course no problem with the sound crackling or cursor occurred. 

Anyone else notice some of the replies seem to be disappearing at times?  I know there were a couple more posts in this thread earlier today.

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
OK, FYI for everyone.

There will be a TBP v3.4 beta 2 release to correct issues in the current 3.4b Beta.

IP Andrews (and maybe karajorma) will be adressing the game issues and I will be addressing the installer issues.

Fix notes on the installer so far:

1. - The Text visibility will be improved. (for karajorma)
2. - A Inferno Builds Folder and a Debug Folder will be added to the TBP Start Menu Group. (for Vidmaster)
3. - Additional text will be added on the Progress Screen explaining the "Hang Effect" and to be patient. (for Woolie Wool)

Please cotinue to post any more issues with the game or the installer here and we will try to address them as best we can fro the next release.

Thanks.

hip63 :p

P.S. - One good thing is that this extra time is allowing me to improve the TBP DVD. I think it's really going to please. :)

(keep working there Vidmaster, make it perfect ;))
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:01:17 am by hip63 »
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline Vidmaster

I need a definite YES or NO on the p_gas10 planet problem. CAN IT BE FIXED?

If yes, I leave it in both FH2250 and FH2260 so it will display correctly in the 3.4b release 2, if no I have to rewrite large portions of the command briefings and switch to another gas giant. Funny, a single background template causing such a huge effect  :doubt:

I am really sorry folks about my obsession with this thing, but it is important. As an apologise, I can official state that FH2260 is finished and will be send to the testers this evening and that, on the risk of sounding selfish, it's awesome. And I added a little "dedicated to the whole TBP mod team" to the intro, just for you guys. Great mod!  :yes:

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
I do believe it will be fixed, IPA will have to confirm.

hip63 :p
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Found a couple more minor issues with the installer.  Note if you delete the folder like your supposed to these won't happen.  Since you were trying to idiot proof it your deletion batch file need to get rid of a couple more things.  It leaves the batch files that I think were installed with 3.4a.  It also leaves old 3.6.9 exe files.

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
which files exactly?

hip63 :g

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
These are the ones I have leftover: 

fs2_open_3_6_9_debug-INF.exe
fs2_open_3_6_9-INF.exe
fred2_open_3_6_9_debug-INF.exe
fred2_open_3_6_9-INF.exe

Shortcuts:
fred2_open_3_6_9.exe
fred2_open_3_6_9_debug.exe
fred2_open_3_6_9_debug-INF.exe
fred2_open_3_6_9-INF.exe

Also have fred2_open_3_6_10-20071028T.exe but I put that one there for testing purposes.