Author Topic: Multi Player  (Read 32636 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Yea I saw that too after I sent you the PM.   I'll go ahead an change the rest of the missions to use the non combatant IFF I just won't pack them up yet.   I'll probably even do that in the TvT missions just because it looks better then unknown and should take all of 30 seconds a mission after I test the first one.   
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Tis fixed.

Ironically the exact same code that was causing the problem
Code: [Select]
                         if (!iff_matches_mask(shipp->team, team_mask)) {
// if we're in multiplayer dogfight, ignore this
if(!((Game_mode & GM_MULTIPLAYER) && (Netgame.type_flags & NG_TYPE_DOGFIGHT))) {
continue;
}

was found in 3 places in the code and you'd picked the only one of those that the game would never run due to dealing with the IFFs correctly. :D Nonetheless as soon as you'd pointed that one out I checked the other functions with similar code and found the two which were actually causing the problem. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well at least I got it in the ballpark on my firs swing at the code.  Maybe I should retire while I'm ahead.   :lol:

Just tested the dogfight I modified yesterday.  Works just fine.  One minor quark but it only occurs under a circumstance that should never happen.  You can target yourself with the E key if you are the only ship in the game.  Don't know how many people play dogfights by themselves that would notice that.  Also tried it with two computers and it worked on the client side as well.

Time for some hardware work then I'll do some TvT testing.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 01:24:38 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Stick it in Mantis as a trivial bug and I'll fix it eventually.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I don't think it's even Mantis worthy.  The only time you can do it is if you are the host and there are no clients.  Kind of make a dogfight pointless.  If all clients are at respawn you can't target yourself or anything like that. 

TvT also works fine.  All dogfight missions are already changed and test loaded.  Will be changing the rest of the TvT missions in a little while. 

Did you do any work on the Whitestar loadout?  I just tried selecting it in a gauntlet mission and it came up with a correct loadout screen. 

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Did you do any work on the Whitestar loadout?  I just tried selecting it in a gauntlet mission and it came up with a correct loadout screen. 

To be honest Fubar I'm prepared to release and just put comments in the FAQ saying the Whitestar and Drakh Raider don't score kills in multiplayer and probably won't work. Neither of them are particularly exciting ships in multiplayer anyway.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well that Drakh one is fun.  Is there any reason they are classified as gunships?  It's not like the player knows that info.  I agree on the Whitestar it's just too much trouble for now. 

BTW:  We have a game up doing some testing.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Code: [Select]
=================== STARTING LEVEL LOAD ==================
ANI 2_Loading.ani with size 43x43 (32.8% wasted)
Starting model page in...
Beginning level bitmap paging...
BMPMAN: Found EFF (particlesmoke02.eff) with 98 frames at 30 fps.
cf_get_file_list_preallocated looking for type=7, filter="*-fbl.tbm"
BMPMAN: Found EFF (JumpIn01.eff) with 61 frames at 22 fps.
BMPMAN: Found EFF (JumpOut02.eff) with 61 frames at 22 fps.
loading warp modelLoading model 'warp.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'warp.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 3400428489, IBX checksum: 3824136535 -- "warp.pof"
BMPMAN: Found EFF (shieldhit01a.eff) with 23 frames at 21 fps.
SHOCKWAVE =>  Loading default shockwave model...
Loading model 'shockwave.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'shockwave.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum: 3254423745, IBX checksum: 3812486643 -- "shockwave.pof"
SHOCKWAVE =>  Default model load: SUCCEEDED!!
MISSION LOAD: 'FUBAR_MD18a.fs2'
Hmmm... Extension passed to mission_load...
Starting mission message count : 196
Ending mission message count : 196
Current soundtrack set to -1 in event_music_reset_choices
Loading model 'v-dread.pof'
IBX: Found a good IBX to read for 'v-dread.pof'.
IBX-DEBUG => POF checksum:   55268276, IBX checksum:  119262136 -- "v-dread.pof"
BMPMAN: Found EFF (vorlonblue-glow.eff) with 21 frames at 84 fps.
BMPMAN: Found EFF (ea-debris01-glow.eff) with 55 frames at 7 fps.
DDS ERROR: Couldn't open 'ea-debris01-glow_0053' -- File not found
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem petal01a, believed to be in ship v-dread.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem petal02a, believed to be in ship v-dread.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem petal03a, believed to be in ship v-dread.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem petal04a, believed to be in ship v-dread.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem petal05a, believed to be in ship v-dread.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem petal06a, believed to be in ship v-dread.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem petal07a, believed to be in ship v-dread.pof
Subsystem turret27-destroyed in ships.tbl not found in model!
Subsystem turret28-destroyed in ships.tbl not found in model!
Subsystem turret29-destroyed in ships.tbl not found in model!
Subsystem turret30-destroyed in ships.tbl not found in model!
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem antennae01a, believed to be in ship v-dread.pof
Warning: Ignoring unrecognized subsystem antennae02a, believed to be in ship v-dread.pof
Subsystem engine01 in ships.tbl not found in model!
Subsystem engine02 in ships.tbl not found in model!
Subsystem engine03 in ships.tbl not found in model!
Subsystem engine04 in ships.tbl not found in model!
Int3(): From d:\c++\freespace\fs2_open 3.6.9 - btrl\code\globalincs\windebug.cpp at line 1040

