Author Topic: EM Drive update: It's probably a measurement error  (Read 1222 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
EM Drive update: It's probably a measurement error
In the ongoing saga of the EM drive, a seemingly miraculous device that was theorized to generate thrust via microwave magic, a new paper has appeared.
Scientists at TU Dresden have built a comprehensive test setup and have done a bunch of testing on a (self-built) EM drive. They saw thrust generated, yes.... but over the course of testing the drive in various configurations, it seemed to become clear that the little thrust generated was actually the result of an interaction between the Earth's magnetic field and the test apparatus itself.

So, while this is probably not the definite end of the story yet, it does seem like the EM drive isn't going to be a viable interstellar drive mechanism.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Re: EM Drive update: It's probably a measurement error
So, in other words, the EM drive is actually ... an EM drive.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I saw this. Very sad.....

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
If the effect is reproducible in orbit (interacting with the Earth magnetic field there) than it could still be a handy thing for satellites in LEO to MEO orbits.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan