Author Topic: PVI Karnak - Poss bug in tech screen  (Read 3656 times)

PVI Karnak - Poss bug in tech screen
Hi everyone,

I am a 1 day virgin when it comes to FSOpen and FSPort, so this may be caused by my noobness with these mods, but while in the tech room every time I click on the PVI Karnak the game freezes. I have to use a three finger salute and end the process to get back to my desktop.

I have the speech setting on and the actual text is sent to the microsft speech synth and will play even though the game itself has frozen.

Is this a known bug with a fix, or is it a problem with my setup?

I have only done the first 3 training missions, and the first of the campaign missions so far, but I am worried about carrying on if this is also going to cause a problem later.

I swapped to FSOpen to see if the bug was there as well to make sure it wasn't in their files and not yours, but this ship isn't listed in the fs2 tech room.  :rolleyes:

I have checked every other entry (In weapons and intelligence as well as the ships section) and every thing else is fine, it just seems to be this one ship\model that is a problem.

Help? :D

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: PVI Karnak - Poss bug in tech screen
If you are using the FSPort and the FSPort mediavps, that model WILL cause a freeze, but not a fatal one. The reason for this is that the game has to generate cache data for that model, and since the Karnak is one of the most complex models out there (the updated version, anyway), this will take some time. My advice would be to let it sit for at least a few minutes while that data is being generated.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks for the quick reply. I shall try your suggestion, although it seems odd to me that all the other models load instantly and this one takes so long.

But as long as this is  the cause, then I'm cool with that. Cheers.  :yes: :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It is by far the most complex model in any MediaVPs, although it will take second place to the Hades once that's finished.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Again, thanks for a quick reply, although I wasn't doubting the cause or solution as I have done enough modding in my time to know these things can happen.  :D

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Perhaps someone should include the .ibx file?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It IS in the FSPort MediaVPs.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The ibx that's in the port mediavps is out of date.  It needs to be regenerated.