Author Topic: Promotions  (Read 1321 times)

Hi guys, I have a question.

I'm playing with FS Blue and recognised that I'm still just an Ensign with all the medals achieved and score over 20k. I checked (if it's still relevant)that I should be at the rank of Lieutenant. Before that I played through the FSPort and there I could achived higher ranks. How is it working, if lets say I use just one pilot for multiple campaigns and mods. Is the total score adds up or it is partitioned by campaigns/mods. And if I create some mission, does the points achieved there count in?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
BP sets promotion points levels really high so they don't distract during their campaigns; it can't exactly be made not to apply to FSBlue, so no promotions.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I see, thank you!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Maybe we could grant scripted promotions at points during the FS2 campaign so you're not an ensign in charge of a squadron?

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I'm interested too in knowing how promotions work across campaigns/save files. If you get promoted to Captain by points playing retail and then use that savefile for BP, does it retain that rank or demote you based on how many points you have?
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

The points/kills get removed everytime you start a new campaign. Also, I tend to use a new pilot for every campaign/mod I play, since I ran into serious problems with somewhat corrupted pilot files in the past due to using the same pilot again and again (for example, pressing on "1" didn't worked for me anymore, what made some campaings rather unplayable).

It'd be good if the player got promoted every time Alpha 1 gets assigned to a new squadron, or at least every second time (think of getting promoted and being assigned to elite Blue Lions). On the other hand, the Score value you receive at the end would be overwritten- maybe add this at the end of the campaign while jumping out or getting fried in Apocalypse - "You archieved XXXXX points during the campaign"?

Long time ago, I was using the same pilot for pretty much every campaign, and grinded my way up to commander. I kinda miss that, I don't think it was all that immersion breaking to have the medals be persistent between campaigns, in a way it was like an achievement list. Oh well, medals are a pretty minor aspect of the game anyway ^^.

BP sets promotion points levels really high so they don't distract during their campaigns; it can't exactly be made not to apply to FSBlue, so no promotions.

Haha, I remember Petrarch promoting the player during a War in Heaven livestream. People were like "dammit Petrarch" :)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
The official campaigns are one of the few that is actually using Score for fulfilled mission objectives.

Well... BP could simply use a 0 Score for every ship and mission objective by default in the tables and Blue Planet missions.

But because it is possible to give an individual score to any ship and objective in a mission, actually FSBlue could be the only campaign in the Mod where you are able to get promotion points in general.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.