Author Topic: New featured article please!!!  (Read 3570 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
New featured article please!!!
We've had the same one for YEARS and it's not very interesting, let's get something like Axem's mid-mission jump tutorial or one of Nuclear's essays on narrative~!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: New featured article please!!!
+1!

Also, isn't the featured article supposed to cycle?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've changed the featured article. :yes:

The featured articles can only be changed manually.  It is the featured pictures that automatically cycle.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The link in the title still linked to the Nightmares; I fixed it.

However, it somewhat undermines the point of a featured article if the summary of it contains more information than the actual article it links to.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The link in the title still linked to the Nightmares; I fixed it.

Ah, thanks, I must have missed that.

However, it somewhat undermines the point of a featured article if the summary of it contains more information than the actual article it links to.

I was hoping it would inspire people to add more information to the article itself. :)

But if that doesn't happen after a short period of time, I'll move some information from the summary into the article.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Rather, i find the question more of how to integrate non-canon information such as appearances in (notable) campaigns into the article proper, and how to keep it cleanly separate from the canon information.

Secondly, I think for the Meson Bomb in particular, there might be a case for a separate article for the technology itself and one for the specific "ship" (or in this case, cargo container), since there's no limitation that meson bombs have to be TC Meson Bombs - for example, I doubt the ones shoved within the Bastion and Nereid used to collapse the jump nodes are of the triton-carriable variety.

Seeing as how much...uh...attention that one-liner aeolus comment got, i have my hesitations simply going wild with fan-made campaign information on the TC Meson Bomb page (and I'd assume other people have similar concerns)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Be sensible and constructive, accept edits as part of the wiki model, don't get caught up in edit wars, and you'll be fine.

If this is going to be the featured article for the next little bit, I'd very much like to see more detail added. At present, this is a very typical ship page - not normally sobering that would qualify as a featured article IMO, so we should clean it up.

Given how relatively little information the game gives us, I'm not sure that we need a separate page for the technology vs the ship, but a separate subsection would definitely be valid.

As for non canon stuff, yeah, chick it in under a separate subheading, possibly add the non-canon identifier as well.

Oh, and screenshots, if anyone has any good, relevant ones? A gallery at the bottom would be great.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've made some edits to the Meson Bomb page, and moved stuff out of the Featured Article summary accordingly.

And yeah, no need to make separate articles for the cargo container and the bomb itself.