Author Topic: FS1 Cutscenes in FS2 Open? (yes, I know...)  (Read 3962 times)

FS1 Cutscenes in FS2 Open? (yes, I know...)
Ok, utter newbie here, so try not to jump down my throat too far.  I've been reading up and installing things since Friday evening, and it looks like I'm going to be able to get to playing shortly, but I have one question.

I've installed FS2, FS2 open (3.6.5 w/ the newest build patch from the new build forum), Launcher 5, and the FS1 port.  I've obtained avis of all the movie files for both fs1 and fs2.  All my fs1open files are in a subdirectory of Fs2 (FreeSpace2\fs1_port), so I select it as a mod from the launcher.  (Is this the best way to do it?  I've tried it both ways, didn't seem to make a difference...)

My question is: Can I get the cut scenes (the avis) from FS1 to play while playing the FS1port in fs2open?  I've seen many posts that suggest you can, but I've not seen them in game yet.  (I've only played 2 or 3 missions).  Although with the newest build, the FS2open splash screen shows, then I see my desktop, but I hear a movie playing...

Also, for the first FS1 mission, the movie (animation?)  that plays in the breifing screen is really small...but the other (2nd/3rd) missions I've played don't seem to have this issue.

Finally, if there is no solution to get them playing in game, can someone tell me where in the missions the different movies should fall?  That way I'll just watch them out of game when the proper time comes.

Please keep in mind I'm a freespace virgin (having never touched the games until last Friday), and want to start at the begining (fs1) with no spoilers...it was suggested on my home forum that I start w/ FS1 for story reasons, and so I'm doing that.  Or trying too :)

Thanks,
SkyMonkey

P.S.  You all have done massive good work, and I thank you.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: FS1 Cutscenes in FS2 Open? (yes, I know...)
:welcome:

:)

Originally posted by SkyMonkey
I've installed FS2, FS2 open (3.6.5 w/ the newest build patch from the new build forum), Launcher 5, and the FS1 port.  I've obtained avis of all the movie files for both fs1 and fs2.  All my fs1open files are in a subdirectory of Fs2 (FreeSpace2\fs1_port), so I select it as a mod from the launcher.  (Is this the best way to do it?  I've tried it both ways, didn't seem to make a difference...)
Sounds like you did everything right.  Although the movie code is still a bit buggy.  As long as you have the most recent build and put the movies in the Freespace2 folder you should be good.
My question is: Can I get the cut scenes (the avis) from FS1 to play while playing the FS1port in fs2open?  I've seen many posts that suggest you can, but I've not seen them in game yet.  (I've only played 2 or 3 missions).  Although with the newest build, the FS2open splash screen shows, then I see my desktop, but I hear a movie playing...
It should be set up to play the movies automatically.  As for hearing the movie playing but not seeing it, that's odd.  Ask in the SCP forum.
Also, for the first FS1 mission, the movie (animation?)  that plays in the breifing screen is really small...but the other (2nd/3rd) missions I've played don't seem to have this issue.
It's the command briefing animation, and they're different sizes because they come from two different games.  Playing in 640x480 will help a little with that.
Finally, if there is no solution to get them playing in game, can someone tell me where in the missions the different movies should fall?  That way I'll just watch them out of game when the proper time comes.
You ought to be able to get them playing properly eventually.  Just ask in the SCP forum if all else fails. :)
Please keep in mind I'm a freespace virgin (having never touched the games until last Friday), and want to start at the begining (fs1) with no spoilers...it was suggested on my home forum that I start w/ FS1 for story reasons, and so I'm doing that.  Or trying too :)
Good idea. :)
P.S.  You all have done massive good work, and I thank you.
You're welcome. :) Good luck.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I have just download FS Port and it works great with SCP. Only just one thing, as SkyMonkey has done it, where can I get the avi version movies for FS1 cutscenes?

I agree with SkyMonkey that all the work you've done with SCP is just great. Thanks.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

The "movie plays but only with sound" thing sounds like you might be missing a codec. Do you have the latest xVid Codecs?

You can get the FS1/FS2 Movies from here:

http://oregonstate.edu/~plankerj/FS1movies/
http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~plankerj/fs2movies/

Thanks goes to Kosh.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 09:47:03 am by 1802 »
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Thanks for the answers...I figured out that running in a non-standard res. was causing the drop to desktop w/ movie sounds in the background.  In the normal modes, I get the movie box, but no video, just sound.  Like it jammed on the first frame (old DivX codecs used to have this problem sometimes).  I have the latest version of ffdshow, and the movies play outside of the game just fine.

I am actually having issues too; I've downloaded the AVI files and placed them in my Freespace2 directory, along with all the other fs1port files.

Interestingly (or perhaps this is standard) I don't get the intro movie (original, from installed copy of FS2) when starting Freespace 2 via fs2_open either (but I do if I remove the fs2open vp files and use the standard FS2.exe)

Any ideas?

Got it working.  Had to put FS1port mod into its own subdirectory, and rename the distributed FS1intro.avi to intro.avi

Yep, that's what I had to do.  I still get black boxes instead of movies, so I still have some codec problem.  Not sure what it is or what to do about it though, as the movies play in WMP fine, but not in game...using latest FFDshow.

In terms of codecs I seem to have had the most luck (lack of conflicts, lack of pesky avi files that have some codec that my system doesn't like) with the K-Lite codec pack.  I've tried a bunch of other pre-set codec packs before and have always had some trouble or other.  Anyway, might wanna give it a shot, I just did a fresh install of Windows and that's the only set of codecs I've installed, and FS2_Open's avi support does seem to work for me.

What a fantastic game.  Great job to all involved.  Loved your work.

Decent plot, but not too involved.  I hear FS2 is better even....

Great job on the port, flawless execution.  So when is the expansion going to be ready?  And should I read a plot guide for the expansion before starting FS2?

BRAVO!

edit: I see that there is actually a Silent Threat Campaign included.  Is this playable?  I started it, but am very quickly getting my ass kicked.  I didn't see anything about it being ported yet, but it seems to be there...color me confused...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 11:14:57 pm by 3049 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Just finished the port....
Originally posted by SkyMonkey
What a fantastic game.  Great job to all involved.  Loved your work.
Thanks. :)
So when is the expansion going to be ready?
When it's done. :nervous:
And should I read a plot guide for the expansion before starting FS2?
Eh?
edit: I see that there is actually a Silent Threat Campaign included.  Is this playable?  I started it, but am very quickly getting my ass kicked.  I didn't see anything about it being ported yet, but it seems to be there...color me confused...
What you see is what the original version was like. :p It's being completely remade as Silent Threat: Reborn, but progress has been slow due to both me and GE having Real Life issues. ;)

Offline Hudson

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5205/wtfisgoingon2mc.jpg

Thats what I get when It trys to play a video..lol can anyone help?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Originally posted by Hudson
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/5205/wtfisgoingon2mc.jpg

Thats what I get when It trys to play a video..lol can anyone help?

I'm guessing that you have Divx 6 installed; it's a known bug with that particular codec version.  You can either downgrade to Divx 5 or just ride it out until it's fixed (which will hopefully be soon :p).

Offline Hudson

Np, its not that biga deal, infact its worked properly once.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Wow; no comments here other than hooray for newbies that read up on what the crap people are doing here at HLP. It's always nice to see new people that are educated, even if I myself ask more than my share of questions...

Also, there was one build(not sure of the date/programmer) that had a checkbox that went something like: "don't resize movies in window," or something. I didn't test it, but that might help with the tiny-ness.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Unfortunately, that checkbox didn't make any difference.  There's a Mantis post about this particular bug, and it looks as though there may be a way to fix it.  Here's hoping...