Author Topic: HLPX-COM: Enemy Within  (Read 44352 times)

YOU MADE PROMISES NGTM
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I MAY NOT REMEMBER WHAT THEY ARE, SO PLEASE REMIND ME!

Decided to keep Irina too, this way I have a spare viewpoint character when one gets shot or dies.

Operation Defiant Mist; 12:37 AM, Cologne, Germany.
Deployed: The E (assault, mission commander), Admiral Ralwood, Trashman, Irina Ignatyeva

"Sky says negative for infrared signatures."

"Just like last time. Okay rookies, spread out and grab cover. If you see an alien, shoot it and holler, preferably in that order. If you see a glowy orange thing, holler; the science types are real interested in those. You all remember the shutdown procedures? Good. Ral, you're with me. Trash, you're with Irina. You two better be in black armor and not bodybags at the end of the day or I'm kicking your asses. Move out."

"I got this one, take the other Ralwood."

"Contact, I got two in the back room of the place!"

"What the hell, they're ALL here!"

"Pull back, pull back. Trash, Irina, get over here!"

“One down, got him in the side when he moved up!”

“Trash, dammit, do not try to flank them, there are way too many. Pull back.”

“I can do it, I-**** flanking! Got one!” this one came around the back and got shot through the window since it's not really obvious

“Trash, pull back now or I swear to Carl you're riding back on top of the Skyranger if you live!”

“OW!”

“Ral!”

“I'm all right, just winged me-****!”

“Ral, get back, way back.”

"Copy."

“Got another one!”

“Well dammit if you're going to be like that, make yourself useful. Irina, with me, move in.”

“He missed me-****, flank! Son of a *****!”

“Frag out!” It's hard to see, but it's passing the transparent truck.

“Okay, good one Irina, moving in.”

“Scratch one. Trash, can you get the last one?”

“Sure thing. Frag out!”

“That wasn't what I had in mind, Trash, but okay.”

Ralwood came off the Skyranger on a stretcher. We learn about the reactions of our vests to plasma fire, as so much else in life, by doing. The first hit will not penetrate the vest. It will almost certainly break a rib or three, and we have learned to wear gloves to protect our hands from flashburns. The second hit, as Ralwood has taught us, technically will not penetrate the vest either. It will definitely break ribs and shatter the vest into several large sharp fragments.

Ralwood ran 20 meters with a ceramic knife in the guts, did not appear to even notice it until Trash pointed it out. Remarkable. I pressure-taped the wound without removing it, as there was no way to know what it might have cut. Nine days in sickbay, I am told.

The E's wounds did not appear serious, no worse than Micheal's in our first mission, and he walked off the Skyranger under his own power. He lifted off his vest and suddenly there was blood everywhere and the medical team was doing a very good impression of us in a firefight. His vest was faulty, there was internal layering in the ceramic. It spalled. The E did not even seem to know until nearly bleeding out between the hanger and medical. Stabilized now, but fourteen days in sickbay.

The commander was furious. He had our entire stock examined with the gear in the science lab and they found four other defective ones. I know the vests are South African, because I could hear the commander screaming at the South African attache from four rooms away. He threatened to load a team onto the Skyranger and raid the company, as he knows that politically there would be nothing they could do about it. The next batch of vests, they say, will come from America.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ow. At least I didn't die like a redshirt on my first mission.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
(OOC: Are you running with any Second Wave options active?)
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
(OOC: Are you running with any Second Wave options active?)

Two, actually. Save Scum, which I don't think I'll ever be using, but if I ever need to save a viewpoint character or something I wanted the option, Aiming Angles which is essentially "partial flanking", and both sets of extra missions.

A Feddie Story

I MAY NOT REMEMBER WHAT THEY ARE, SO PLEASE REMIND ME!

I get to be robopilot! I very definitely asked for this.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I get to be robopilot! I very definitely asked for this.

Would you like to be robopilot combat robot or robopilot airplane?

A Feddie Story

robopilot airplane!

Offline crizza

Sign me up as someone who can punch alliens through walls  :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Sign me up as someone who can punch alliens through walls  :D

I can't promise a MEC suit, yet anyways, though ironically I have a post to intro MECs written up already. I can guarantee that they will play a big role in the campaign; I'm a great believer in the Mechanized Exoskeleton Cybersuit, but have little experience with gene augs of yet.

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Killing alines.

EDIT:

To MEC or not to MEC. That is the question.
I don't particualy like their looks..but miniguns. MINIGUNS.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Actually, if it would fit within the narrative, could I be a support person of some sort? Doctor, scientist, engineer, etc- I don't usually see people clamoring for those roles, and it might put a nice spin on things.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

I will take a MEC suit when I make it into the XCOM roster. :D
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Actually, if it would fit within the narrative, could I be a support person of some sort? Doctor, scientist, engineer, etc- I don't usually see people clamoring for those roles, and it might put a nice spin on things.

Done. You're now the MEC Project Lead.

Contact, single fast-mover, Nigerian airspace. He's not squawking and he's not responding to the locals, and outran a pair of local jets with ease including a burst at hypersonic. Scramble Scotty.

Base, Scotty, radar lock, engaging.

Base, target is down, repeat, the UFO  is down. Two Avalanches expended.

Gratuitous reaction shot of HQ!

