Author Topic: Y-Wing with Normal Maps  (Read 29589 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Y-Wing with Normal Maps
I don't think it matters how hard it is, because he already plans on doing it regardless.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Well, if you put a box around it, the insides aren't visible, and so, aren't rendered, right?  Or no?  How about just make the insides an invisible subsystem thingy?  IDK.  :lol:  noob>jr2<noob

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I'll be doing the smaller armoured version, not that big bubble one, that's just rediculous
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
New render, now with a cockpit!

You asked for it, now you've got it.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Oooh. She's purdy :)
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
 :jaw:

One thing, you can see the polies on the ends of the engine pods, maybe make a few more subdivisions.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, if you put a box around it, the insides aren't visible, and so, aren't rendered, right?  Or no?  How about just make the insides an invisible subsystem thingy?  IDK.  :lol:  noob>jr2<noob

I've got a better idea. Make the external panels destroyable subsystems (one panel per subsystem) and call it explosive reactive armour. Then you could actually justify it, in addition to the normal armour of an Y-Wing (which is formidable without any fancy additional panels as it is).

Then find some way to prevent all those destroyed subsystems from showing on the damage report on HUD.

...yeah I know it would be a heck of a job to do. But man would it be sweet...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the panels were removed for maintenance access. They're not armor.

But man oh man, that looks sweet. :yes: Keep it up!

Though that looks suspiciously like a Terran cockpit...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
One thing, you can see the polies on the ends of the engine pods, maybe make a few more subdivisions.

This thing's quite the poly monster already, and remember that when it's zipping around you'll be spending more time trying to kill it than staring at the polies.  I did have to make sacrifices to get that detail in there and I decided that the greebles would draw more attention than the outline of it and used my spare polies for that instead.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the panels were removed for maintenance access. They're not armor.

But man oh man, that looks sweet. :yes: Keep it up!

Though that looks suspiciously like a Terran cockpit...
Which Terran cockpit?  I made that one from scratch

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It looks a lot like a Freespace-standard green HUD and a red flightsuit in there. But it could just be the angle.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
I dunno about how you can tell what the HUD looks like from that angle, but as for the flightsuit, it's actually just a standard MAX Biped with orange and white coloured to look like a rebel pilot.  Haven't done a pilot mesh yet.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

I have to nitpick on that a bit.  Yes, they were removed for maintenance access, but it does seem like any panels that were originally in place should be armored panels, as they formed the original exterior of the hull.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Shade

See, now THAT's what a Y-wing is supposed to look like :yes: Amazing work :)

One very tiny nitpick that I just noticed, though: The texture on the cockpit roof doesn't show the seams where the cockpit opens up to allow the pilot access, effectively leaving the pilot sealed in (or out) until someone gets a welding torch.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
good call, had forgot about those.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Here we go, got those cockpit panels in now, and a bit more weathering around the panel lines.  I think I'm gonna call it quits with this one, otherwise I'll end up with a big smudge of dirt hehe.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 03:46:56 pm by brandx0 »

Offline Shade

It's perfect :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
You get Galemp's sig quote. "You're a god amongst men".
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Y-Wing. Possibly the most awesomest fighter/bomber to ever exist.

:yes:
Exactly.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Why thank you very much.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm... /wonders if the Y-Wing has ever had a problem with the turrets on the top of the cockpit discharging at a most inopportune time.  ;7