Author Topic: Carrack class light cruiser  (Read 53949 times)

Re: Carrack class light cruiser
Paint looks great for a Clone Wars era vessel, but I agree, it would be ditched afterwards.

When looking at the visual style for Star Wars, especially colours, it's important to note that all scenes in all the movies were filmed with a blue filter over the lense, moreso in the space scenes of ESB and RotJ.  This style is something I've personally incorporated into my models
I hated how they did that. I guess it's fine for light sources that would emit or reflect blue light, but not for everything.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What?  They filtered out the blue light, not added it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I like the choices you made for what places should have the different color, but I think a darker gray might make the ship a bit more impressive than that blue.  The blue is sort of...gentle looking.  The imperial symbols are sweet.  :yes:

Impressive indeed, though I must agree that the blue colors takes away from military war machine; it looks more like a local patrol ship. Give gray a shot, it would look intimidating and a lot more Imperial. As for the Symbol you could make it black. (IMO)
Awesome modeling though, you've really outdone yourself. Cant wait to shoot that obsolete piece of junk down!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Wasn't it generally a local patrol ship?  It was sent to areas that didn't warrant a full blown Star Destroyer I thought, at least initially.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Carracks are designed for quick and surgical strikes, they are almost as fast as X-wings thus making it an excellent ship.

"The Carrack-class was made as a cheap replacement for expensive capital ships and was not designed to operate as ships of the line, despite being capable of trading fire with larger adversaries... Over time, the increasing size and firepower of Star Destroyers made them more vulnerable in the heat of combat, but their speed and firepower continued to make them useful."
- Wookiepedia excerpt.

Pretty much sums it up.

If you don't like blue, how about Republic Red instead?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
What about releasing it as gray and let fans create their own reskins?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
If you don't like blue, how about Republic Red instead?

Red was for government and diplomatic ships in the Old Republic IIRC
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hey bobbtman, think this is close to being a placeholder?  We could really use something like that in game soon.  It seems the primary mesh is done, and would just need some turreting of some sort?

Yup. I'm making the turrets now. If you want a place holder, right now I can get you a Carrack with the ion turrets, glow map, and diffuse map. No damaged parts, subobjects, debris, LOD's, turbolasers, normal maps. I'm having a bit of struggle rigging it, so I'm no sure when it will all be done.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'd say finish turreting and then maybe we could try conversion.  It's not as useful of a placeholder without a turret setup.  Most everything else is just visual fx.  Is that something you're interested in tackling yourself?

Sure. I'll let you know next week how the conversion is going and whether or not I'd like some help.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
jacek is having good luck lately with the Max and Collada conversion process, but he's a bit busy with uni stuff right now.  When he's done you can probably work with him to get it converted.  Having more than one conversion-capable modeler here would be amazing.

Well, I can't seem to convert this thing at all. When I do, it's all inside out and the texture is wrong and the center is in the wrong place and the turrets don't work. It used to work fine, so I don't know why it's not working any more. Someday I'll have to learn how to convert these things using collada so that I can finally finish that organic corvette I've got sitting on my hard drive.

Anyways, I have an unfinished (no LOD's or debris, and the texture is a work in progress) Carrack Class Cruiser that can be used as a trial. All it needs is to be rigged and converted.

Any takers?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
jacek hasn't done any capital ships yet, especially anything with turrets, but this might be a good ship for him to experiment on.  If you get me the data I can put it on the ftp so he can take a look at it.

Okay, then. Where do I send it?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You got it to the right place :)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I didn't get the most recent renders saved before the admin ated them, can I get some reposted for the website?

Sure.

[attachment deleted by MSC