Author Topic: Voice acting  (Read 13048 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Bah', you disappoint me guys, I was actually expecting another fight from you two. :p Just kidding.
Why?  I only argue with Battuta when he's wrong. :p

Oh, wait, you are NOT talking about me...? Oh...
Hmm, are you volunteering to join TVWP? ;)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I disagree, actually... the deciding factor should be a campaign's quality, not its size.  ST:R, BP:AoA, and Derelict are all quality campaigns that deserve their voice-acting; and they range in size from 18 missions to over 50.  On the other hand, Second Great War Part II has more missions than any of them, and nobody is arguing that it should be voice-acted based on its length.

By "magnitude", I meant potential for quality. You know with it being a very unique campaign story idea and what not. I realize my other post wasn't very clear, but yeah, I didn't mean to be talking about size.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Fair enough. :)  We did spend a lot of time on TVWP's story, but we weren't able to execute the campaign to the level the story demanded...

...for Chapter 1 anyway.  Hopefully some new blood might be able to change things for Chapter 2. ;)

Very large post ahead:

Bah', you disappoint me guys, I was actually expecting another fight from you two. :p Just kidding.
Why?  I only argue with Battuta when he's wrong. :p

Ha ha! It's just that it so looked like Battuta was spoiling for a fight with you. :lol:

Oh, wait, you are NOT talking about me...? Oh...
Hmm, are you volunteering to join TVWP? ;)

Hmmm... Are you offering me an assignment in the team? ;)
I'm currently learning modelling and fredding. When I feel ready I'll surely post something for the community to download and review in the proper forum. So no, I'm not ready yet, but I'll surely be there to help as soon as I can.

Here are some models I've been working on to practice:

Heavy fighter/Interceptor (own concept, think Terran Seth fighter):

Strike bomber (own concept, think Zeus):

Interceptor (not modelled yet, shamelessly copied inspired on the hull of the FMA IA 63 Pampa/AT-63 Pampa II):

Apollo bomber (based on this early concept of the Apollo from Volition):

Now, they all need some work yet, they are all in separate geometries, and I feel like redoing some of those models from scratch. But that's where I'm at so far.

-------------------------

Fair enough. :)  We did spend a lot of time on TVWP's story, but we weren't able to execute the campaign to the level the story demanded...

...for Chapter 1 anyway.  Hopefully some new blood might be able to change things for Chapter 2. ;)

Well, there are a lot of glitches and bugs, which is inexcusable considering the time it took, but I don't understand why everybody feels things like primitive sensors, limited ammo and the flight model ruined the mod. Those are actually the things that set this mod apart from other mods, and give it that early space wars feeling that it's supposed to have. It also helps balancing, because it finally means Alpha 1 can't do everything by himself.
I see things to be fixed, but nothing to be regretful or ashamed of so far. This is an excellent mod.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Apollo bomber looks good.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Shots from more angles please.

Also whens the full Act2 out then :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Gah, i thought it were a demo.......
The TVWP team has released a new demo of Chapter 1, including 9 new missions that are from Act II!

Your wordings confuse me Administrato-bots :rolleyes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Very large post ahead:

Ha ha! It's just that it so looked like Battuta was spoiling for a fight with you. :lol:

Actually my opinions are based off civil discussion with Goob, so in a sense I was supporting him (pre-emptively.)

Well, there are a lot of glitches and bugs, which is inexcusable considering the time it took, but I don't understand why everybody feels things like primitive sensors, limited ammo and the flight model ruined the mod. Those are actually the things that set this mod apart from other mods, and give it that early space wars feeling that it's supposed to have. It also helps balancing, because it finally means Alpha 1 can't do everything by himself.
I see things to be fixed, but nothing to be regretful or ashamed of so far. This is an excellent mod.

Nobody has said that things like primitive sensors, limited ammo, or the flight model ruined the mod.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:12:12 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I see another problem with TVWP voicing: $Callsign tags.
They would have to go from everywhere but non-voiced parts (like assignment lists) in case of VA being made.

So you didn't liked the Interceptor and the Heavy fighter. :( Those are actually my favourite ones.

Anyway, here's a video showing the details from many angles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uxjmBzVaSk

So far, only the cockpit and the front part have been merged into a single object.

