Author Topic: New theme issues  (Read 242694 times)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I felt like I've asked this before, but I want to ask again since a lot has changed.

Is it possible to make a dedicated mobile page instead of a one-size-fits-all? That way, the desktop version doesn't have to suffer when trying to accommodate for tablets and phones. Instead of one suboptimal page, we can have two more optimal ones. Is that something we can do?

I was reminded of this again when I went to this forum and saw how clean it was on my tablet: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/

Can we do something similar?

edit: Just to clarify, I love how it looks on desktop at the moment. I just don't want it changed for the worst. I still think mobile could be tweaked a lot more.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
:) doesn't appear to be rendering correctly as a smiley in this post. Am I the only one getting this?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Can we get rid of the google ads if it isnt even working? That white box in mobile looks stupid.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Is it possible to make a dedicated mobile page instead of a one-size-fits-all? That way, the desktop version doesn't have to suffer when trying to accommodate for tablets and phones. Instead of one suboptimal page, we can have two more optimal ones. Is that something we can do?

I was reminded of this again when I went to this forum and saw how clean it was on my tablet: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/

Can we do something similar?

edit: Just to clarify, I love how it looks on desktop at the moment. I just don't want it changed for the worst. I still think mobile could be tweaked a lot more.

Unfortunately, dedicated mobile isn't really an option to my knowledge. The best you can get is the scary WAP pages. :scared:

Please realize that I haven't done much optimizing of the forums for mobile at all... mainly just made the width fluid and post sidebars stack to vertically below a certain size... stuff like that. I have a lot of ideas on the wishlist, and not anywhere near enough time ATM.

Can we get rid of the google ads if it isnt even working? That white box in mobile looks stupid.

White box?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
There is a white box in where ads should be. But since the account hasn't worked in ages, there is a white box in its place. Mobile browser doesn't have adblock, so it is slightly annoying.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The [yt] tag apparently breaks automatic smileys. This post is getting the same issue as the post I linked to above.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
That's a odd thing with the YT tags... I'll try to look into that this week.

As for ads, I'm simply not seeing a white box in my Android phone, but I do know what you're talking about, Fury. I'm trying to get a clear picture of what the deal is with them before I just remove it though. Please bear with it some more... and remind me in a week if you haven't heard anything. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Encountered a bug. Every time a poll is edited by whoever created it and is not a moderator, edit resets some of the poll's settings to default. I searched SMF forums and bug tracker and came up with nothing, so this leads me to ask whether this is a bug in the HLP theme or forum settings. Many of the settings that should be visible when editing a poll are missing, these settings are visible when creating new poll or when moderator edits the poll.

Poll layout is weird. Poll option texts are under poll checkbox, making it unnecessarily harder to see what's what.

Noticed that a critical SMF security update has been available for over a week now as well. Might want to check other apps have their security updates too.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Encountered a bug. Every time a poll is edited by whoever created it and is not a moderator, edit resets some of the poll's settings to default. I searched SMF forums and bug tracker and came up with nothing, so this leads me to ask whether this is a bug in the HLP theme or forum settings. Many of the settings that should be visible when editing a poll are missing, these settings are visible when creating new poll or when moderator edits the poll.

Poll layout is weird. Poll option texts are under poll checkbox, making it unnecessarily harder to see what's what.

Noticed that a critical SMF security update has been available for over a week now as well. Might want to check other apps have their security updates too.

The thing with SMF theming (and this has been the main thing discouraging me from doing anything in-depth) is that they do not have any sort of disconnect between form and function. So as we continue using this theme (which IIRC was based on SMF 2 RC2 I think?) and the forums continue to be updated with new patches, there will be a growing disconnect between the functionality provided and expected by the forum code, and the features that the theme has built in.

WRT your specific issue, can you switch to the default SMF theme and see if the issue still occurs there? Barring that, give me a clear report of what settings specifically aren't carrying through, and I'll try to investigate.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
These options aren't visible in default SMF theme either. But it's shocking how much cleaner the default SMF theme is. HLP theme has so many layout and color issues. I think I'll use the default theme for now.

I can't give you a list of what's missing because I can't see them, duh. All I know is that the option to allow re-voting is missing when poll is edited by non-moderator, which forces the setting back to default (which is off).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:24:34 pm by Fury »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Something appears to have happened to reactivate my profanity filter despite the fact I've confirmed it's off, and flipped it back and forth once to be certain.

EDIT: Also now there's an unsightly blank space to either side of the content, of about an inch in width.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

EDIT: Also now there's an unsightly blank space to either side of the content, of about an inch in width.
Did you try a hard refresh? It's Ctrl-F5 on Firefox.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Sounds like your forum preferences got reset somehow; I'm guessing you now have things set to fixed-width rather than fluid.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The thing with SMF theming (and this has been the main thing discouraging me from doing anything in-depth) is that they do not have any sort of disconnect between form and function. So as we continue using this theme (which IIRC was based on SMF 2 RC2 I think?) and the forums continue to be updated with new patches, there will be a growing disconnect between the functionality provided and expected by the forum code, and the features that the theme has built in.
I mean no disrespect or offence, and this post is not just about SMF themes but in general. If you don't have time, will or both to keep up with web application updates, then perhaps you should admit as much and request to have someone on-board who does. See, themes can have bugs and some of them may even be security related. So keeping themes up-to-date is important too. As a neat side-effect, custom theme stays consistent with default theme and there shouldn't be weird layout or color issues like there currently is in the HLP theme.

Another thing  to consider is, perhaps you're customizing HLP theme more than is necessary. Sure it is nice to have something different, some bells and whistles and some additional eye-candy, but in the end they cause nothing but additional work when you have to update theme to latest version.

Another thing to remember is that most web applications supply detailed changelogs. Which is excellent means to check if you need to update files, themes or otherwise. In that case you can simply run side-by-side code comparison to see what needs to be modified, added or removed. Reducing time needed to keep things up-to-date.

Bottom line is, if it is true that the current theme is still based on SMF 2.0 RC2, then that means there might be potential security holes in the theme files themselves. It's no longer just an inconvenience from some layout/color issues, but security as well. Same applies to MediaWiki and anything else.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:31:20 am by Fury »