Author Topic: Mysterious Transport  (Read 17144 times)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I'm pretty pumped for this ship.  Are you planning on doing the standard cargo containers as well?  I think we might have had a version of those in progress with a BFF-1 freighter that had its mesh done but was left untextured.  I'm just excited to see how it looks fully loaded down... :yes:

Well, I did make a class A cargo container. I used it to measure the length of the pylon on the back of the ship. It's untextured.

There were a bunch of standard containers in some sort of old Star Wars game. Wookiepedia had a list of them, and they seemed pretty silly. I guess the different shapes of the cargo containers was a gameplay mechanic. It would allow the player to know what's in the pod, even if the shapes were arbitrary.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Did we mention a name for this yet?  Brand suggested YG-3200 on IRC if it's an older Corellian design.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's lacking the trademark doughnut / burger that's central to all yt craft. Maybe something referencing the dual nature of the front?

TW1-n or gem-1n, Rem-Rom transport.
The final word is Brands of course.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
It's lacking the trademark doughnut / burger that's central to all yt craft. Maybe something referencing the dual nature of the front?

Maybe that's why it's YG, not YT.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
That was what I was getting at, but I thought it probably not worth the post.  Oh well, maybe it was.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

This isn't Star Wars related, but it is sort of pertaining to the transport model. The laptop I was making it on doesn't want to start up. It gets to the windows start up screen, then the screen turns blue and I get this message asking me how I would like to start Windows. Normal and "Last working mode..." doesn't work, and Safe mode gets stuck on agpCPQ.sys. Acer never included a Windows XP disc with the system.

I've looked up online, and the only possible thing I've found is to start up with a boot disc, from http://www.allbootdisks.com/ . Does this sound safe? Or even like it'll work?

This all happened after the last Microsoft update (though safemode has been broken for a while now).

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
If you don't have a good backup do nothing until you can get one.  The drive is apparently still working so the data should be there.

Second check Microsoft's site for instructions on how to uninstall the last update if you can't boot after.  They may have a way to do it listed if others have had the issue as well.     

But yea there are a couple of boot utilities out there.  Can't speak for that one in particular since I usually just make my own. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Further to FUBAR's advice: make a backup before risking lethal drive damage. The last thing this project needs is more lost models. (Brand, I'm looking at you. I'm looking at you and hoping you're backing up everything.) One way to try backing up is to get your hands on a bootable CD - most gui-based linux distros have them available as the standard installer now.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Some drives on manufacturer PCs come with recovery partitions, that can even go so far as to back up your current data to a folder on the reset partition.  Might look into something like that, but you'd have to have a lot of free space (at least what the hard drive had used when you first got it, plus overhead).
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Ubuntu linux is by far the easiest setup i've ever done.

Win apps won't work obviously but it should allow you to backup to memory stick.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I actually made a bootable flash drive from the Ubuntu ISO, but you'd still need another writable flash drive or external drive to back up the data.  But that would probably be a good solution, get into Ubuntu LiveCD environment, it will probably auto mount your NTFS partitions or you could do it by hand, and then copy the critical data to a flash drive/external.

Thanks guys! I had a meeting with a Computing Sciences professor yesterday, and while I was there I asked him the about my laptop. He said pretty much the same thing, suggested a linux boot cd or something along those lines.

As for the mystery transport, its safe. My laptop has two hard drives, and the transport was on the one that didn't have Windows. Its all my other data that I'm worried about.

So I'll give the linux thing a try.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I guess the FotG curse got the wrong drive then.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Thanks guys! I had a meeting with a Computing Sciences professor yesterday, and while I was there I asked him the about my laptop. He said pretty much the same thing, suggested a linux boot cd or something along those lines.

As for the mystery transport, its safe. My laptop has two hard drives, and the transport was on the one that didn't have Windows. Its all my other data that I'm worried about.

So I'll give the linux thing a try.

If that's the case, and your data's safe, you have a few other options:

A) Try to get ahold of the Acer restore CDs.  If your laptop didn't come with them, you should've been prompted to make your own when you first booted it up - if you didn't, it's your own fault, but you should still be able to contact Acer and get them to send some to you (for a price).  Use that to get your Windows back up and running.

2) Use a regular Windows installation CD (usually Retail).  You can attempt to do a repair install (which should keep all your programs and settings) or just wipe and make a fresh install (which would require you to reinstall all your programs).  If you wipe anything though, make sure you're looking at the right drive.  Actually, make another backup somewhere outside of the laptop first anyways, just to be safe.

D) Forget Windows entirely and use Linux.  As has been said, Ubuntu's a very nice, fully featured, and easy to use operating system.  Wipe your Windows drive, install Ubuntu on it instead, and if there's any Windows programs that you still can't live without, install WINE and you should still be good.

Either way, good luck getting everything back up and running!  I look forward to seeing more modeling progress from you!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
This is specific to my netbook, but my wifi card isn't supported by ubuntu and I therefore don't have access to that software library thing.
 Might be worth a google to see how compatibale it is beforehand.  

That aside openoffice is included in the install. Which although it's free anyway, was still a nice surprise.

Worst case you can just uninstall it.

So you guys decided on a name yet?

FTR, i'm not as hardcore at knowing the entire correlian model designation format. So scuse the YT misunderstanding. :p
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Most laptop manufactures no longer include the OS discs.  You have to order them from the company.  I called Toshiba and get them sent to me for the cost of shipping for my wife's laptop.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Most laptop manufactures no longer include the OS discs.  You have to order them from the company.  I called Toshiba and get them sent to me for the cost of shipping for my wife's laptop.

Like I said, when you first get the laptop it prompts you to create your own restore disks - I believe all manufacturers do this now, and have been doing it for years.  If you didn't make them, you can pay to get the manufacturer ship replacements to you.