I'm particularly nervous at this joint:

That's perhaps the worst part of the mesh.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
So you didn't liked the Interceptor and the Heavy fighter. :( Those are actually my favourite ones.
Don't jump to conclusions. :)  I intend to comment more thoroughly later.

Very large post ahead:

Actually my opinions are based off civil discussion with Goob, so in a sense I was supporting him (pre-emptively.)
Pst! Don't take me too seriously. :p I'm a Cordovan, I'm joking 90% of the time. And when I'm not joking, trust me, it's quite apparent.

Nobody has said that things like primitive sensors, limited ammo, or the flight model ruined the mod.
You didn't. I've read some complains about that (particularly the sensors).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
My specific complaint about the primitive sensors thing is that it doesn't make sense. Why would space fighters have combat avionics on par with your average Spitfire? Lead-computing gunsights have been around since the Korean War (or earlier), why did the builders of highly advanced spce combat craft suddenly forget how to make them? Second, sensor detection in space is ridiculously easy when using infrared, making stealth against passive sensors close to impossible (unless you're hiding in front of something that is significantly hotter than you, the Sun, for example). So, why is it that I don't have the basic avionics nearly every plane flying in today's skies has by default? It's just a huge, and I mean gargantuan, immersion breaker for me, as my suspension of disbelief just doesn't go that far. TVTropes calls this an Interface Screw, which in this case leads directly to Fake Difficulty.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Yes, especially that mission where we're forced to pilot Shrikes, which despite the LR being one of the wealthiest nations in Sol can't equip their fighters with decent targeting systems.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm currently learning modelling and fredding. When I feel ready I'll surely post something for the community to download and review in the proper forum. So no, I'm not ready yet, but I'll surely be there to help as soon as I can.
Excellent. :yes:

Thanks. :)

Gah, i thought it were a demo.......
The TVWP team has released a new demo of Chapter 1, including 9 new missions that are from Act II!

Your wordings confuse me Administrato-bots :rolleyes:
It is a demo.  It's the second demo we've released. :p  The full release of Chapter 1 will include all three acts.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I see another problem with TVWP voicing: $Callsign tags.
They would have to go from everywhere but non-voiced parts (like assignment lists) in case of VA being made.
Only in the case of the player.  But yes, you're right.  We'd have to call the player by his wing assignment.  Fortunately, I don't think there are too many places where the player is addressed directly.

No, I like them. :)  They definitely look interesting, as opposed to a bunch of booleaned shapes stuck together.  They show promise, but they're probably not ready to be included in any mods yet.  Good practice though.

My specific complaint about the primitive sensors thing is that it doesn't make sense. Why would space fighters have combat avionics on par with your average Spitfire? Lead-computing gunsights have been around since the Korean War (or earlier), why did the builders of highly advanced spce combat craft suddenly forget how to make them? Second, sensor detection in space is ridiculously easy when using infrared, making stealth against passive sensors close to impossible (unless you're hiding in front of something that is significantly hotter than you, the Sun, for example). So, why is it that I don't have the basic avionics nearly every plane flying in today's skies has by default? It's just a huge, and I mean gargantuan, immersion breaker for me, as my suspension of disbelief just doesn't go that far. TVTropes calls this an Interface Screw, which in this case leads directly to Fake Difficulty.
These are perfectly legitimate criticisms.  I can only resspond by saying our motivation was not to create Fake Difficulty, which is a pet peeve of mine as well.  In fact, we tried to stay aware of this while balancing missions.

Instead, our motivation was to extrapolate the history of tech advancement.  In the Great War, you acquired shields and intersystem subspace drives.  In the middle of the Terran-Vasudan War, you acquire fighter-mountable subspace drives (this is our in-universe reason for why the GTEP Hermes suddenly became practical).  What is a plausible tech advancement for the Unification War?  Well, there's not much you can take away from a ship that has no subspace drives and no shields.  We decided that targeting sensors would be a good candiate.  (You could argue the same for energy weapons, but we wanted to introduce those in Chapter 2.)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think that in your place I'd have tried to go for the more primitive atmospherics using techniques like Woolie's Wings mod, or even Beyond the Red Line.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Perhaps, but that wasn't possible when this mod was being made.  (We had about 2/3 of the missions FREDded by 2006.)