Strange thing is I got that at mission load not during play where the crash is occurring. The NWTR style mission with the Vorlon fighters works so it almost has to be something with the Dreadnought.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
One of those errors could easily be the cause of the crash though. Although the game warns you that there is an error you click no and continue playing. All goes well until some part of the game actually tries to do something with the petal01a subsystem. At that point the game finds that it doesn't exist and that it's now accessed either a null or wild pointer and falls over.

Short of testing every single piece of parsed data for validity before actually using it there's very little you can do to stop that kind of error. The secret is to trap out and squash bad data during development. Which is why I always have a go at people who ignore table errors on the grounds that they probably aren't important if they only come up in debug.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
What's really weird though is that the host doesn't crash only the clients.  Wonder if there was a fix for the problem in single which also takes care of the host end bud doesn't take into account clients.  Host passes them the data they can't handle and crash. 

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I will have a look at the dreadnaught this evening. Though none of those errors are serious. I've seen missing subsystem errors a bazillion times and they've never caused a crash. Nor should they. If my pof editting doesn't fix it we put crashes with the Vorlon Dreadnaught in multiplayer into the FAQ as a known bug.

Fubar. Please can you have a set of multiplayer missions outfitted with the Non com IFF ready for Thursday. Also please select a subset of the missions we have which we have confidence in. We need to draw the line and drop the buggy multiplayer missions now. You can always continue development and add to/override the multiplayer missions in the 3.4b core at a later date.

Let's tidy up and release now please.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Well that Drakh one is fun.  Is there any reason they are classified as gunships?

Yes. It's to do with how the AI handles them in battle and what ships they engage. The gunship AI class exists for a reason. That's why we waited god knows how many years for it :-). It's a shame Inferno doesn't work with multiplayer because you could just create a Bomber clone of the ship in the additional ships table.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Inferno HEAD builds do work in multiplayer.

Not that it's of any use to you to know that. :D

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
No put Fubar might be happy to know that a simple game engine swap will ressurect his Drakh Raider barge battle somewhere down the line.

For now and TBP's 3.6.9 build I think the mission should be left out. As it does not function.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Inferno HEAD builds do work in multiplayer.

Not that it's of any use to you to know that. :D

well, it WOULD give us fredders the possibility to add Dilgar, FirstOnes and more exotic ships  :blah:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah but it's going to be quite a while before 3.7 is ready. So it's not something that has much bearing on this release.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Very true Kara. Let's focus here.  :)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
just wanted to point out that it's not completly useless ;7
sure, let's finish multiplayer support
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
No put Fubar might be happy to know that a simple game engine swap will ressurect his Drakh Raider barge battle somewhere down the line.

For now and TBP's 3.6.9 build I think the mission should be left out. As it does not function.

I'll just copy it and redo the loadout to omit that ship in the current one.  Can always add the gunship version later and it's already done. 

@IP:  Did you get the file I sent you last night?  It has all the non comm IFF versions in it and the duplicates removed.

@Kara:  Can you point me in the direction of a version of FRED that has the multi sexps in it or give me the basic syntax so I can notepad it in.  I just need a basic everyone in a wing is dead or departed including AI.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 12:02:59 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hmmmm. You might actually be opening a can of worms using those SEXPs now that I think of it. I made those SEXPs assuming that the original :v: num-kills SEXP worked in multiplayer. I've got a funny feeling it might not now that I look at the code again.

I'll test them out heavily and try to get a build to you tonight.