Author Topic: FSPort 3.4 Discussion!  (Read 33279 times)

Offline Arpit

Re: FSPort 3.4 Discussion!
It is a code bug, and it has been fixed in the latest nightly builds. The main FreeSpace campaign uses +Flags: to select main halls, the same method that retail campaigns use. Use a recent nightly build and you won't need to edit the campaign file.
Oh sorry then. You are actually right. I have edited my previous post.

Just would like to ask but in which builds are the new main hall features coming where you will specify the mainhall to be used by changing the main hall index to main hall name ? (If i remember it was to be 3.7 but are they present in RC1 ?)

----------------------------

Just some days ago i had posted the Mantis ticket 0002847 reporting a crash on the mission Evangelist. It is now working perfectly for me. I extracted the mission file (sm2-09.fs2) and opened it in FRED. Then I first removed the Good Secondary Time event, saved it, tested it and then restored the event back and saved it. I don't know how but it is working. I had PM'd Goober5000 about this but it looks he didn't read the message. Also I saw that when you delete the backup file(sm2-09.bak) for mission and restart the campaign, it again crashes. Any solutions ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:28:08 am by Arpit »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It is extremely unlikely that your crashes were related to good-secondary-time or the .bak (which literally does nothing unless you are using FRED).

Looks like on Mantis they are working on the issue. Ripping your mission files and dicking around with them is likely not going to fix it if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Had a few bugs in the new Silent Threat. Still a lot of colliding transports in the pirate mission, colliding cruisers in the Hellfire one and a blocker bug in the "Save Krios's escape pods" missions: All escape pods but number 8 died and docking failed to trigger, it remained sitting "inside" the destroyer.

Other than that, it is a nice product once again.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Yarn

Had a few bugs in the new Silent Threat. Still a lot of colliding transports in the pirate mission, colliding cruisers in the Hellfire one and a blocker bug in the "Save Krios's escape pods" missions: All escape pods but number 8 died and docking failed to trigger, it remained sitting "inside" the destroyer.

Other than that, it is a nice product once again.
Are you referring to Volition's Silent Threat or Silent Threat: Reborn?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Reborn. Is "Hellfire" actually in the original one?
So, again I report the following bug: In STR's "Betrayed" (recent port and version), if all espace pods but pod 8 are destroyed, the mission blocks. Docking fails to trigger, the espace pod remains "inside" the destroyer and never vanishes.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

Yeah, it even has 4x Shivan cruisers in it as well :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It's one of the few decent missions in the original, simply because there's no plot to it at all.  You just blow stuff up. :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
So, again I report the following bug: In STR's "Betrayed" (recent port and version), if all espace pods but pod 8 are destroyed, the mission blocks. Docking fails to trigger, the espace pod remains "inside" the destroyer and never vanishes.

Can you post your fs2_open.log?

Offline Yarn

Still a lot of colliding transports in the pirate mission,
If you're referring to the Kappa transports, the two wings are trying to dock with the same cargo container (i.e., both Kappa 1s try to dock with one container, both Kappa 2s try to dock with another, etc.). There's probably no easy way to fix this, unfortunately.

colliding cruisers in the Hellfire one
This is happening because all the cruisers are converging to one point. This should be simple enough to fix.

and a blocker bug in the "Save Krios's escape pods" missions: All escape pods but number 8 died and docking failed to trigger, it remained sitting "inside" the destroyer.
I was unable to reproduce this in 3.6.18 and a recent nightly, using cheats in both cases. As Goober said, do post a log.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline est1895

Could someone put all the Core, Optional and MediaVPs into one file please.  ;7

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
TBP discovered that merging all VP files into one giant VP file leads to instability.  Supposedly, FSO doesn't like to work with huge files.

TBP discovered that merging all VP files into one giant VP file leads to instability.  Supposedly, FSO doesn't like to work with huge files.

putting the vps into one big .zip or .rar would be awfully convenient though.

Please?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wouldn't that just give the download that much more of a chance to interrupt or get corrupted along the way, meaning that you'd have to start the whole thing over from scratch?  At least with the separate downloads, if something screws up, you're not out the entire thing.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That too.  Plus, if we fix a bug in a mission*, downloading fsport-missions.zip is easy and quick compared to redownloading some huge VP.

* This was more of a problem in the pre-3.0 days when many of the FSPort missions were created by hand in FRED2 with the original mission open in FRED1 as a reference.  With 3.0 we just run a converter.  Nowadays if we change something in a mission, it's usually to fix an actual bug, like the Taranis vs. Ramses battle.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers

This isn't entirely true.  There was no real problem with the engine and large VPs.  The problem was with most of the VP utilities available at the time.  They couldn't handle files greater then 1GB.  For instance the only thing that could open the VP to view it was the build of VPView that shipped with TBP.  I believe it was the MediaVPs that had other issues with one large file. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Yarn

I've attached a version of Hellfire where the cruisers should not collide. Vidmaster, can you test this? EDIT: The revised mission is now committed to SVN.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:48:38 pm by Yarn »
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Hi everyone. I'm having a strange, minor yet still incredibly irritating problem with my FSPort. I recently used Turey's FSO installer (a complete install, as my old HDD with all of my old pilots and everything else died) and now I've started the FSPort campaign with MediaVPs, but my problem is that when I complete a mission and move on to the next one, both the music and briefing voice fail to play. If I go back to the main screen and click on the Ready Room and reload the mission, I get the music but still no briefing voice. The only way to fix it is to close the game after each mission and load it again from the launcher, which is... something of an inconvenience.

Any ideas?

Edit: Also, sometimes character voices (both in briefings and pilot messages) become really soft so that they're practically inaudible underneath the music and sound effects for a little while before returning to normal.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:58:22 am by Kane Kaizer »

Offline Arpit

Hi everyone. I'm having a strange, minor yet still incredibly irritating problem with my FSPort. I recently used Turey's FSO installer (a complete install, as my old HDD with all of my old pilots and everything else died) and now I've started the FSPort campaign with MediaVPs, but my problem is that when I complete a mission and move on to the next one, both the music and briefing voice fail to play. If I go back to the main screen and click on the Ready Room and reload the mission, I get the music but still no briefing voice. The only way to fix it is to close the game after each mission and load it again from the launcher, which is... something of an inconvenience.

Any ideas?

Edit: Also, sometimes character voices (both in briefings and pilot messages) become really soft so that they're practically inaudible underneath the music and sound effects for a little while before returning to normal.

Wait, Turey's FSO installer still works ?  :wtf:

Try the Preload mission game sounds flag in the launcher.

Looks like Dan Wentz's music is too overpowering.  ;7

EDIT : Also attach a debug log.(It is present in the Freespace 2/data folder named as 'fs2open.log'. Also you must play with a debug version of a build to generate it. It might prove useful for 'us'. (And by us I mean the FSPort team, the SCP team,etc. and not me.)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:08:51 am by Arpit »

Offline Yarn

Wait, Turey's FSO installer still works ?  :wtf:
It "works" in the sense that you may be able to run it and have it download files. However, it's also known to download incorrect and corrupted files and not fully install components. That's why its use is strongly discouraged.

Now, Kane Kaizer, we need you to post your debug log. Instructions are found here. If you have never posted an FS2 Open debug log before, please read those instructions thoroughly.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Oh, great. Something's wrong with the installer?  :blah:

Anyway, I tried preloading mission game sounds and it didn't work. Although sometimes the music does still work, the biggest problem is with the briefing voice pretty much never working after completing a mission. Somehow it even affects cutscenes.  :rolleyes:

I made that log. I also noticed that it doesn't seem to like my ships and weapons tables (I edited them to make the cap ship turrets shoot faster), but I don't think that has caused any problems.

[attachment deleted by ninja]