Author Topic: Rebellion - The Board Game  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Rebellion - The Board Game
NOTE: No connection to Space Balls the Breakfast Cereal, Space Balls the Flamethrower (the kids really love that one), or Space Balls the Doll.

SECOND NOTE: I would understand if this gets moved to Gaming Discussion at some point, but because this is a Star Wars board, I felt starting this here would be more relevant.

Now that the disclaimers are out of the way, I was really impressed to see this today:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebellion-Board-Game/dp/B017MLIGP0

...Primarily because I'm a fan of the old Lucas Arts computer strategy game of the same title. The board game even starts with the same general premise of an undergunned Rebel Alliance using diplomacy and covert / unconventional warfare to combat the military and economic supremacy of the Galactic Empire. What I'm most surprised of is that I'm just finding out about this thing NOW...

Thus, I have to ask - has anyone actually tried it? It looks like a ton of fun, but then I'd actually have to have people to hang out with to play it.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Rebellion - The Board Game
I'll leave it here for now just because our boards are a bit slow lately.  If another  mod feels like it needs to move I won't complain.

That looks almost as complex as the Firefly board game, which I happen to love.  Haven't tried it, but I'd definitely be willing to give it a try.  Fantasy Flight Games has a good reputation in my book.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've played one game with a mate who owns the game and I really enjoyed it. It's really captured the feeling of a militarily insignificant but incredibly flexible rebellion taking on a overwhelming imperial war machine that needs to be everywhere at once. You also have the same-as-the-computer-game characters that you need to run various missions. It's a bit spammy with all the pieces, I recall the game taking several hours, I don't recall if there's the majority of choices to be made are ~interesting~, and from only a single game I don't think I'm qualified to comment on the depth of play & continued enjoyment from the game, but at this point I'd play it again in a flash.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Tnadz

I'm still waiting for someone to give it the "Oregon Trail" treatment to Super Star Wars from the SNES.  Just like in both games, your chances of dying are incredibly high.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'll leave it here for now just because our boards are a bit slow lately.  If another  mod feels like it needs to move I won't complain.

That looks almost as complex as the Firefly board game, which I happen to love.  Haven't tried it, but I'd definitely be willing to give it a try.  Fantasy Flight Games has a good reputation in my book.

If you enjoy the Firefly board game you'll probably enjoy a lot of modern board games since nearly everything is better designed and faster to play! FFG is generally a good source of high-theme fun Ameritrash with rules that don't usually absolutely completely suck.