Author Topic: Briefing Icon Inverted, Since Retail?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Briefing Icon Inverted, Since Retail?
I was noticing that the briefing icon (and corresponding radar icon) for cruiser class, obviously based on the Fenris, is upside down.  I can't tell if this is a goof on the part of the Conversion crew, or the original designers.  Also, if it IS Volition's error, should it be fixed?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Briefing Icon Inverted, Since Retail?
Are you talking about the original icon or the icon that actually looks like a Fenris? Because the original one was always upside down.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It's been a long time since I played the ORIGINAL game, so I don't remember what the icon looks like, and since the Port is trying to recreate the original game, I assumed it would be the same.  Regardless, the current icon appears to be upside down.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It appears, because it is. :P Though I have to wonder if the Fenris and Leviathan got flipped and the icons were never changed to match.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That sounds likely to me.  The flipped icon is far from the only inconsistency in FreeSpace.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Do you guys intend to flip it to properly match the Fenris profile, or do you intend to leave it as is for the sake of authenticity/ease?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's not as simple as flipping it.  I think it was drawn, or traced from a screenshot.  When flipped, the back end has the curved lines in the wrong place and it looks odd.  Then there's also the perceptual inconsistency caused by seeing the flipped version for so long.

I'm inclined to just leave it.

You can flip it vertically then flip it horizontally, essentially "rotating" it 180 degrees, at least for the briefing icon.

For anyone bothered with the radar icon being flipped I'd just suggest not using the downright ancient radar icons from MediaVPs_3612. There are a few alternative radar icon packs that look much better and use .png instead of .dds and the cruiser icon isn't flipped in those.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=89098.msg1775468#msg1775468 These ones by BirdofPrey are quite nice.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Heh, I remember being confused by this when I was first playing the game at the age of 14 or so.