Author Topic: What is the best game intro ever?  (Read 8535 times)

Offline mxlm

Re: What is the best game intro ever?
Mechwarrior 2 and its expansion sets, for instance.
Bravo cadet reports four Summoenrs on site.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Now, the weird thing was, that intro clearly screwed up a bunch of stuff the game itself got right. Clanners using contractions, for instance.

Probably done by an outside house?

Offline eliex

Probably the original Dawn of War intro for the sheer atmosphere and capturing the zealousness of the Space Marines.
The SCII one, although the actual intro is quite boring, I can't help but admire the graphics.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Both FS intros are still among the best I have seen. Apart from those, some of my favorites are Mission Critical, C&C and Megarace, for varying reasons. :D

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Picking one introduction (or anything, for that matter) as the 'best ever' is impossible. There are too many factors to take into consideration.

As for trailers that get your attention: this.

Offline mxlm

Now, the weird thing was, that intro clearly screwed up a bunch of stuff the game itself got right. Clanners using contractions, for instance.

In hindsight, it's amazing how much effort was put into capturing the feel of the BT universe. At least within the game itself. Didn't it have lengthy excerpts from the sourcebooks and novels dealing with the War of Refusal?

Then again, those were the days when Jane's relaxed realism titles had manuals that were hundreds of pages in length, so...
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Still the FS1 intro over here. The Lucifer appearing right in your face... as scary as Doom 3's central premise or even worse, if only for a few seconds...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
Dynasty Warriors 4 XL
FS1(Best)
Dune 2 (first one i ever saw)
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Falcon

World in Conflict definitely, very awesome intro, wish they had done it with the rest of the cinematics in game though.
Liked the opening intro in Descent II even though it was short.
Age of Empires had a cool intro as well.
Mechwarrior 4 intro also wins.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 06:29:06 am by Falcon »

Offline TESLA

• 1.21 gigawatts!
World in Conflict definitely, very awesome intro, wish they had done it with the rest of the cinematics in game though.

Did you buy the add-on pack for it? I was disappointed to how short it was (not to mention the lack of availability)
In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced
to talk to God.

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
As for trailers that get your attention: this.
Portal is legendary. Including legendary for this trailer.
Another brilliant trailer. I do not only believe the game will obliterate any bar set by similar ones but also be the most cinematic action experience to date.

Back to intros:
Crysis has a mad intro. Or God of War titles of course. Blizzard's games usually have one too.
The Aquanox Series has brilliant cinematics and the intros are wonderful (although the english translation isn't very well done).
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Crysis' intro actually struck me as very poor because it wasn't able to effectively integrate its gameplay videos with its renders...and the gameplay vids looked horrible.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Gotta second that. Crysis' pre-rendered FMV stuck out like a sore thumb and its gameplay segments managed to actually make the game look bad (I don't know how they managed that.)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
The FS1 intro is one of the most memorable video game experience I've ever had...
And the first time I saw it I was like 10 years old, scared the crap outa me. XD

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
My current top 6 of game intros... (with youtube links - except for FS & FS2)

1. FallOut

2. Freespace

3. Freespace 2

4. Legacy Of Kain: Definace

5. Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver II

6. The Witcher
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Enzo03

I liked FS1's intro MUCH BETTER than FS2's. Everything was well polished, especially for that era...

...'cept Lieutenant Ash's eye!!! That eye still bothers me because it's ugly - just a texture! It should have been modeled and made shiny and stuff but NOPE... they just used that texture... other than that it was a great cutscene.

As far as "best ever", I don't really know. I can't decide :P
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I war, Starlancer, Freelancer, Wing Commander 4. . Total annihilation (for its time) and so many more i've forgotten. . .
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
pong!
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline eliex

...'cept Lieutenant Ash's eye!!! That eye still bothers me because it's ugly - just a texture! It should have been modeled and made shiny and stuff but NOPE... they just used that texture... other than that it was a great cutscene.

Remember at that time such a texture would have been . . . "shiny" at that point. In any case, the emphasis on the eye was required for the effect.
Don't worry, you're not the only one to complain about this.  :p

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
In no order:

MW2 & 4
both FS intros
C&C:RA, RA2, and Yuri's Revenge were all great (Hell March!)
Dawn of War
WoW: Wrath of the Lich King