Author Topic: Who ? What ? Why ? How long ?  (Read 14266 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Who ? What ? Why ? How long ?
A battletech forum ? Here ?  

Yes, you have seen right :) Thanks to the HLP Admins AND the obvious interest of the forum users in Battletech we received our very own Forum here.

But what are we doing ?

The Goal of the Mechcommander OmniTec mod is, to create an updated, and more easily moddable version of the good old Mechcommander 2.  A game based in the universe of a great and fun franchise, a game with lots of tactical components and full of possibilities, which have unfortunately not being discovered by the Microsoft programmers, but I think no one is actually surprised about this. Our Goal is NOT, to release a new campaign, there are actually a lot of good campaigns already availabe, and some of us are also working on a new one. So content is certainly no problem, it’s the game that needs upgrading.

And after all, MS released the sourcecode of the game (which really surprised me when it happened), and that’s certainly something, I like MS for. I have started modding MC a few years back before the sourcecode came, but the possibilities where quite limited, and so I left it quickly (like most of the fans did, not to mention the Carver V campaign was rather boring storywise IMO)

But a few people remained, and even created some nice new additions, and after the SC came out, there has already been some scattered, but very good work being done throughout the web in the last few years, like new mechs, vehicles or gameplay changes. So that has restarted my modding will again, and I started to collect information. I found a few very talented modders that already made changes to the code, and made the proposal for a combined effort and it found some interest. There is already an alpha base available, and two of the three major code enhancements are making progress or are already half way done. Of course, there are a lot of more changes than only the three that could be done :)

So, here we are. The reason why we are here, and not somewhere else in the battletech forums is pretty simple. I LIKE HLP, been here for many years now, and that’s why I wanted to come here. A lot of talented people are around, it’s a good administrated site and one of the friendliest modding community I know. The noob friendly atmosphere that I have seen here in the past years is certainly something very special in this place and is actually pretty rare in the internet.

So, once again I say a open “Thank you” for the hosting at HLP, and welcome everyone to our subforum :) In the next days I will post a few links to the available campaigns so you people can reload your wish for mechbattles again.

Also, feel free to discuss here whatever battletech or mechcommander related topics you want, and we will try to give support as much as we are able to.

Do we need new people ? Of course ! What we need most of course are coders at the beginning, and later one definitly 2D and 3D Artist to add and enhance the content of the game. So, if you think you can offer something to our cause, feel free to contact me or anyone from my staff. As I said, we do not intend to provide campaigns in the first place, so we don’t have much need for mission designers right now, but that doesn’t mean that YOU should not create new missions. Simply start creating your campaign. The editor is actually quite easy, it’s certainly not more complicate than FRED, it’s just more limited ;)

So, that’ enough for introduction, back to work

Best regards

Starman
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:14:24 am by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Who ? What ? Why ? How long ?
Welcome guys (I know there are a number of familiar faces involved but what the heck), projects of like mindedness should stick together.  I wish the project many years of success.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, questions I have are, what are your plans regarding the source code? Are you starting from scratch with the original MS Source release? Do you have an svn/git/whatever set up to host the code and coordinate efforts?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
The plan is, to enhance the existing code.  Like I said, there is already done some small stuff by a few guys who will join me here shortly.

The 3 major problems are :

1) You can only add new objects by editing a few packed files, one dll, a pak file and some others, which mostly made it impossible in the last few years. That has now been done after the SC came out, and one of the guys is working on placing all info in a single and easy to edit csv file. It's sofar done and beta stage for mechs.

2) There is a limit, how many polygons the engine can display max per frame. This one is also already identified and breached.

3) The texture size is limited to 128x128 tga files, and the biggest mission ground map is 1536x1536.  That must be raised too.

Besides that, there are more features planned, I hope that it will develop so that we can go for those too.

Example : A better logistic system, buying and selling components and a inventory for it, more like in MC1

We don't have a svn, I'm not sure we need one yet, depends how the project evolves. I'm not good in such technical stuff, I will even need help with the FTP :) I'm a modeller and 2D artist at limited scale, so my work is more based on content. We are very much at the beginning now, but I have the hope that a few more people will start helping us.

As for coordination, I have volounteered for doing that. I might not be a good coder, but at least I'm sort of a organizer :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Believe me, for any shared code work (and I assume that there's more than one coder involved in this), an SVN repository or any other form of version control software is absolutely necessary. Without it, you can't effectively coordinate efforts between coders.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I know you are right, I will have to look where, and how to set one up. Like I said, I don't know how to, I'm not good in such things (maybe I'm already to old for such things  :lol: ). For the beginning, I hope it's possible to place it on the ftp, and our both coders can communicate with each other who is working where. But that's certainly not a solution for the future.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Shade

If you're in doubt about how to get an SVN setup going, I'd suggest inquiring with our newly-minted admin rev_posix, since he has been doling out SVN goodness to HLP projects for a while now :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Sounds good, thanks for the info :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline newman

Yep... SVN will increase your team efficiency by a lot. I can't imagine how we used to do without it. You'll definitely want the FTP too.
Interesting project, BTW! Wish I had more time, modeling and texturing mechs sounds like a lot of fun. At any rate good luck with it and welcome.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
First I thought there was something with my eyes when I saw your new avatar. Now I know they are fine ^_^

Nice to see you guys haveing a forum here. Makes it much easier for me to keep track on the development.
Good luck with your project.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Thanks pal :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
\o to any of my old DropShipCommand buddies, now we can confuse people with references to Major Linna and the Warders, right?

I'm going to assume you all have been poking at at Magic's Exodus campaign to see how he did it and that I don't need to tell you. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline newman

You guys do realize you absolutely must have a Madcat, right? :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Eh, you realise that we already have one ? :) It was even in retail . Maybe some day, we can make higher detail stuff, though that's also something for the future :)

@ NGTM-1R : Magic will soon be here too :)

I've intended to point to his exodus campaign, but I didn't find a link. Gotta ask him tomorrow
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline newman

Ah, didn't exactly hear of this project till you appeared here. Might want to start an eyecandy thread then.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ah, didn't exactly hear of this project till you appeared here. Might want to start an eyecandy thread then.

Well, I mean...it's Mechcommander 2, that's a retail game, just like FS2 was.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
HTL Timberwolf? :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
HTL Timberwolf? Tongue

I was waiting for the first post like this  :lol:

Certainly not so soon, don't expect any 10K polygons Madcats too soon  :p The ingame stuff is quite lowpoly. I intend to update them, but certainly not as much as freespace can. On the other hand, I often zoom in very close and play it like a 3rd person shooter (that's when the low textures really start to suck), maybe we will be able to make something to enhance the visual there (lod-system, etc.)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline newman

Certainly not so soon, don't expect any 10K polygons Madcats too soon  :p

Good, the Madcat should have at least 15-20k :P

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
HTL Timberwolf? Tongue

I was waiting for the first post like this  :lol:

Certainly not so soon, don't expect any 10K polygons Madcats too soon  :p The ingame stuff is quite lowpoly. I intend to update them, but certainly not as much as freespace can. On the other hand, I often zoom in very close and play it like a 3rd person shooter (that's when the low textures really start to suck), maybe we will be able to make something to enhance the visual there (lod-system, etc.)
Well, whenever you get to modeling, I could probably lend a hand or two on updating the old models. If you need an example, there's a couple in the FSU board.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL