Author Topic: SD Lucifer Question  (Read 3081 times)

I just have a few questions regarding FSPort. I recently downloaded the fs1 vps from fileplanet that were necessary to get the game functioning, and everything works great. However, one of the fs1 vps, the high-res one if I am certain, overrides the 3.6.8 beta model vp which contains the HTL Lucifer. The new Lucifer textures have also been overridden as well. I would like to know what are the needed files within the high-res vp, or any other vp, that won't cause conflict with any of the updated HTL models and new textures that have been created? Also, are the textures within the fs1 vps any better than the new updated textures in the 3.6.8 vps? Finally... sorry for so many questions...are there additional files that could be used for FSPort just to make it better? I have read about the cutscenes and I will be looking for those shortly, and downloaded the SCP update for FSPort from a few threads above this one, so I am not sure if there is anything else. Thank you all for your time.

BTW: I read topics about mainhalls that were going to be used for FSPort, including one for the Bastion. Did those ever get released or are they still underway? Again, thank you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 09:08:45 pm by m2258734a »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
1. Put the FSPort files in a different folder so the textures don't get over ridden.

2. Yeah, they're still underway. :rolleyes:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Thanks Cobra, but I have already tried to seperate the FS1 vps into another folder, but they become undetected and I am no longer able to play the original freespace campaign. I am not familiar with using the MOD function in the SCP launcher as all I am getting is complaints about having no spaces in the mod dir, and I do not know if there are specific files that I need like a mod.ini or something like that. The folders' names are spaceless, and I know I am obviously doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

EDIT: So I just tried Karajorma's FAQ, but the launcher doesn't even want to detect the mediavps folder I made. It gives me the same message as before, "Mod directory name cant contain space".
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 02:24:11 pm by m2258734a »

Ok, so I managed to fix the "no space" problem. I experimented a little bit with putting FSO and FS1 vps into their own folders, and now I am left with the fs1 vps seperated into their own folder giving me the best results ship model and texture-wise. But, I am now back to where I started because the Lucifer's texture and model is still the older version. Do I have to edit the fs1 vps, or am I still doing something wrong?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing that the Lucifer's model and textures are included in the FSPort VPs.  This means that, even though you're using multimod correctly, you'll still get the older model/textures, since FS2 is checking the Port's VPs before the MediaVPs, which contain the higher poly version.  (This precedence for the Port is necessary in order for it to run correctly.)  The reason you're seeing all of the other upgraded models is because those particular ships aren't contained in the Port's VPs; where you were seeing the retail FS2 models previously, now you're seeing those that are included in the MediaVPs.  One way to fix the problem might be to extract the hi-poly Lucifer's model/textures from the MediaVPs and put them into relevant subfolders in a folder named "data" inside your FSPort mod folder.  However, I'm not sure if the version in the FSPort VPs has a different filename, so that method may not work either.  Failing all else, you can just live with the lower-poly Lucy model and wait until the release of the SCP version of the Port, which should happen some time after Galemp and Goober finish up and release Silent Threat: Reborn.

Edit:  Actually, according to the FAQ thread Goober just posted, version 3.0 may come out as soon as this month, so it won't be that long of a wait after all. :)

Yeah, I was afraid that I would have to extract or delete some files from the vps. As of lately I have been encountering many bugs in the FSPort missions, involving numerous crashes on completion of a mission, so I am going to take a break from FSPort. I'll just wait until the next version comes out. I appreciate the help.

Offline bfobar

I downloaded a new copy of Vasudan Admiral's high poly lucifer release and stuck it in the FS1_Port/data/models folder(and the texture maps in the effects folder of course) to get my high poly lucifer action without waiting. It's pretty easy to do that way just to hold you over playing the port.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I downloaded a new copy of Vasudan Admiral's high poly lucifer release and stuck it in the FS1_Port/data/models folder(and the texture maps in the effects folder of course) to get my high poly lucifer action without waiting. It's pretty easy to do that way just to hold you over playing the port.
So that method does work, then.  Good thing to know in case I feel like re-playing the Port before the new release. :)

Offline bfobar

So that method does work, then.  Good thing to know in case I feel like re-playing the Port before the new release. :)

The hi-poly lucifer release made me play FS1 again. I had to figure out how to get it in the campaign.  :D