Author Topic: next version release?  (Read 4885 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
next version release?
Since it has been 6 months since 2.3 came out, I politly ask are you guys are planning on releasing the next version anytime soon? Not to rush or anything.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
ST:Reborn as well?
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
NEVAR!!! :D

What's wrong with the current version of the Port?  We aren't going to release a new version unless we need to... for instance, to fix some bugs.  There's no reason to make a new version if everything's working fine.

We'll probably port some other FS1 campaigns and post them on the site, but I can't tell you when that will happen.

Silent Threat: Reborn is plugging along.  A Christmas release looks likely.

Offline Kosh

What's wrong with the current version of the Port? We aren't going to release a new version unless we need to... for instance, to fix some bugs. There's no reason to make a new version if everything's working fine.

For one thing, the users have to go through and edit all of the missions to make the FS1 music work. Another thing is that the Galatea wont shoot at any asteroids in that one mission (forgot what it was called). Yet another thing is that there is the Vasudan Ace bug in the second mission.

That is all I can remember at the moment. People have been complaining about these things for months and you said you would do something about it, which you havent. Don't tell me that "everything is fine", because it is not true.

EDIT: In fact, I can even quote you.

Originally posted by Goober5000
You're welcome. :) We'll be releasing a version of the Port that has the FS1 music specified for the missions sometime after 3.6 is out.  Stay tuned.

You said that almost 4 months ago. Also I saw that Trivial Psychic was talking about a Taranis bug.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 02:26:43 pm by 1313 »
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
The Vasudan was taking out, IIRC
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Kosh
For one thing, the users have to go through and edit all of the missions to make the FS1 music work.
That will be fixed in the SCP version of the Port, which we're still working on.  We're currently focused on Silent Threat: Reborn.
Another thing is that the Galatea wont shoot at any asteroids in that one mission (forgot what it was called).
This was changed in FS2 - they removed the asteroid targeting code for capships.  It's on my list of stuff to fix in the SCP.
Yet another thing is that there is the Vasudan Ace bug in the second mission.
This has been fixed in 2.3.  As in the original FS1 mission, four conditions must be met:
  • 75% of the Vasudans must be destroyed
  • The player must be above 50% hull integrity
  • The player must be playing on Medium
  • In the first mission, the Orff must not fall below 85% hull integrity
The Vasudan Ace will appear if all those conditions have been met.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

None of these are bugs.  The asteroid fix and the FS1 music conversion are under development, but these are new features, not bugs.  I've played through the Port several times, and it works fine for me.

Note, I said "there's no reason to release a build if everything is working fine", not "there's no reason to release a build, since everything is working fine".  There's a big difference.  If you do find a bug, by all means post it in the bug thread and I'll fix it.  The Taranis issue isn't exactly a bug, but it's definitely a problem that needs looking into, so I'll take another look at that mission.  If you find any other bugs, please post them in the bug thread.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 03:39:36 pm by 561 »

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
It was never like that in FS1, the Ace on medium thing, cuz I never played it on medium and got the Vasudan Ace, Either way I have no problem with it, good work
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Whoops, there is a bug there... the AND should be OR... either above 50 or above Hard.  I'll fix that.

Offline Kosh

Appearently there was a miscommunication. At least I was right about one thing.

Brain I/O error

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I think the "Taranis Bug" was more of a mission designer trying to make the Taranis seem stronger and more menacing than the Cains you encounter later in the campaign.  After all, it was the first time you encounter a Shivan capital ship, so making it seem that much more trouble, just adds to its presence on the battlefield.  Also, changing it to a Lilith class and giving it an alternate class name of Cain, isn't something you do by accident, so I  wouldn't classify it as a "bug" per se, but as an unauthorized feature. :D   Anyway, I'm more concerned with the Shivans' lack of will to attack the Ramses in that mission.  Now THAT's a serious bug, but it could be the fault of SCP, not the Port.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Kosh

Well, what he thought was a "new feature" I thought was a "not fixed bug". Mass confusion ensues..

Brain I/O error

What IS silent threat:reborn ?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Here's the original idea thread:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,9643.0.html

Basically it's a remake of Silent Threat, with a better plot and better missions.

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Reborn is something that is never going to show up.  :D

Well maybe, but not in my life time.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
On the contrary, it's very close to being completed. :)

While I can hope its not SCP (I havn't made the plunge yet), but I really want to see it ;).

Offline Kosh

I wouldn't count on that.

Brain I/O error

Of course not, but I can hope ;)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Goober5000
What's wrong with the current version of the Port?  We aren't going to release a new version unless we need to... for instance, to fix some bugs.  There's no reason to make a new version if everything's working fine.

Bugss? Want some?
OK, for example your wingmen have no initial orders in quite a few missions. So if you don't give them the Engage enemy order, they fall in the first few seconds of the mission. The Ported Interceptor is more effective than the one in FS1. It's because the Interceptor works like a Harpoon, it does not target the engines. It is not a problem if you have Interceptors, but it breaks the mission balance. For example, I lost all my wingmen in the Capture the Taranis mission even before the Chronos arrived.
Mission difficulties are also screwed in some missions where the Interceptor can't be the problem. For example the mission where you have to inspect the Shivan cargo. I never died in that mission unless I played the port.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Is all this in FS Retail?  If it is, then I can't help you... this is a direct port from FS1 to FS2.

If you're using FS Open, there are several balance bugs that we're trying to fix.  Be patient.

By the way, if wingmen have no initial orders, then they automatically engage the enemy.