Author Topic: Carrack class light cruiser  (Read 53946 times)

Re: Carrack class light cruiser
Here's a shot with some light in it. The second image has the UV map template as the material.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Those rounded bulbs on the side and comm dish still need less sides if you ask me.  Otherwise looking great though.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What a difference render settings can make.  I agree though, if the side count on those rounded surfaces could be reduced it would be great, especially later on with the unwrapping I'm sure.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Nice, now you can build a Flurry for it to "make go boom"
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I thought there already was a model of the Flurry on this site.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
That's a distinct possibility I must admit I was going by the Ship Database on the website, I haven't combed the forum.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It was started, I don't know if we have a model of it though.  It's not in the shiplist here on the forums so unless someone finishes it, consider it open.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Hmmm. Well, I think I'll let someone else do the Flurry then.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Lookin' sharp, but you still never answered about your references for those engines.

I have a favor to ask.  I appreciate 90% of the Carrack's aesthetics, but I absolutely loathe its unbelievably enormous window.  I can't remember its exact dimensions when I read about them, but they were absolutely absurd, especially for a ship that's going to encounter battle.  A couple of years ago I read up some "official" explanation of this miracle windshield's super durable makeup, and you know what?  I didn't buy the ridiculous technobabble at all. 

Not too long ago, a member of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade team released two versions of the Carrack, one with the miracle windshield, and one without.  Guess which one looks a lot better and far more plausible?  Here's a link to Berruga's incredible work (click image to get a larger pic to scrutinize): http://www.darksaber.gaylenol.com/crafthostberruga.html

Fingers crossed that an alternate version similar to Berruga's can be supplied to us who can't suspend their disbelief enough to accept the miracle windshield. 

In spite of my grumblings, keep up the solid work!

Yours,
Kyle
 :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Gotta agree, that windscreen does look ridiculous for a ship that size, looks more like sightseeing ship than a combat vessel, but, as has already been said, that's the fault of the original designers, so I'm not complaining about the model itself :)

Flipside,

I too feel as you do.  I'm certainly not blaming bobbtmann for the ship's design, as he's following the extended universe's canon.  It looks quite accurate to me, and for that I commend him.

I often times feel that when I look at the ship designs early in Star Wars' pre-prequel "resurgence" that game/toy makers simply bought the Star Wars license, and then charged some lowly paid designers to knock out starship and character designs for them, without them being given much direction.  Another example that I can think of is how the first waves of new Star Wars figures were released with bulging muscles and over sized weaponry, man, the first two years' worth of new figures sucked BAD.  The enormous scale of the Carrack's miracle windshield especially makes me think of this "little thought applied to the design" scenario.  It looks like a ship that was intended to carry a much smaller package than what it does now, but in the development process nobody asked the artist what his/her intentions were before slapping some data to it.

However its look evolved, one of the great things mod makers can do is make things look better and more plausible, thus my request for an alternate version to be released along with the E.U. canonical one.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 09:01:24 am by Kyle_K_ski »

Lookin' sharp, but you still never answered about your references for those engines.

My apologies. I was actually looking at the the image off of Wikipedia when I started and came up with this solution for the model. I planned to have the individual nacelles expressed with the texture, since you wouldn't really be able to see much through the engine glow.

As for the mega window, I agree with Kyle. I didn't like the size of the front window when I first looked at it, though I do find that it grows on me. The way I see it now is that the bridge on all the big imperial ships have pretty much the same layout. For instance: the bridge on an ISD and an SSD are practically the same layout and size, despite the SSD being a lot bigger. Unfortunately, when you stick an ISD's bridge on a small cruiser, it looks wierd. Sometimes bureaucracy can come up with some solutions that seem great on paper but don't work so well in practice.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I really like that one on Darksaber's page.  Never noticed it before though.  The window definitely makes more sense that size, even when I first looked at it, I was thinking, this thing is how big?  And the window must be how many decks high?

I'd almost suggest just using the small window instead.  I don't normally recommend breaking canon, but this ship's design isn't terribly set in stone I don't think.  People would still recognize it if it changed too.

bobbt, that makes sense then about the engines.  But the bridge thing, the Carrack wasn't made by the same company as all those star destroyers so I don't think it would match up quite the same.  Look at the Nebulon, it's pretty different, etc.

Offline maje

I would actually go with having the large window broken into a row of windows, per deck.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
If you actually decide to replace the giant green house window, i might suggest utilizing the Lancer Frigate as a reference?  It might not translate quite as well on the bow shape of a Carrack but  I always thought the look of the Lancer's square slit view ports was much more effective then the Carrack's big one.

I think that maje's idea of replacing the miracle windshield with a series of windows setup to depict multiple decks is also a sound solution.  I don't think that there has to be any one approach to solving this one glaring design dilemma of the Carrack's.  We could go with a solution similar to the one found at Darksaber's site, as sometimes simpler is better.

There could be an arrangement of windows set close to each other on multiple decks in a cluster, and one of those windows was especially wide or shaped a little differently to denote that this one portion is "the" command center.  Perhaps take a little bit of inspiration from how the multiple eyes on a spider's head are arranged, and give the Carrack's forward area just a tiny hint of an almost organic menace...  Who knows, it might work, it might not.  But I'm happy to see that there's a strong consensus that its one miracle windshield is an eyesore. 

At least I know that I'm not alone!   ;)   

@LampArtPro
Would you like to make some Cutscenes for us?

Something Like:

Imperial Troops taking over a Planet (like that from X-Wing in Tour of Duty 1)
Vader is killing a Traitor (TIE Fighter, Harkovs Dead)
And so on?

Yes, I suppose it can be done. It'll be with JK3 Graphics however.

What I'd like to do, in regards to the Carrack Class Light Cruiser. Is use it for my machinima series, in which a crew of four pilot the ship, going planet to planet in a Farscape styled adventure. The way I would use the model is take photos of the finished thing from many many angels, and animate them using Adobe Aftereffects. To make it look like the ship is actually flying in space. For any personal questions you may contact me at [email protected]

Offline Revan

• Sith Master
Revan: Who is this us you speak of?
The FotG-Team. The "Idea-Guys" and Fredders that are waiting for the first Release.

I don't remember asking for any cutscenes for FotG at least.
If the possibility comes up, why not?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, we can probably manage making our cutscenes with in game models, save for a few situations.  But I don't recall you being any of those yet either.  Honestly, we appreciate our fans very much, especially when it seems like we're not up to much and you still stick around, but even if you contribute to the project, 'we' is still people who are on the main staff.  It's not bad to get a little excited, just try not to step on the toes of those who have been working on this for a while eh?  Thanks Revan.

LAP, once any of our material has been released, I don't think any of our contributors or staff will object to its use in other volunteer works, assuming credit is given where it's due.  But currently, I'm leaving those decisions up to each person who created the content in question, so with this it would be up to bobbtman and anyone else who puts any significant work into the model.