Author Topic: Downloading  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Phantom

I have been trying to download this for weeks but I can't get fileplanet to work, every time I try to download it it just takes me back to the forum page with the link on it. Is there anywhere else it can be downloaded from? (I REALLY want to play this).

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
SectorGame has Port 1.5 and 2.0, but not 2.1 hosted. It was never added to the VWArchives, either.

In short, I don't know.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
yeah i've had trouble downloading it from Fileplanet too.  upload it to swooh as a mirror i'd say... you can't go wrong that way

Offline Cyker

Is there any chance someone could start a BitTorrent tracker for the stuff on this page?
BitTorrent is a really good proggy for spreading the strain of massed downloads...

But seriously, uploading it to any place that
a) Doesn't require registration and
b) Doesn't have a queue that forces you to wait for an hour, then cuts you off half-way through with no resume
would be better than FilePlanet!!!!!!!!!

Heck, with BitTorrent all we need is someone with a decent connection to seed the files and as long as loads of people DL it and leave their trackers running we'll all be able to get the thing at good speeds without stressing our connections :)

Another place you could set up a mirror is via Kazaa or Gnutella...
I think a lot of people still underestimate the power of distributed file-sharing vs POS centralised systems like FilePlanet...

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
beggers can't be choosers..  I think that is how it goes...
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
a wee but late... GE, i'd suggest you get it onto sectorgame soon... especially before ST:R...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Sectorgame is on and off so often I can't even keep track. And it won't help the bandwidth limits, either.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

And good luck for finding a reliable, free, without a queue, server, which would accept a file half a giga big. Yes, that's quite a lot of conditions. And P&P clients aren't that reliable either.

Fileplanet works fine depending on the hour apparently. Sure, it won't help if you have to be up at 3am for a clean download. (At the moment of the writing, there are about 300 places left, but the hour isn't really appropriate in the States so.)

Offline Cyker

True, but at least with P2P systems you can RESUME!!!!

This is why I really hate FP.... 2 hours of DL'ing, 5% to go then ZWIP! "You are 399 in a queue of 400." ... aaaaaaa...... :confused: :eek:

And then later: "Downloading. 1% complete."... £$#%&*@!!! :mad: :hopping:

I could resume downloads with FP fine when I had a few problems with that server. But as it was only short interruptions, perhaps the donwload was fine.

Or, more likely, the problem is linked with the queue? I have to admit I have yet to be on a queue on FP, so I cannot say how it works with Getright (or another program) when you do have to wait.