Author Topic: How to install and run fsport ?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Riotta

• Viper Mark II pilot
How to install and run fsport ?
Hello, I'm little confused about installation process of Freespace port for Freespace 2. I got Freespace 2 + Fs2_Open 3.6.9 up and running on my Linux box, and now what? Where shall I copy the files files downloaded from fsport site?
Should I modify some files or just copy all to data dir, or make new directory and put the files over there? I only want to have working freespace & silent threat missions with my freespace 2 installation and posibility to run them in 1024x768 no aditional eye-candy is needed for me. I will be grateful for any tips or howto directions, I searched the forum but I haven't got luck in finding anything which can help me directly.

Regards
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 07:36:54 pm by Riotta »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: How to install and run fsport ?
Make a new directory in your main FreeSpace directory and call it 'FSPort'. Paste all the FSPort stuff there. Open the launcher and go to the 'mods' tab. Click 'select mod' and open the FSPort folder. Then go into video and choose the resolution you want.

If that doesn't work go ask Karajorma or whatever (cause Kara is the incarnation of all wisdom).

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Hello, I'm little confused about installation process of Freespace port for Freespace 2. I got Freespace 2 + Fs2_Open 3.6.9 up and running on my Linux box, and now what? Where shall I copy the files files downloaded from fsport site?
Should I modify some files or just copy all to data dir, or make new directory and put the files over there? I only want to have working freespace & silent threat missions with my freespace 2 installation and posibility to run them in 1024x768 no aditional eye-candy is needed for me. I will be grateful for any tips or howto directions, I searched the forum but I haven't got luck in finding anything which can help me directly.

Regards

Snail's advice was otherwise correct but it didn't take into account that as you're running Linux, you can't use the Launcher, as it is a Windows only feature (being a windows exe and all that)...

You just have to enable the mod directory manually by adding a command line option

-mod FSPort

where FSPort is the directory where you dump Port VP files.

Also I suggest you enable at least specular lighting and glowmaps. I would be using command line

$ fs2_open_r -mod FSPort -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -2d_poof -missile_lighting -img2dds -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -alpha_env -fps  -ambient_factor 18.3 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1 -fov 0.60

to enable FSPort mod directory (and some "eye candy"). Actually I would also use mediaVP's along with the FSPort mod, but if you don't want to explore into that area, that's your choice...

In general, exactly same command line options are available to Linux version as to Windows version. You can find out a lot by reading about command line options in the Freespace Wiki. Link to there you can found from upper edge of every HLP page.

:)

EDIT: Here's a direct link to Wiki article called FS2 Open on Linux.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh, and if you want to use FRED with the FSPort create a shortcut and add  -mod FSPort, so it should go: C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fred2_open_3_6_9.exe -mod FSPort.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Snail, he's running Linux. ;)

I don't think, again, that using FRED in Linux is just a simple as that. I don't even remember if it's possible in the first place. I don't remember if you can simply compile a FRED build and use it in Linux, I certainly haven't done that nor even tried so I wouldn't know. But be assured that it is *not* as simple as just downloading a FRED build and starting it like in Windows.

Oh, and by the way Snail: When you're using FRED_Open on Windows you should AFAIK also add -htl to the shortcut to run the executable in HTL mode...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dysko

When you're using FRED_Open on Windows you should AFAIK also add -htl to the shortcut to run the executable in HTL mode...
You should add -fredhtl, not just -htl ;)
Or at least, this is what I must do on my PC :rolleyes:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Riotta

• Viper Mark II pilot
Hello again, so I made folder in fs2_open main folder called fsport and extracted all files from the fsport project site there. Now when I want to run the mod by command "fs2_open -mod fsport" the gam has ran but when I will pick new pilot profile I get some weird error:

Code: [Select]
ERROR: "Could not load in main hall mask '2_MainHall_Galatea-m'!" at menuui/mainhallmenu.cpp:1086

Any clue what can be the problem?

Here is the screen of files in the mod directory just in case.

Regards
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 09:21:13 am by Riotta »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Try removing FSPort-hi_res. See if that helps, but I'm not sure.

Oh, and I'm about as stupid as Charismatic when it comes to Linux....

Offline Riotta

• Viper Mark II pilot
Still the same problem  :( I'm newbie when it comes to fs2_open maybe I forgot about some pack or something althru fs2_open itself works for me?

Regards
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 10:17:32 am by Riotta »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Code: [Select]
ERROR: "Could not load in main hall mask '2_MainHall_Galatea-m'!" at menuui/mainhallmenu.cpp:1086

You need to download and shove into that folder a file named

sparky_hi_fs1.vp

in order to run the game in 1024x768 graphics mode.

Try that one and if it doesn't work youäll have to wait for someone who knows more to shed some information about the subject.

Offline Riotta

• Viper Mark II pilot
Thanks, that was it now, it work without any errors :D

Regards

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Hey, G5K.

Write a thorough how-to and sticky it, ok?

Just a thought,
~Selectah
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hey, G5K.

Write a thorough how-to and sticky it, ok?

Just a thought,
~Selectah

Eh.  I need a documentation minion.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
<- Would volunteer to minion if this one knew what you wanted written.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys