Author Topic: Ep. 413 "Sometimes a Great Notion" Discussion (SPOILERS)  (Read 6473 times)

Ep. 413 "Sometimes a Great Notion" Discussion (SPOILERS)
Ok, please smack me around if I shouldn't be posting this, but I figured it would be fitting to bring back the episode discussion threads that those of us from BTRL knew and loved. As the title says, this thread will contain spoilers pertaining to the episode listed, so TURN BACK NOW if you do not want to know what happens in this episode. However, please be careful with spoilers pertaining to future episodes! This is supposed to be just discussion of THIS episode.

Still with me? Ok, let's begin!

So, my head is spinning. So many revelations, and yet, as always, so many questions. Who knows what the hell is going on with Kara; is she a ghost? An "angel"? Something else? I'm anxious to see what's revealed about her, because right now, I'm as confused as she is. As for Ellen being the final fifth...wow. That came out of left field! The real question is, will she return? Or is her death throwing the cosmic balance out of alignment...perhaps that's why the cycle seems to be broken?

The highlight of the episode for me was Dee's suicide. That was almost a Joss Whedon-esque move on the writer's part, and I loved it. That feeling of having the rug ripped right out from under you is perfect. It actually reminds me of when Boomer shot Adama, way back when...without any warning, it just happened, and the audience is left clutching at the air, wondering what the frak just happened.

All in all, another superb episode in my opinion. I'm already counting down to next Friday, as I can't wait to get some more answers and explanations. I think RDM, Eick, and the rest have some really great television in store for us.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:26:48 pm by Angreifer »

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Re: Ep. 413 "Sometimes a Great Notion" Discussion (SPOILERS)
Just such a shocking episode...if thats what they were going for.  It worked!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Spoiler:
ELLEN?!

Spoiler:
The flashbacks were nice, and it does seem that the five can resurrect. It makes me wonder if resurrection technologies were being developed, and later after going to the Colonials whoever became the "original programmer" turned the Colonial Cylons into a pet project. Perhaps trying to fix the perceived flaws of both humans and Cylons? It also begs the question if the Earth Cylons were monotheists.

I'm thinking however that the head beings, Kara, etc. are some sort of force that ensures that the cycle occurs. The manipulations of Baltar and six being used to ensure that not everything went according to the "Plan."

It does make me wonder why Three didn't comment that, "Something wanted us to come here, something wants us to survive. I'm not wanting to end it out of being tired of life, I want this to end to be free."

Then again, the rest of the season being the fleet succumbing to nihilism and intentionally trying to destroy all traces of humanity and Cylon...ity might be too grimdark for even BSG.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:32:19 am by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The show has aired. No need for spoiler tags unless you're talking about something from a later show.

I think you all remember how the rules on the BtRL forum worked but if you don't it's pretty simple. Anything in a spoiler thread is fair game if it refers to a show that has already aired. Speculation about stuff that hasn't aired is fine but anything based on trailers, photos or anything said by the cast or crew about an upcoming show should be in spoiler tags (with a warning about what it spoils) or a separate discussion thread devoted to that episode.

Basically you simply make sure that no one can read a spoiler for an episode they haven't seen unless they choose to ignore the thread title. If they do that, it's their own fault. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Anf23

• Proud to be a knuckle dragger
What confused me most about this episode is the fact that said Anders played All along the Watchtower for his girlfriend, its not the most foolproof way to charm the pants of a girl, i know ive tried  :(

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
^Tori said he played it 'for us all'.

all in all, an amazing episode. Dee's suicide, ellen, everything.. wow...
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline newman

What confused me most about this episode is the fact that said Anders played All along the Watchtower for his girlfriend, its not the most foolproof way to charm the pants of a girl, i know ive tried  :(

You've tried it with the wrong girl. It does work, actually :D
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
^Tori said he played it 'for us all'.

Which suggests that the Final 5 actually knew each other on Earth before it was nuked.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline josh_88

I'm still not sold on Ellen, yeah we saw her but who knows how that could be explained. My thought has shifted to it being Dee, she picked up the jacks as if she had a memory like the other of the 5 did with other objects. her suicide went from happy and smiling moments before to cold and programmed when she shot herself. And there is the fact they made a point to show Lee dumping the jacks out with her stuff. When she got on the raptor at the start of the episode she was saying to herself don't freak out, dont freak out, which is not being depressed like everyone else, its saying I just learned something (after picking up the jacks) and I'm trying to deal with what I am. Then the next scene we see her in she's with hera. AND she's listed as being in the next 9 episodes... how can she be in them if she just shot herself. it would be just like RDM and his cliffhangers to leave us thinking its ellen only to throw us off for a bit and throw a twist in.

we may come to find out that they ALL lived on earth in another life but only the final five have memories of it for some reason. Dee's killing of herself seems like a perfect response to her programming being activated. she finally knows, programming kills her to get her out of her body and to some other place, to begin her role as the final cylon.

just saying, i think that was all too easy.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Why does the phrase 'I have met the enemy, and it is us' come to mind?