Settle down people. Retask the recon sat, I want imagery of that crash site. Prep the Skyranger.

Too much smoke. Go infra and magnify. Jesus, is that it? It looks intact. Scramble the Skyranger now!

Operation Soaring Skull, Nigerian interior, 6:17pm
Deployed: Micheal Sanderson (sniper, mission commander), Deathfun (support), Starslayer, Enoich

"Christ, what were you listening to?"

"Hey, I'm the mission commander, it's what were you listening to sir. No appreciation for good movie music here. Rookies! We've not lost anyone yet and if you die on us we lose our perfect record. Stay close to your buddy and if you're taking a lot of fire pull back."

"Contact! Count two-no four! Frag out!"

"Jesus Star, make the rest of us pointless why don't you? Move up, support StarSlayer!"

"That...won't be necessary."

"Last one just ran into the ship."

"All right, deathfun, get that door open."

"What the hell, it just beamed in! Materialized! Whatever!"

"So shoot it!"

"Got one!"

"Oww, you little *****! Die!"

"Not good, there."

"I got him that time."

"Fair 'nuff. Let's go home."

Five days in sickbay for Enoich. Not a bad mission, really. Only one causality and that less serious than some of the others. The new thing's still a mystery, it didn't leave a proper corpse, just a crystal of the alien stuff they're calling Elerium, and deathfun had damaged it with gunfire. Ralwood's one day out of leaving sickbay and both The E and Enoich are five. Things don't look bad at the moment.

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
They call it Meld.

It's a crystalline suspension for nanotech robots designed to interact with biological tissue on a molecular scale. Want to rewrite your DNA? Meld can do that. Want to seamlessly mesh electronics and biological tissue? Meld can do that too. This is the stuff of dreams and nightmares. The posthuman revolution has arrived, ladies and gentlemen, and it was brought to Earth by little gray bastards I'm paid to shoot.

We can't replicate it. The science and engineering staff have gone around to research and production facilities around the world tearfully begging for help on that, but everyone else is as confused as we are. So far the only Meld we're gonna get is stuff we're gonna capture.

The science staff has laid out two options for the commander, and he can chose both, neither, or one. The first is that, using what we've learned from studying the obviously altered genetics of dead aliens, we can incorporate some of their abilities into our soldiers or possibly even graft whole organs from other creatures. The second is that Meld can be used to allow the creation of efficient enhancement cybernetics, which can be easily swapped and replaced and upgraded, in effect creating modular soldiers.

The commander is...uneasy, with the genetics option. If we had more time, if we could test fully...but we can't. There's a war on. “Second best tomorrow” is the motto of science and engineering. Meld would make the process safe but it might not make it fully controllable. We talk about adapting alien abilities and grafting alien parts because we can study aliens to see how they did it; developing our own methods from scratch would just take too long. And the problem as the commander sees it is that a soldier grafted with more and more alien parts might become subject to problems we can't hope to anticipate, from alien control to special dietary needs.

So some joker posted the announcement up on the corkboard in the mess, with a note that said “Will Adam Jensen please stand up?” stapled onto it.

Somebody had to volunteer first.

“Lay it out for me IronBeer.”

“We amputate your arms and legs. We perform radical, experimental surgery on your spine, shoulders, and pelvis. We have a basic, minimally augmented set of limbs worked out that will allow you normal human interaction during the day-to-day, but your old bodyparts are gone forever. Meld performs man-made miracles, not divine ones. You'll gain around seventy-five pounds from the weight of the new parts. Your head will not be altered, and because you'll ask, you'll still be able to perform during romantic encounters.”

“And if it doesn't work?”

“The best case is that you'll be a quadriplegic, though given what Meld lets us do irreparable nerve damage is probably a thing of the past. It's a couple of orders of magnitude more likely that a failure will result in your death...And if any of us are left alive when the war is over, your sacrifice will be remembered as vital to the development of successful combat cybernetics.”

“And if it does work?”

“We had a heavy combat exoskeleton design in testing before the balloon went up. We couldn't get it self-sustaining in power for field use and there were issues with the control system. The aliens were nice enough to solve both problems for us. We're modifying the chassis now. After the procedure it will be a simple matter of detaching the everyday limbs and slotting your torso into the chassis. The entire process would take a couple of minutes at most and no equipment more complex than a human hand. A crane would help, but two or three people can do it just as well.”

“Then let's get started.”

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Muy excelente!  Hand me a DMR, its time to spread 7.62mm love.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline crizza

Damn, I want one of these suits^^

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I will reiterate: I cannot promise you a MEC.

There are two cognizant reasons for this. The first is that I'm doing really crappy at recovering Meld. The second is that not every class makes a good MEC.

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

I'm assuming that this is still a thing that you can do/want to do NGTM so I figured I'd remind everyone about it

Also, for my Support Character
Perks as they come:
Covering Fire
Field Medic
Revive - Hoping I'll never have to use that
Dense Smoke
Sentinel

Race - 1
Voice - 4
Head- 4
Skin Colour - 1
Hair/Helmet - 22
Hair Colour - 3
Facial Hair - 14
Armour Deco - 3
Armour Tint - 25

And huzzah, solid take down Scotty. That suit... hodamn
"No"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm going to mandate armor decos for now, simply as a class distingusher, and if you're a rookie you get the standard armor, but otherwise go crazy there.

A Feddie Story