Author Topic: New theme issues  (Read 245898 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

Integrated text. :drevil:

I love the expand/collapse function, but if I may nitpick a little, nobody waits for one full second to see the thing light up. Even the Programs list on the Start Menu doesn't take that long to expand (it expands after 0.4s of mouseover by default if I remember correctly). A side effect is that the highlight of the post options (i.e. Quote, Kick ass, Report to moderator, IP address) is also slaved to the TAG System this one second delay, although you can still click on them before they light/show up.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:58:46 pm by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The delay is intentional, and is at 0.7 seconds I believe. This is so it doesn't interfere with mousewheel scrolling (including the pause in scrolling while repositioning the scrolling finger). Having elements pop in and out was too jarring and annoying while scrolling down pages. The Start button can get away with a shorter delay because nobody is trying to scroll over the Programs list. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Oh, okay. I keep forgetting that most people aren't interested in other people's signatures that much.

Now the signatures don't show up properly on individual member profiles. Everything below the first few pixels is clipped.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Are the signatures going to be changed/fixed much, or are you just leaving it for us to deal with get used to? :p

I'd really really really like to have the text not forced so far below top edge. The designer in me is just on edge every time I look at people's sigs around here. There's so much wasted space! Ok, I must stop, my designer skin is crawling.  :nervous:

Basically, if the sigs must stay with the expandy-box, then I'll deal as long as the text can be placed at a normal distance from the top edge. Get 3 lines of text in there without being cutoff and I'll stop being a silly whiner about the rest.

EDIT: OK, that's just annoying. The sig centers itself in the expanded box even when not expanded. So it doesn't matter what size I set the font to, it will never let me adjust my sig so that it looks nice not-expanded.  :(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:12:53 am by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Speaking of signature nitpicks, here's another one.

You might want to increase the default size of the signature editing window but restrict the user's ability to scale the size of it.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
I don't about other browsers but chrome will let you resize text area regardless of what the html says.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Are the signatures going to be changed/fixed much, or are you just leaving it for us to deal with get used to? :p

I'm waiting until you get used to it before making more changes. :D j/k

I'd really really really like to have the text not forced so far below top edge. The designer in me is just on edge every time I look at people's sigs around here. There's so much wasted space! Ok, I must stop, my designer skin is crawling.  :nervous:

The designer in you has issues with whitepsace? :wtf:

Basically, if the sigs must stay with the expandy-box, then I'll deal as long as the text can be placed at a normal distance from the top edge. Get 3 lines of text in there without being cutoff and I'll stop being a silly whiner about the rest.

Working on this. Beware of changes. ;)

EDIT: OK, that's just annoying. The sig centers itself in the expanded box even when not expanded. So it doesn't matter what size I set the font to, it will never let me adjust my sig so that it looks nice not-expanded.  :(

Eh? The text isn't centered... wait, I think this is a terminology issue. Text centering is left-right. I suspect you're referring to the vertical positioning? Assuming so, there's something about HTML you should know. Block elements (in this case, the sig box) by default take up 100% of the horizontal space available to them (100% width of their container), and expand vertically to fit 100% of their content. The sig box has added padding around the inside boundaries, which is the whitespace you were disliking.

What I'm going to evaluate is to reduce the top padding of collapsed sig boxes to a minimum, and restore it to the current amount when the sig box is expanded. Be forewarned: this will make the sig "jump" when expanding it.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, I've made the changes, and I'm perfectly fine with the result. Thoughts?

Also, what do people think about the positioning of the "v   Expand  v" link/bar? As it is currently, to expand and then collapse, you have to move the cursor. Would it be better to have the bar at the top of the sig instead? The only issue I see with that would be that it might mess with the visual indication that the sigs are truncated...

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam

Could this be fixed or is it just chrome being chrome? It happens at 75% page size.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Really, the highlights section is just really touchy. I've seen it go back and forth from that to the straight row in chrome depending on what's posted up there. Honestly, if the rules for that line could just be a bit more lax.. that would probably fix it.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I want to completely redo the highlights so bad. Who creates the graphics for them, and how difficult would it be to increase the size to something more like 800x480 or so? I'm not asking to do that yet, just asking if it's feasible.

The reason being that I want to stop (mis)using the forums for the Highlights, and start using the website to do something like this: (WIP Site warning) http://www.hard-light.net/main

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You've had the new main page in development for something like four years.  (And this version actually seems like a step backward from the previous one.)  When are you going to finish it? :p

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Ok, I've made the changes, and I'm perfectly fine with the result. Thoughts?

Also, what do people think about the positioning of the "v   Expand  v" link/bar? As it is currently, to expand and then collapse, you have to move the cursor. Would it be better to have the bar at the top of the sig instead? The only issue I see with that would be that it might mess with the visual indication that the sigs are truncated...

*F12s and applies EXTREME Refresh to the forehead*

It's good, and I couldn't have done it better myself (if I knew web design). I have no issues with the current placement of the expansion bar, but a movement of the bar to the top of the sig shouldn't take too long to get used to. On the other hand, having it at the bottom of the sig makes it look more "natural" (in the "click the part that moves" sense).

You've had the new main page in development for something like four years.  (And this version actually seems like a step backward from the previous one.)  When are you going to finish it? :p

Hey, at least it's in active development.

...Right? :nervous:
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Could have sworn it has been more than four by far.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Probably more than 4, but I have to say in my defense that A) I'm a father of 3, B) I have two jobs, C) I'm a perfectionist, so I tend to take far too long to do things, and finally D) the admins haven't been as involved as I would have liked in adding content to the backend... :nervous:

However, AFAIK this is the first time I've posted the new mainpage outside the Admin forum. I'm hopeful that the wider audience will be more involved in posting content, which will motivate me to figure out how that content should show up on the frontpage. All y'all that registered for the EE Wiki - the frontpage's backend uses the same login. I'll give the more responsible among you - the Project Heads, Moderators & Global Moderators - access to the backend by request (post here and let me know you've registered and want access). If nothing else, the highlight system has got to be moved from being the forum-based hack solution it is now to a proper CMS-based one.

(And this version actually seems like a step backward from the previous one.)

The previous mainpage was more intricate and developed visually, but it was also based on the now-outdated EE1. I'm in the process of recreating it in EE2 to an extent, but have been impeded by overly-restrictive security measures that were implemented after the hacking incidents of the past year.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Using current Chrome, yt tags seem to be broken, as in, all I get is [yt]blabla[/yt]
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Same here on Firefox.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I'm getting the same thing on both Dragon, which is Chromium-based, and IE10.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Using current Chrome, yt tags seem to be broken, as in, all I get is [yt]blabla[/yt]

A quick test reveals that the "time=000" operator broke the vanilla tags.

Code: [Select]
[yt time=000]blablabla[/yt] works for now, until it gets fixed.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Should all be fixed.

Details
When I added the time parameter to the code for the [yt] tag, I didn't realize that I needed to have an alternate version of the code for the [yt] tag with no parameter. O.o