Offline josh_88

well I take back what I said after reading this post episode interview here http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/01/final-fifth-cylon-ellen-tigh-battlestar-galactica-dualla-dee-.html

but I still say Bah! I don't like Ellen as the final cylon and still doesn't explain why Dee is listed as being in the remaining 9 episodes

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
best way to deal with something that makes you sad?

be really insensitive about it:

:-(
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

The show has aired. No need for spoiler tags unless you're talking about something from a later show.

Thanks, I was just playing it safe, didn't want to go and inadvertently step on toes or spoil the show for someone.

Anyways, I've got a theory about the Final Five. What if these Five aren't actually the same people that were on Earth thousands of years ago, but descendants of them? Their memories could be inherited from their forebears, part of their genetic lineage. This would explain why they age, and how it is they're still walking around so far in the future. They could also be the crucial link to explain the existence of humanity, how they ended up in the Colonies.

Also, I'm thinking about Hera. We've known since the beginning that she's important somehow, yet she's rarely in the spotlight for long. Perhaps she's going to come to be the cement that bonds the humans and cylons together. As she's half-human, half-cylon, she's living proof that the two races can coexist, and she also may come to represent a master race, as it were; the logic and reason of the cylons, tempered by the heart and passion of the humans. Maybe she'll even grow up to become a leader of the combined peoples...

Ok, I'm done speculating for now, otherwise I'll be doing this all night. :P

Offline odo2063

the story about starbuck reminds me to the old series:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Starbuck_%28TOS%29

"Starbuck is among those who first encounter Count Iblis and when Iblis kills Apollo. He transports his body back towards Galactica. The shuttle is intercepted by the Beings of Light, and Starbuck has a chance to interact with them. Apollo is resurrected, and they return to Galactica with directions towards Earth."

...like someone is being resurrected with the way to earth. sounds familier to me...

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Cool but ... Poor Dualla, didn't expect that... I loved that girl...  Anyways, maybe is because this cheap frakking beer, or 'cos this ****ty weather, the damn world crysis or whatever... but this show has depressed me a little somehow.. Hope to see most action and/or other cool thingies as it moves forward down the road.
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It was quite depressing. But I think it'll only serve to enhance the moment when everyone finally picks themselves up and moves on.

I, for one, can't wait to see Admiral Adama acting like an admiral again. The poor guy.

Depressing? More like soul crushing. The shots aboard Galactica with all the crew members just sitting around in the hallways morosely is in stark contrast to the usual hustle and bustle we've seen. And I can understand why. These people have been on the run for years, heading towards what they thought was paradise, and when they finally get there...it's a nuclear wasteland. Yeah, I'd be a little sad too.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Frack
Earth

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
 :lol: me likes the new glow tag thingy... :p

Offline iamzack

I'm still not sold on Ellen, yeah we saw her but who knows how that could be explained. My thought has shifted to it being Dee, she picked up the jacks as if she had a memory like the other of the 5 did with other objects. her suicide went from happy and smiling moments before to cold and programmed when she shot herself. And there is the fact they made a point to show Lee dumping the jacks out with her stuff. When she got on the raptor at the start of the episode she was saying to herself don't freak out, dont freak out, which is not being depressed like everyone else, its saying I just learned something (after picking up the jacks) and I'm trying to deal with what I am. Then the next scene we see her in she's with hera. AND she's listed as being in the next 9 episodes... how can she be in them if she just shot herself. it would be just like RDM and his cliffhangers to leave us thinking its ellen only to throw us off for a bit and throw a twist in.

we may come to find out that they ALL lived on earth in another life but only the final five have memories of it for some reason. Dee's killing of herself seems like a perfect response to her programming being activated. she finally knows, programming kills her to get her out of her body and to some other place, to begin her role as the final cylon.

just saying, i think that was all too easy.

Most likely Covergirl would have decided to kill herself ages before she put the gun to her head. Before the date with Minimunchy, before babysitting Halfie, etc. Which would explain all her peace and happiness and chillaxing and stuff while everybody else was losing it. "Oh well, time to go about one last really good day, and then I'm done."
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.