Author Topic: Carrack class light cruiser  (Read 53949 times)

Re: Carrack class light cruiser
The stripe is definitely not a functional coating. It's definitely the imperial equivalent of Harper's sweater vest.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Moff NASCAR's personal cruiser.  The campaign practically writes itself!

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Moff NASCAR's personal cruiser.  The campaign practically writes itself!

sounds like a perfect assignment for Wraith Squadron
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

'Your first task will be to capture a wing of heavily damaged ties. Now, QUCIK! destroy the carrack from the center of that fleet! Try to be detected at all costs!'

I know it's not like that, and Aaron Alliston is a good author, but i liked the stackpole books better.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
When i want to laugh my ass of i read Alliston, when i want a more "serious" rendition i'll pull out the Stackpole.  Both are good in their own way.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Well, here's an update. Just some modifications to the model; the blue stripe might still come back...

p.s. Don't worry brandx0: the round thing at the back is just in it's own smooth group.

[attachment stolen by Slimey Goober]

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Episode I: The Phallic Menace

Seriously though, that is looking really good.  I especially like the detail on the underside.  Great work!

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
That`s starting to look real nice
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That`s starting to look real nice

I concur.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Narvi

You managed to make one of the uglier EU ships look very nice.

Alright then, the map sized will be reduced and polygone count will be increased. I'll be increasing the polygone count mostly by tacking little things onto the hull to break up large areas. I have noticed, however, that where two objects connect it gets very jagged and when two parellel planes are fairly close to each other there's this shimmering effect when my fighter moves out. Is this a problem with the model, or with my computer? I've noticed the shimmering effect on the high resolution Deimos when I am at a distance, as well.

Please note: Though the purple paint job looks cool, it's actually imperial blue. Oh well.
I don't care for the paintjob, but as long as there is a "no markings" flight group color, I don't see why people wouldn't be accepting of it. If say for instance someone wanted to do a Clone Wars era campaign, they could just use the other color scheme or perhaps other groups that come into possession of these vessels wouldn't bother to repaint them, though I don't recall Freespace supporting flight group colors.

Some might not be happy with the "windshield" design, but I can respect a modeler's choice of something like that, even though I prefer the other look myself. Great job on the ship so far though. ^_^b

Though I think the miracle windshield looks better than the alternative by a long shot, I'm having a hard time rationalizing a 19 metre tall windshield.

Okay, a small update. I reduced the windshield a bit, and the nose is slimmer to keep the windshield from looking too stretched. The overall effect is tall and narrow in the front and wide and squat in the back.

[attachment stolen by Slimey Goober]

Offline peterv

Lovely  :yes:
IMO it needs more smoothing on the nose.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
 :yes: on the subdued bridge window.  Overall its coming along very nicely.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Lovely  :yes:
IMO it needs more smoothing on the nose.

I think I'll keep arranging the faces around. I'm going for angular, but if the ploygons aren't planar it just looks poorly smoothed. I'll keep trying to find a solution for it.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Imperial Gray is definitely standard-issue for the Carrack. However in cases where a ship is used in both Rebel and Imperial fleets (as well as potentially private interests, like pirates or local security forces) reskins are a must. A texture with a patchy rust-colored stripe just like the purple one you have there would be the perfect designator for an Alliance Carrack, with perhaps blue, gold and green for other forces.

"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Very nice. I love the Carrack, always have.

A bridge on the lower decks seems a little out of place, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, definitely better than the huge windshield, good job.

A bridge on the lower decks seems a little out of place, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, definitely better than the huge windshield, good job.

I would imagine that it isn't all that hard to suspend disbelief in this case. I'm not a navy man, but I would imagine that putting the bridge high up on a ship gives the captain a better view, and allows him to see over the horizon a bit more. In space I doubt that would be an issue.